advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Texas has lower taxes than California - if you are rich.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: July 17, 2021 11:19AM
From Kevin Drum:

As you can see, for 80% of its residents, the tax rate in Texas is higher or about the same as it is in California. This is because the California income tax is quite low for most residents, while sales and property taxes are higher in Texas. When you put it all together, you're better off in California unless you're in the affluent top 20%. Then you're better off in Texas.

And you're really better off if you're in the top 1%, where California taxes run to about 12% compared to 3% for Texas.

Anyway, that's the story. Yes, the total tax take in Texas is far less than in California. But that's solely because Texas has very low rates on the rich. As usual in red states, the Texas model is low taxes (on the rich) and low services (for everyone else).

e pluribus unum
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Texas has lower taxes than California - if you are rich.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: July 17, 2021 11:36AM
"And you're really better off if you're in the top 1%, "

Ain't that the truth.

Not sure how Dems in Texas leverage this, because like their GOP opponents, they like to sell Texas as better than California. I guess "tax the rich because they are screwing you over?"
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 17, 2021 11:41AM
You don't have power outages if you have a 10 kW generator at your first, second, and third homes (and your motor home, toy hauler, yacht, etc.).

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: July 17, 2021 12:06PM
Two rules of personal wealth:

1. The Rich get richer

2. The Rich get richer
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 17, 2021 12:18PM
Lemon Drop
"And you're really better off if you're in the top 1%, "

Ain't that the truth.

Not sure how Dems in Texas leverage this, because like their GOP opponents, they like to sell Texas as better than California. I guess "tax the rich because they are screwing you over?"

The biggest challenge for Dems is the truth vs reality of wealth in this country. There was a poll, now famous, that shows this. When people were asked whether they were in the top 1% of wealth, want to take a stab at how many THOUGHT they were?

20%.

Let that sink in. Roughly 1/5 people who live in the upper middle class THINK they are in the top 1%. These are the top leaders of Dems. They have NO idea how much $$ true 1%ers have in this country.
Posted by: vision63
Date: July 17, 2021 12:31PM
When you tax the rich, you can get riches.

California has a staggering $75.7B budget surplus
[www.politico.com]
Date: July 17, 2021 12:37PM
vision63

[www.politico.com]

Wow. While I get the political appeal to Newsome of rebates back to middle income folks, I hope they invest some of that in education, healthcare, all that good stuff, and save some for a rainy (or maybe extremely hot and on fire) day because those are coming.
Date: July 17, 2021 12:46PM
"To be top 1% [U.S.] in 2020, a household needed a net worth of $11,099,166."

"ultra-high net worth individuals...net wealth exceeds $30 million."

"An individual in the US needs a net wealth of $4.4 million to be among the richest 1% in the world..."

What it takes to be in the top 1% of every state
Date: July 17, 2021 01:45PM
Lemon Drop
vision63

[www.politico.com]

Wow. While I get the political appeal to Newsome of rebates back to middle income folks, I hope they invest some of that in education, healthcare, all that good stuff, and save some for a rainy (or maybe extremely hot and on fire) day because those are coming.

50% of all of California's tax money is constitutionally directed to Education. They have more than enough money to achieve any objective.

This state is mega-rich. If we have problems it's not because we don't have enough money to resolve it. It's not having the "will" to apply the necessary solutions that will effectively eliminate the problem.

In life, In politics and every where else. You get what you tolerate.

It was Jerry Brown that set the stage for all of these surplusses. Here are his recent thoughts:

Former Gov. Jerry Brown: ‘Fiscal Stress' Coming, State Needs ‘Control and Discipline' on Homeless Crisis
[www.nbclosangeles.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2021 01:50PM by vision63.
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 17, 2021 02:56PM
CA is the poorest, richest country in the world.

Despite all the cash, a terrible electric grid and tons of homeless.
Date: July 17, 2021 03:02PM
sekker

On the other hand, California just hit 95% renewable energy. California doesn't have a homeless problem. It's has a substance abuse problem.
Posted by: samintx
Date: July 17, 2021 03:40PM
My kids want me to move t CA. I won't. TX no tax and property tax on my 3 bedroom only 1200.00 and can only go down frozen homestead amount. So much cheaper living in TX if you can get by the politics.
Date: July 17, 2021 03:52PM
samintx
My kids want me to move t CA. I won't. TX no tax and property tax on my 3 bedroom only 1200.00 and can only go down frozen homestead amount. So much cheaper living in TX if you can get by the politics.

I don't doubt that for some individuals that aren't rich they may pay less taxes in Texas than California (e.g., with you the "frozen homestead" thing probably plays a role in why it's cheaper for you in Texas). The chart in the OP shows the total taxes paid by everyone within different income brackets.

e pluribus unum
Date: July 17, 2021 03:58PM

e pluribus unum

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2021 03:59PM by Ted King.
Date: July 17, 2021 04:25PM
vision63
sekker

On the other hand, California just hit 95% renewable energy. California doesn't have a homeless problem. It's has a substance abuse problem.

