advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Coup-coo...On Jan 6 Pence team feared Secret Service was in on it
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: July 15, 2021 08:15PM
Wowzer.
New book "I alone can fix it" contains this story.

[www.washingtonpost.com]

During the insurrection, Pence refused to leave the Capital with the Secret Service. His aides were afraid they would fly him to Alaska or something so he couldn't certify the vote.

(Corrected)

This man needs to come clean about what he knows.
He owes it to the country.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2021 06:25AM by Lemon Drop.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Coup-coo...On Jan 6 Pence refused to get in car with Secret Service because he feared they were in on it
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: July 15, 2021 08:42PM
Can someone ease my mind as to the veracity of these political books?
Re: Coup-coo...On Jan 6 Pence refused to get in car with Secret Service because he feared they were in on it
Date: July 15, 2021 08:49PM
Dennis S

This particular book is well sourced and written by respected journalists.

This NPR review goes into that a bit
[www.npr.org]
Posted by: p8712
Date: July 15, 2021 09:17PM
Dennis S

Imagine the most insane, asinine, outlandish, bizarre, unbelievable stories. Multiplied by 10. That should get you fairly close to the truth of the last five years.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: July 15, 2021 09:38PM
No.

Pence said he wanted to not be seen leaving since it could be interpreted as fleeing and giving up on his duty to certify the election. You’ve confused their prime directive of his safety with something imagined about preventing him from certifying.
Posted by: hal
Date: July 15, 2021 10:02PM
Around this time, Kellogg ran into Tony Ornato in the West Wing. Ornato, who oversaw Secret Service movements, told him that Pence’s detail was planning to move the vice president to Joint Base Andrews.

“You can’t do that, Tony,” Kellogg said. “Leave him where he’s at. He’s got a job to do. I know you guys too well. You’ll fly him to Alaska if you have a chance. Don’t do it.”

It was Kellogg - a whitehouse staffer that mentioned alaska
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: July 15, 2021 10:15PM
and to think, Vice President McFly was a hamburger choke away from the Oval Office.

The entire clown corps should be jailed.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: July 15, 2021 11:47PM
If true, this whole thing stinks to high heaven. Reading that WaPo article, what really struck me is how little the general public knew of what was going on inside closed doors that day.

For example, how Romney behaved and reacted -- all of which seems quite reasonable under those circumstances. As compared to Dump, who truly seems to have a personality disorder (or maybe a few of them). And if this accounting of the day's events is true, he really should be charged with high treason. To just be sitting there watching TV as the whole thing was happening, and having to be goaded into making three different versions of a presentation (of which the one we saw being the most "acceptable") ... it's the virtual definition of willful negligence and depraved indifference. Lighting a fire and watching it burn.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Date: July 16, 2021 06:17AM
hal
Around this time, Kellogg ran into Tony Ornato in the West Wing. Ornato, who oversaw Secret Service movements, told him that Pence’s detail was planning to move the vice president to Joint Base Andrews.

“You can’t do that, Tony,” Kellogg said. “Leave him where he’s at. He’s got a job to do. I know you guys too well. You’ll fly him to Alaska if you have a chance. Don’t do it.”

It was Kellogg - a whitehouse staffer that mentioned alaska

Right. His aides told the Secret Service that they, meaning the Pence team, were worried they would fly him away from the Capitol. No reason to take him to Andrews if the White House was safe for Trump. So good for Pence.
Re: Coup-coo...On Jan 6 Pence team feared Secret Service was in on it
Posted by: Acer
Date: July 16, 2021 08:50AM
We'd all like to see have seen more, but Pence did do the most important thing we needed him to do in that moment: certify the vote.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 16, 2021 09:51AM
Even if the crowd had advanced on Pence, his Secret Service detail would have mowed them down - full auto.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 16, 2021 11:01AM
Considering Trump tried to have Pence killed by 'his mob'...
Posted by: Ted King
Date: July 16, 2021 11:08AM
Speedy
Even if the crowd had advanced on Pence, his Secret Service detail would have mowed them down - full auto.

Yeah, it would have been a bloodbath.

e pluribus unum
Posted by: testcase
Date: July 16, 2021 01:07PM
Dennis S

As far as I'm concerned, ALL "political" books / materials should be taken with a shovelful of salt.
Date: July 16, 2021 01:26PM
Speedy

Yep that would have produced a few more Ashli Babbits, but it also would have given the Service cover to take him away from the Capitol then declare it too dangerous for him to return and certify the election.

Much as I disagree with Pence about most things, he was a patriot that day. Imagine if Trump had had a VP more like himself?
Posted by: AllGold
Date: July 16, 2021 02:48PM
Based on a recent book about the secret service (forget the author's name), that is not beyond the realm of possibility. According to the book, there was a lot of very partisan MAGA-loving agents.

Posted by: hal
Date: July 16, 2021 02:54PM
AllGold
Based on a recent book about the secret service (forget the author's name), that is not beyond the realm of possibility. According to the book, there was a lot of very partisan MAGA-loving agents.

that was Zero Fail by Carol Leonnig - she co-wrote this book (cited in the OP) as well
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: July 16, 2021 06:49PM
hal
AllGold

that was Zero Fail by Carol Leonnig - she co-wrote this book (cited in the OP) as well

Even a single agent, if radicalized enough and with the resources of a Secret Service insider, could have turned that smoldering tinderbox into a conflagration that we’d still be trying to extinguish. The thought that there are more than one near that precipice of insanity leaves me breathless.

National Suicide Prevention Hotline tel:1-800-273-8255

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 118
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020