advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Is anyone getting an antibody test or have so recently?
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 16, 2021 01:11PM
I"m curious, as the fee for a test has come down significantly, so it may satisfy some curiosity. However, if it remains dubious as to the efficacy of the actual test, I would pass. PeterB?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Is anyone getting an antibody test or have so recently?
Posted by: PeterB
Date: July 16, 2021 03:05PM
Depending on the test (and vaccine), one would expect to come up positively if one is mounting an immune response to the vaccine. I did. The problem though is that it's not certain that the antibodies being detected are necessarily of the "neutralizing" type, and therefore that you're necessarily protected. For this and other reasons, in general they therefore recommend against using the antibody tests as a way to measure vaccine effectiveness.

My case was different, as we wanted to see if I was mounting ANY response... my immunologist and I have agreed that I should be retested after 3 months, as it's possible that I might see a sharp waning of response by that time. (I normally have very poor responses to vaccines, both in terms of initial response, as well as duration/durability of response...)

As for cost -- I haven't been charged so far, as it's medically necessary in my case as per my doc.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2021 04:22PM by PeterB.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 16, 2021 03:18PM
Yeah, the cost would be mine to bear.

So, you only got the test post-vaccine. Hmm. I wonder if there are reports of folks who managed to do it pre and post. It would also have to be the exact same test.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: July 16, 2021 03:20PM
waste of money imho

i'd line up for a different vaccine in another state before paying for an antibody test
Posted by: hal
Date: July 16, 2021 03:34PM
If I really wanted to do it, I'd do three tests. You can't trust just one and if two disagree, you need a 3rd to break the tie.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 16, 2021 03:55PM
Give blood and they’ll test you for free.

Posted by: PeterB
Date: July 16, 2021 04:09PM
1) I knew that I needn't have bothered to get it pre-, because I've never had corona.

2) Remember that I've gotten the test twice, once after the J&J and once after Pfizer. (In retrospect, it would have been good if I'd also have gotten tested after the first Pfizer shot in addition to the second to compare the results, but hindsight is 20/20.)

3) The likelihood of a false positive or false negative on the test I got (semi-quant IgG spike antibody) is of course not zero, but it is very, very low. So I tend to trust the result. This is something I did ask my immunologist her opinion about, too.

4) This is also why I'll be getting tested a third time, three months after the last (second) test.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2021 04:11PM by PeterB.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 16, 2021 05:24PM
.....some work places offer free test.....if not.....State/City must have places where one can get a free test......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 16, 2021 09:58PM
I belong to Kaiser and seriously doubt they'd give me one antibody test just because I'm curious, let alone three.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 77
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020