California has a big homelessness problem. The main cause of homelessness is lack of affordable housing.
Date: July 17, 2021 04:27PM
Lemon Drop
vision63
sekker

California has a big homelessness problem. The main cause of homelessness is lack of affordable housing.

I 100% disagree. I'm right here in the middle of it. The reason why it keeps getting worse is because they keep attacking the wrong problems.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2021 04:29PM by vision63.
Date: July 17, 2021 04:48PM
Lemon Drop

In a sense, yes. Anyone who has insufficient money, for whatever reason, cannot "afford" housing. But many homeless have NO income because they are unemployable. They cannot "afford" housing at any price.

"...homelessness is overwhelmingly coincident with socioeconomic vulnerability and with poor behavioral health, both mental illness and substance abuse..."

"... impairments such as depression, untreated mental illness, post traumatic stress disorder, and physical disabilities are also responsible for a large portion of the homeless."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2021 04:49PM by DeusxMac.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: July 17, 2021 07:06PM
Pretty much every state has lower taxes than CA.

It is what it is.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 17, 2021 07:08PM
samintx

How are the schools where you live?

Posted by: hal
Date: July 17, 2021 07:31PM
samintx

property tax in CA is much less than in TX:

[taxfoundation.org]
Date: July 17, 2021 07:41PM
hal
samintx

property tax in CA is much less than in TX:

[taxfoundation.org]

Yes, but as a percentage of home value! Compare prices of comparable homes in Texas to California.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: July 17, 2021 07:57PM
hal
property tax in CA is much less than in TX

Property taxes are a special case, thanks to Prop. 13. And I think you'll find that it's the average (or, as your diagram indicated, the mean) CA property tax rate that's lower than other states - properties that are assessed at their current values would, I expect, be much higher.

It is what it is.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 17, 2021 08:01PM
....son of a......rich.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: July 17, 2021 08:21PM
vision63
Lemon Drop
vision63
sekker

I 100% disagree. I'm right here in the middle of it. The reason why it keeps getting worse is because they keep attacking the wrong problems.

I also lived in the middle of it in Seattle, it got exponentially worse each year as housing prices far exceeded any gains in income, highly paid tech workers took over, and the city became unaffordable for people in low income jobs. That left Moms with kids living in cars and a lot of people couch surfing while trying to figure it out. And those people have jobs. They can't get the $5k together for deposit, first and last months rent. Or their credit is ruined from inability to pay high rents.

The cities that have homelessness as a major social problem, like the Bay area and Seattle, have lack of affordable housing in common.

I'm not ignoring how state budget cuts to social programs after the 2008 financial crisis made everything worse. We badly underspend on mental health and substance abuse treatment.
No question.

But cities can help all people better when they have ways to get them into safe, affordable housing. That is at the root of it all.
Date: July 17, 2021 10:24PM
Lemon Drop
vision63
Lemon Drop
vision63
sekker

I also lived in the middle of it in Seattle, it got exponentially worse each year as housing prices far exceeded any gains in income, highly paid tech workers took over, and the city became unaffordable for people in low income jobs. That left Moms with kids living in cars and a lot of people couch surfing while trying to figure it out. And those people have jobs. They can't get the $5k together for deposit, first and last months rent. Or their credit is ruined from inability to pay high rents.

The cities that have homelessness as a major social problem, like the Bay area and Seattle, have lack of affordable housing in common.

I'm not ignoring how state budget cuts to social programs after the 2008 financial crisis made everything worse. We badly underspend on mental health and substance abuse treatment.
No question.

But cities can help all people better when they have ways to get them into safe, affordable housing. That is at the root of it all.

Any "mom" living in her car can receive immediate shelter in California. Full Stop. If they are, it's because they want to. If they do, it's generally because they need to be in a situation whereby they can have access to what they "think" they need, and they're willing to sacrifice for it.

It's really hard to get many many people to take advantage of these programs. People that don't like rules and restrictions won't for sure. And many people that get the daily dope they need don't think they have a problem.

You kinda got to go through some very unpleasant channels. Job one, is emergency shelter. Job two is transitional housing. Job three is permanent housing. Yes, it can take too much time. Homeless veterans have many more avenues to restoration.

I'm not trying to trivialize or express indifference to what people are suffering. It is a major crisis. But ultimately, it's manageable. But we're going to have to heal people in order to help them bounce back. But if people think we're going to throw a bunch of junkies in homes and think that's going to work out, then they need to think again.
Date: July 18, 2021 09:56AM
vision63
Lemon Drop
vision63
Lemon Drop
vision63
sekker

No question.

