advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
How did I never know about the things the Canadians were doing to indigenous children?
Posted by: rgG
Date: July 15, 2021 05:20PM
This was in the 1970’s, not the 1870s.
How is this just now coming to light to the rest of the world?
And, how the hell is the Catholic Church mixed up in yet another atrocity and in cahoots with the Canadian government on this one.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How did I never know about the things the Canadians were doing to indigenous children?
Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 15, 2021 05:32PM
Um, not just Canadians........

And it came to light weeks ago. I heard about it first on the radio, oddly enough, as we were driving through a reservation.

How many had to know about it and NO ONE said a single word. The back hoe at 3am wasn't a tip off?

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Re: How did I never know about the things the Canadians were doing to indigenous children?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 15, 2021 05:34PM
Maybe because we were doing similar things here in the US and everyone thought it was just fine?

Posted by: JoeH
Date: July 15, 2021 05:42PM

And, how the hell is the Catholic Church mixed up in yet another atrocity and in cahoots with the Canadian government on this one.

Not just the Catholic church, other churches were involved. Catholic religious ran just over half of the residential schools, the rest were run by the Anglicans, the United Church of Canada, and Presbyterians.

Churches started issuing apologies for their role in the schools starting back in the mid-1980s, it took until 2008 before the government of Canada issued a formal apology.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 15, 2021 06:04PM
It also happened in the US (and just about every other country that had a significant native population and an influx of Christian missionaries).

There are still remnants going on, the incidence of rape/murder/missing-persons for Indigenous women and girls is higher than other groups.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: July 15, 2021 06:15PM
In the US in the 1980s, states were still removing tribal children from good homes and placing them in these boarding schools. Until the Indian Child Welfare Act of 1978, this was a common practice.

[www.childwelfare.gov]

I have a beautiful friend in Seattle, a member of the Colville tribe, who was taken from her family on the reservation in Washington and sent to a boarding school in Montana when she was about 8. She was told it was because her house was dirty and her grandmother was too old to care for her. At that time all houses on the reservation had dirt floors and the grandma's watched the kids while parents worked amd did chores. It was their norm, but it became the excuse to remove children so they could be separated from their languages and culture and be more "American."

My friend escaped when a relative came to visit and took her back home. When officials came looking for her, the grandmother pretended not to understand English so they left.

Yes these schools were run by churches but they were funded by tax dollars and sanctioned by government.

I had never heard any of this stuff before meeting her. I also did not know the extent to which our government has never honored the treaties that were made with tribes.

At least the Canadians are trying to be honest and deal with this past.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: July 15, 2021 06:28PM
rgG
This was in the 1970’s, not the 1870s.
How is this just now coming to light to the rest of the world?

The United States, Australia and New Zealand are also guilty of this practice.

Posted by: p8712
Date: July 15, 2021 06:39PM
A few years ago one of these places was found locally, here in Florida. Not just for minorities either. So many deaths that will be lost to history.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: July 15, 2021 06:41PM
That's okay, they forgive themselves.
Posted by: Spock
Date: July 15, 2021 07:55PM
p8712
A few years ago one of these places was found locally, here in Florida. Not just for minorities either. So many deaths that will be lost to history.

Are you thinking of the Arthur G. Dozier School for Boys, Florida’s first juvenile detention center for boys.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Comedy Central: Best news channel that isn't a news channel.

Fox News: Best comedy channel that isn't a comedy channel.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 15, 2021 09:31PM
Native Americans consistently get the shaft on nearly everything. It's atrocious.
Posted by: rgG
Date: July 15, 2021 09:57PM
I just had no idea.
I know the Native Americans have suffered incredible horrors since the first white men landed here, but I had no idea about the removal of their children.
That the government and churches would take their children is horrible.
But, I guess the same thing is happening right now in China with the Uighers, so I should not be shocked that people don’t change that much.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: p8712
Date: July 15, 2021 10:15PM
Spock
p8712

Are you thinking of the Arthur G. Dozier School for Boys, Florida’s first juvenile detention center for boys.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Familiar, but I feel like it is another place in Fl. Still. Dozier is a terrible place.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: July 16, 2021 10:35AM
I believe Ireland had a similar pattern of atrocities where babies of unwed mothers were taken by the Catholic Church and sent to orphanages where many of them “failed to thrive” under horrific conditions. Mass graves were discovered there, too.

Church and state should never be allowed do business with each other. Religious beliefs backed by the power of government are a prescription for disaster.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2021 10:36AM by Ammo.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: July 16, 2021 11:30AM
Steve G.
That's okay, they forgive themselves.

It’s the White Man’s Burden, you know.
Posted by: Wags
Date: July 16, 2021 01:31PM
The Daily did a good segment on this topic this morning: [www.nytimes.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 404
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020