advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Free heroin, cocaine and meth handed out outside of the Vancouver Police Department
Posted by: p8712
Date: July 15, 2021 07:02PM
3.5 g. Lightweights!

It’s for harm reduction, naturally. Not too terrible an idea.

Advocates for a safe supply of drugs handed out heroin, cocaine and methamphetamine outside the Vancouver Police Department Wednesday (July 14) afternoon.

City Councillor Jean Swanson, along with members of the Drug User Liberation Front (DULF) and the Vancouver Area Network of Drug Users (VANDU), distributed the free drugs outside the Vancouver Police Department.

The collective action demonstrates the "life-saving potential of a community-led response to the crisis of prohibition in Canada" as a necessary alternative to Vancouver's proposed model of decriminalization, explains a news release. The drugs that were handed out were tested via "FTIR spectrometry and immunoassay, and are free of fentanyl, fentanyl analogues, benzodiazepines, and other harmful adulterants."

Jeremy Kalicum, DULF organizer, tells Vancouver Is Awesome that “the crisis is unbearable and it is ridiculous that we have to put ourselves at risk to move forward with a commonsense harm reduction principle.”

The group spent roughly $3,000 on drugs and distributed it among four groups. "We gave out more than the proposed threshold limit that's in Vancouver's proposed model.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Free heroin, cocaine and meth handed out outside of the Vancouver Police Department
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: July 15, 2021 07:06PM
We gotta do something because tainted drugs are killing tens of thousands of us .
Re: Free heroin, cocaine and meth handed out outside of the Vancouver Police Department
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 15, 2021 09:15PM
Legalize and treat addicts. Just like we treat alcohol addicts and don’t jail them.
Posted by: vision63
Date: July 15, 2021 09:51PM
Come to Oakland, we're overrun with the strung out. They'd need a semi trunk full of it.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 15, 2021 11:16PM
cbelt3
Legalize and treat addicts. Just like we treat alcohol addicts and don’t jail them.

Yes! Then we wouldn’t have so many gangs shooting each other.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: August West
Date: July 16, 2021 10:17AM
Vansterdam, almost relocated there from LA.

Posted by: testcase
Date: July 16, 2021 01:26PM
Lemon Drop
We gotta do something because tainted drugs are killing tens of thousands of us .

aw.........

Death FIXES stupid.
Date: July 16, 2021 07:53PM
testcase
Lemon Drop

aw.........

Death FIXES stupid.

I'd like us to aim a little higher.
Date: July 16, 2021 07:54PM
August West
Vansterdam, almost relocated there from LA.

The heroin scene up there is pretty shocking, even to the more jaded among us.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: July 16, 2021 11:11PM
Death is the horrible end result that can be avoided in some cases so I agree we should try. But, though I haven't read the research on it, I have a hunch that where there are overdose deaths there are probably a lot of other people that are actively using drugs. And because the drugs are expensive and very often lead to not being able to work to have a regular income, I think there is also an increase in crime to pay for drugs and "living" that corresponds to the increase in drug use.

Is there a general increase in drug use, though? I don't actually know, but, if so, then people who die of an overdose may the the unfortunate tip of a drug abuse iceberg disaster that effects all of us. I'm in favor of reducing the need to steal to get drugs and survive - if that is what is happening - by giving drugs that are carefully tested for purity. If it works, less overdose deaths and less crimes - sounds good to me.

And if there is a general increase in drug use, I would really like us to figure out why and see what we can do to mitigate the underlying causes.

e pluribus unum
Posted by: August West
Date: July 18, 2021 08:32PM

Death FIXES stupid.

Yeah, but in certain cases it just takes a long time.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 409
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020