advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
AP roundup article: "COVID-19 deaths and cases are on the rise again globally"
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: July 15, 2021 10:08AM
"You know, a lot of people think that goes away in April with the heat — as the heat comes in. Typically, that will go away in April."
Donald Trump
February, 10 2020

Associated Press covers the bad news around the World as Covid spikes once again. Includes U.S. trends

COVID-19 deaths and cases are on the rise again globally
[apnews.com]

COVID-19 deaths and cases are on the rise again globally in a dispiriting setback that is triggering another round of restrictions and dampening hopes for a return to normal life.

The World Health Organization reported Wednesday that deaths climbed last week after nine straight weeks of decline. It recorded more than 55,000 lives lost, a 3% increase from the week before.

Cases rose 10% last week to nearly 3 million, with the highest numbers recorded in Brazil, India, Indonesia and Britain, WHO said.

The reversal has been attributed to low vaccination rates, the relaxation of mask rules and other precautions, and the swift spread of the more-contagious delta variant, which WHO said has now been identified in 111 countries and is expected to become globally dominant in the coming months.
-
Amid the surge, the death toll in hard-hit Argentina surpassed 100,000. Daily coronavirus deaths in Russia hit record highs this week. In Belgium, COVID-19 infections, driven by the delta variant among the young, have almost doubled over the past week. Britain recorded a one-day total of more than 40,000 new cases for the first time in six months.

In Myanmar, crematoriums are working morning to night. In Indonesia, which recorded almost 1,000 deaths and over 54,000 new cases Wednesday, up from around 8,000 cases per day a month ago, people near Jakarta are pitching in to help gravediggers keep up.
-
Los Angeles County, the most populous county in the U.S., reported its fifth straight day Tuesday of more than 1,000 new cases.

Tokyo is under a fourth state of emergency ahead of the Summer Games this month, with infections climbing fast and hospital beds filling up. Experts have said caseloads could rise above 1,000 before the Olympics and multiply to thousands during the games.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: AP roundup article: "COVID-19 deaths and cases are on the rise again globally"
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: July 15, 2021 12:31PM
This increase is due to three factors:
  • The increased contagiousness of the Delta variant.
  • Worldwide relaxation of COVID infectious control measures.
  • The relatively large number of people who remain unvaccinated.
Until enough people have been vaccinated to provide herd immunity or infectious control measures are tightened again, we should expect to see infections to continue to rise. It's as simple as that.

It's important to understand that new infections are limited primarily to unvaccinated people, a group that is primarily comprised of two subgroups of people:
  • People who have made a conscious decision to leave themselves vulnerable to the virus.
  • Children under 12 years of age.
The latter group has no control over whether it can receive the vaccine. It is currently not permitted to receive it, something which I believe needs to change as soon as possible. I assume we should have enough data available at this point to determine whether it is safe to administer the vaccine to this group. Obviously, every member of this group that receives the vaccine moves us that much closer to herd immunity.

As for the first group? As far as I am concerned, they are on their own. Make own bed, lie in it. Arrivederci and best of luck.

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2021 12:32PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Re: AP roundup article: "COVID-19 deaths and cases are on the rise again globally"
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 15, 2021 12:42PM
Make own bed, lie in it. Arrivederci and best of luck.

This reminds me of a Johny Carson show I saw years ago.

In his monolog he mentions an upcoming holiday, maybe Memorial Day, I don't remember.

He said something like:

'This Memorial Day weekend, 60,000 people are expected to die in drunk driving car accidents. To those of you, good-bye.'

Yikes.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: July 15, 2021 12:49PM
N-OS X-tasy!
As for the first group? As far as I am concerned, they are on their own. Make own bed, lie in it. Arrivederci and best of luck.

Unfortunately, the behavior of this group DOES affect the rest of us. They take up critically needed emergency and hospital bed space. They absorb medical supplies and take a toll on the critical care medical personnel. And let's not forget that all the rest of us pay for them and their illness, even if indirectly. Lastly, if in this population, further mutations occur that make the vaccines ineffective, then we're all screwed.

On my last trip out of the house (wearing an N95, of course), I went to a Lowes. I noticed that nearly everyone was maskless. I asked the cashier about it, realizing that because I was outdoors in the Garden Center section, that was likely the reason. What I got back stunned me -- the young man (I would say he was late teens or early 20's) smirked at me and informed me that he'd not gotten the vaccine because "[he] doesn't trust it". What the basis of this lack of trust is, I didn't push or pursue with him, mostly because I just really, really wanted to get home at that point. But had I had the time, I would have happily and thoughtfully debated the issue with him, and so I think the vaccine hesitancy (if you want to call it that) needs to be challenged and called out in a polite, respectful way.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2021 12:49PM by PeterB.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: July 15, 2021 01:36PM
RAMd®d
Make own bed, lie in it. Arrivederci and best of luck.

This reminds me of a Johny Carson show I saw years ago.

In his monolog he mentions an upcoming holiday, maybe Memorial Day, I don't remember.

He said something like:

'This Memorial Day weekend, 60,000 people are expected to die in drunk driving car accidents. To those of you, good-bye.'

Yikes.