Any "mom" living in her car can receive immediate shelter in California. Full Stop. If they are, it's because they want to. If they do, it's generally because they need to be in a situation whereby they can have access to what they "think" they need, and they're willing to sacrifice for it.

It's really hard to get many many people to take advantage of these programs. People that don't like rules and restrictions won't for sure. And many people that get the daily dope they need don't think they have a problem.

You kinda got to go through some very unpleasant channels. Job one, is emergency shelter. Job two is transitional housing. Job three is permanent housing. Yes, it can take too much time. Homeless veterans have many more avenues to restoration.

I'm not trying to trivialize or express indifference to what people are suffering. It is a major crisis. But ultimately, it's manageable. But we're going to have to heal people in order to help them bounce back. But if people think we're going to throw a bunch of junkies in homes and think that's going to work out, then they need to think again.

You have many people including youths and families who cannot find shelter in California. 70% of the total homeless population are unsheltered. So huge and growing a problem that the state decided to add billions to the budget this spring to try and help.
Before I started learning more about this problem I associated it more with substance abuse and mental health problems, not families going through hard times. I think it's easier for is to focus on the former because we think, well that's their fault, rather than seeing that there for the grace of God go I.

[stateofreform.com]

"According to a report released by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), California saw a 6.8% increase in homelessness between 2019 and 2020, and a 16.2% increase between 2007 and 2020. This increase from 2019-2020 is the largest increase in a state in that time frame.

The 2020 Annual Homeless Assessment Report found that California accounted for more than half of all unsheltered people in the country. This is nearly nine times the number of unsheltered people in the state with the next highest number.

Forty-one per 10,000 people were homeless in California, and 70% of the homeless people in the state were without shelter.

In Los Angeles City and County there were 63,706 people experiencing homelessness, 72% of whom had no shelter at all. 

California also experienced a large increase in the percentage of homeless people in families during 2019-2020, an increase of about 14.6% or 3,276 people. This is 15% of the people in families experiencing homelessness in the nation.

Youth homelessness is also a major issue in California. The state reported the largest numbers of homeless unaccompanied youth in the nation, 12,172 people, accounting for nearly a third of all unaccompanied youth nationally.

Three major cities in California had percentages of unaccompanied youth staying in unsheltered

locations exceeding 75%: San Jose (96%), San Francisco (80%) and Oakland (77%). Four suburban areas had rates of unaccompanied youth without shelter of 95% or higher: Marin County (97%), San Luis Obispo (97%), Santa Cruz (97%) and Imperial County (95%).

California’s 11,401 veterans accounted for 31% of all veterans experiencing homelessness in the United States, which is more than half of all unsheltered veterans.

Homelessness grew by 2% nationwide from 2019 to 2020. This marks the fourth consecutive year that total homelessness has increased in the United States. 

The report found homelessness increased significantly among unsheltered populations and people that are experiencing chronic homelessness. Veteran homelessness did not decrease from 2019 to 2020, and family homelessness did not decrease for the first time since 2010. People of color are also significantly over-represented among the homeless population."
Posted by: pdq
Date: July 18, 2021 11:42AM
To be fair, weather-wise, California tends to be a little easier place to be homeless.

The crude saying up North here used to be “thirty below keeps the riff-raff out”. We do have homeless people here too, obviously, but it undeniably is tough to go through our winters if you’re living in a tent or a car.
Date: July 18, 2021 12:48PM
Lemon Drop
You have many people including youths and families who cannot find shelter in California. 70% of the total homeless population are unsheltered. So huge and growing a problem that the state decided to add billions to the budget this spring to try and help.
Before I started learning more about this problem I associated it more with substance abuse and mental health problems, not families going through hard times. I think it's easier for is to focus on the former because we think, well that's their fault, rather than seeing that there for the grace of God go I.
(snip)
The report found homelessness increased significantly among unsheltered populations and people that are experiencing chronic homelessness. Veteran homelessness did not decrease from 2019 to 2020, and family homelessness did not decrease for the first time since 2010. People of color are also significantly over-represented among the homeless population."

That data is all informative, but I don’t see any data addressing WHY they are homeless.
Date: July 18, 2021 01:00PM
Lemon Drop
vision63
Lemon Drop
vision63
Lemon Drop
vision63
sekker

No question.

[stateofreform.com]

"According to a report released by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), California saw a 6.8% increase in homelessness between 2019 and 2020, and a 16.2% increase between 2007 and 2020. This increase from 2019-2020 is the largest increase in a state in that time frame.

The 2020 Annual Homeless Assessment Report found that California accounted for more than half of all unsheltered people in the country. This is nearly nine times the number of unsheltered people in the state with the next highest number.

Forty-one per 10,000 people were homeless in California, and 70% of the homeless people in the state were without shelter.