OT, but for the record - Memorial day traffic deaths in the U.S. range between 300 to 500; a fraction of a fraction of that "60,000" (500/60,000 = 0.0083%)

[injuryfacts.nsc.org]
Posted by: numbered
Date: July 15, 2021 01:38PM
A colleague just posted this about a neighboring county in the Bay Area:

In San Mateo county we got down to `1 new case per day. Now we are at 35 new cases per day. These are 14 day moving averages and the numbers have spiked in the last few days. So, they are likely to be higher than they seem.
Calculation: reported 64 new cases per 100K; 14 day moving average; ~775K people in countysad smiley64/14)X7.75

County vaccination status percent of eligible:
one or more shots 87.7%
series completed 78%

Even with huge vaccination numbers we are seeing increases... A big part of the story seems to be kids here who are not yet eligible. Yikes.
Date: July 15, 2021 02:03PM
numbered
Even with huge vaccination numbers we are seeing increases... A big part of the story seems to be kids here who are not yet eligible.

That and the change in people's behaviors regarding infectious control measures. I guarantee most unvaccinated people are not wearing masks. Whereas they were protected when everyone was required to wear a mask, now they are not. The result is that they are spreading the virus amongst themselves.

It is what it is.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 15, 2021 02:41PM
OT, but for the record - Memorial day traffic deaths in the U.S. range between 300 to 500; a fraction of a fraction of that "60,000" (500/60,000 = 0.0083%)

It was Johnny's joke, not mine.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 15, 2021 04:26PM
what is missing in far far too many humans these days, all around the world, is understanding and living life with the knowledge that our choices and behavior affects others.

Being willing to make a minor concession so that others may live.

You are not required to be vaccinated here in the US, at least not by the government. But what about an individual's personal code if you will, that says they will help others when they can? Do you not care about those around you?

The numbers are staggering when you look at how many of the deaths are unvaccinated. dunno smiley

I was in my partner's mom's hospital room, gowned, masked and gloved, sleeping on the floor, so she wouldn't die alone. Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day. How were YOUR holidays?

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: July 15, 2021 05:47PM
N-OS X-tasy!
numbered
Even with huge vaccination numbers we are seeing increases... A big part of the story seems to be kids here who are not yet eligible.

That and the change in people's behaviors regarding infectious control measures. I guarantee most unvaccinated people are not wearing masks. Whereas they were protected when everyone was required to wear a mask, now they are not. The result is that they are spreading the virus amongst themselves.

We really need a safe vaccine for kids aged 5-12. I'm curious what schools are going to do for masking in grades that cannot be vaccinated.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Date: July 15, 2021 05:54PM
Racer X
what is missing in far far too many humans these days, all around the world, is understanding and living life with the knowledge that our choices and behavior affects others.

You are not required to be vaccinated here in the US, at least not by the government. But what about an individual's personal code if you will, that says they will help others when they can? Do you not care about those around you?

The numbers are staggering when you look at how many of the deaths are unvaccinated. dunno smiley

I agree 1000% with what you've written. For the record, I think it's a MAJOR mistake to not require people to get vaccinated. The time has come to stop coddling people.

For example: In response to the recent "alarming" rise in COVID infections, L.A. County announced today it has once again mandated wearing masks in indoor spaces, effective midnight Sunday. What is the reason for the "alarming" rise in COVID infections? PEOPLE WHO REFUSE TO GET VACCINATED. All data shows that at least 99% of recent COVID-caused hospitalizations are among unvaccinated persons.

But instead of requiring people to do their part to end the pandemic by getting vaccinated, instead we pander to them and burden ALL persons with the requirement to wear masks -- even those who HAVE done their part by getting vaccinated.

Reward the holdouts and penalize the civic-minded. That about sums up American society in 2021.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 15, 2021 07:49PM
Here in the US, we can't force someone to get vaccinated. In principal I agree. However, make it mandatory for them to wear an approved mask, can't use public transportation, and allow private business to mandate vaccine or work alone/from home. All are legit health reasons.

Their individual civil liberty doesn't negate those of the the other 340+ million they live with here.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: PeterB
Date: July 15, 2021 08:33PM
Racer X

I was in my partner's mom's hospital room, gowned, masked and gloved, sleeping on the floor, so she wouldn't die alone. Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day. How were YOUR holidays?

What I've been saying all along -- we now live in an extraordinarily narcissistic society, where all that matters is "me, me, me" ... to hell with the other guy.

I disagree about the inability to mandate vaccinations. We sometimes allow personal choice to go too far in this country -- asking or even requiring people to take a vaccine or wear a mask is not tantamount to a great loss of personal liberties. (It's not as if we're telling people how many children they can have, or that they don't have the right to voice their opinions-- but ultimately we all have to agree that behaviors that are injurious to other people, like not taking these basic public health precautions-- are unacceptable.)

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Date: July 15, 2021 08:41PM
Racer X
Here in the US, we can't force someone to get vaccinated. In principal I agree. However, make it mandatory for them to wear an approved mask, can't use public transportation, and allow private business to mandate vaccine or work alone/from home. All are legit health reasons.

Their individual civil liberty doesn't negate those of the the other 340+ million they live with here.

Then let them suffer the consequences of their own stupidity and leave the rest of us to live our lives in peace and normalcy.

A primary reason the polio and smallpox vaccination campaigns were so successful was that people were afraid of the consequences of NOT being vaccinated. Clearly we haven’t reached that point with COVID yet. I say put things back to normal and let the chips fall where they may. In the end, fear will likely accomplish what reason could not.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: July 15, 2021 10:20PM
Things will change as soon as the vaccines are officially approved by the FDA. Then it going to be mandatory, like the other approved vaccines.

Unless you like polio.
Smallpox redux?
Posted by: AllGold
Date: July 16, 2021 02:53PM
Steve G.
Things will change as soon as the vaccines are officially approved by the FDA. Then it going to be mandatory, like the other approved vaccines.

Unless you like polio.
Smallpox redux?

It will only be mandatory for kids to attend public schools. Adults will be allowed to continue to be as stupid as they want.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 113
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020