In Los Angeles City and County there were 63,706 people experiencing homelessness, 72% of whom had no shelter at all. 

California also experienced a large increase in the percentage of homeless people in families during 2019-2020, an increase of about 14.6% or 3,276 people. This is 15% of the people in families experiencing homelessness in the nation.

Youth homelessness is also a major issue in California. The state reported the largest numbers of homeless unaccompanied youth in the nation, 12,172 people, accounting for nearly a third of all unaccompanied youth nationally.

Three major cities in California had percentages of unaccompanied youth staying in unsheltered

locations exceeding 75%: San Jose (96%), San Francisco (80%) and Oakland (77%). Four suburban areas had rates of unaccompanied youth without shelter of 95% or higher: Marin County (97%), San Luis Obispo (97%), Santa Cruz (97%) and Imperial County (95%).

California’s 11,401 veterans accounted for 31% of all veterans experiencing homelessness in the United States, which is more than half of all unsheltered veterans.

Homelessness grew by 2% nationwide from 2019 to 2020. This marks the fourth consecutive year that total homelessness has increased in the United States. 

Since you mention Los Angeles County where I was born and raised. According to that info, over 63,000 citizens out of 10 million are experiencing homelessness. Every single one of them is being reached out to every day. We bring them food, we offer them an alternative to living in a tent or a motor home. We try to get them vaccinated. We conduct needle exchanges and health clinics.

What you're saying is correct. The solutions we attempt by and large fail.

These reports and their suggested "solutions" are heavily influenced by the real estate development community. The solution is always "more housing." But they're not really interested in building affordable housing. They're more interested in opening up the landscapes so that they can increase density and therefore more profit. People don't even understand what "affordable" housing is. Whatever that means, it's not affordable.

Reject all of this and just use your good senses. You can easily see what the real deal is.

Also and homeless "veteran" has to merely call the Emergency Veterans Hotline and within 24 hours be shuttled into a full care experience. Thanks Obama. I've helped guys take advantage of this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2021 01:03PM by vision63.
Date: July 18, 2021 05:00PM
DeusxMac
Lemon Drop
Before I started learning more about this problem I associated it more with substance abuse and mental health problems, not families going through hard times. I think it's easier for is to focus on the former because we think, well that's their fault, rather than seeing that there for

That data is all informative, but I don’t see any data addressing WHY they are homeless.

There are a number of good sources on this topic, here are a few:
[endhomelessness.org]

[lifebridgenorthshore.org]

[nationalhomeless.org]

[www.seattle.gov]
Date: July 18, 2021 07:25PM
Lemon Drop

[endhomelessness.org]

Well here the first two of the five (Housing and Income) are the same: not enough money to afford available housing. "Housing is unaffordable, because I can't afford it, because it's unaffordable..."

The next two are legitimately related:
- Health: which includes physical disability, chronic illness, mental illness, substance abuse1
- Domestic violence

The last one, racial inequality; I don't believe that is a lack of housing issue per se. It's an equality of education and opportunities issue.
The other links reiterate the same points as the first link.

My issue is that access to inexpensive housing does not address the root causes of most homelessness.
It doesn't eliminate physical disability. It doesn't cure chronic illness. It doesn't restore mental health. It doesn't treat substance abuse. It doesn't stop domestic violence. And historically "affordable housing" has done nothing to alleviate racial inequality.

1. All supporting vision63's points "...substance abuse and overdose disproportionately impact homeless people."
Date: July 18, 2021 08:18PM
Lemon Drop
DeusxMac
Lemon Drop
Before I started learning more about this problem I associated it more with substance abuse and mental health problems, not families going through hard times. I think it's easier for is to focus on the former because we think, well that's their fault, rather than seeing that there for

[endhomelessness.org]

[lifebridgenorthshore.org]

[nationalhomeless.org]

[www.seattle.gov]

There are a lot of sources.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2021 08:19PM by vision63.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: July 18, 2021 09:10PM
CA needs to outlaw single-family residential zoning...ditto for other urban areas.
Date: July 18, 2021 09:37PM
Bill in NC
CA needs to outlaw single-family residential zoning...ditto for other urban areas.

Well of course that being tried. It's a huge issue. BUT, it failed and it's "never" going to happen. No municipality is going to allow the state to control how it zones it's land.

This was the latest bill that flopped. People see it as a handout to developers. Developers are "not" interested in resolving our housing crisis. Also failing was an attempt to alter the infamous CA Prop 13. The recent Prop 15 was designed to ease the limits on property taxes on "commercial" properties. Not for private property. They thought this would work. But it got beat. This is in the bluest state in America.

High-profile housing bill fails to pass California Senate
[apnews.com]

These are two things that are never going to happen. If housing is a crisis, then it's really a waste of time and energy for politicians in the state to continue to consider it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 394
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020