advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Brother getting shot within a week. Pfizer vs Moderna?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: July 17, 2021 11:31AM
The mantra used to be "just get one." I assume the science now might be able to rank one over the other, especially related to Delta. This will be at Walmart. I heard somewhere they had both types. If they don't, he will just get what they have.

I'm glad he finally decided to get one. His RN daughter talked him into it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2021 11:32AM by Dennis S.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Brother getting shot within a week. Pfizer vs Moderna?
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: July 17, 2021 11:39AM
Great news!!
Posted by: PeterB
Date: July 17, 2021 12:10PM
Ditto the great news.

As for which vaccine to get, the currently available data suggests that Pfizer might be best against Delta, BUT... as I've pointed out before... the vaccines may differ not just in how they work against particular strains, and whether or not they prevent you from getting infected, but also the course of disease if you DO get infected.

That latter issue is important, because (for example) there is some data to suggest that even though the J&J might not be as effective in terms of preventing someone from getting infected, it might do slightly better than the others in terms of clinical course and likelihood of death if someone does catch the virus. And then there's also the issues of vaccine side-effects, the duration/durability of protection, and the possibility of long-term post-infection sequelae, if someone does get a breakthrough case.

Honestly, I would say he should get whatever is available. If a choice between Pfizer and Moderna, I would suggest Pfizer, but unsurprisingly, they seem to be pretty comparable in terms of effectiveness-- this makes sense, given that they're using essentially the same vaccine technology.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 17, 2021 12:14PM
Awesome. Any vaccine is a huge step forward.

I'm with PeterB that if I had the opportunity to choose, I'd probably pick Pfizer. They seem to be on the fast-track for full approval and making the booster shot better targeted against the delta variant.
Posted by: p8712
Date: July 17, 2021 12:30PM
Pfizer. For what it’s worth no one I know that’s taken it has had side effects...

Aside from injection site pain, of course.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: July 17, 2021 01:40PM

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2021 01:42PM by graylocks.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 17, 2021 02:15PM
....but what about.....Beta.....and Omega......to come.....????

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 17, 2021 02:19PM
What the hell took him so long?

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: July 17, 2021 02:22PM
Speedy
What the hell took him so long?

He dithers. He's a ditherer.
Date: July 17, 2021 02:41PM
p8712
Pfizer. For what it’s worth no one I know that’s taken it has had side effects...

My wife and I had almost the exact same (but quite tolerable) side-effects after the second shot. About a day after the second, I started feeling achy and felt like I had a cold. Was tolerable using tylenol, felt better by about 48 hours later.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 17, 2021 02:41PM
Novavax! It would seem you be the best of all "big" vaccines but you won't be able to get it until this fall. (Seriously, I wish they would hurry up on this approval so they can make the damn liquid.)
Date: July 17, 2021 02:42PM
mrbigstuff
Novavax! It would seem you be the best of all "big" vaccines but you won't be able to get it until this fall. (Seriously, I wish they would hurry up on this approval so they can make the damn liquid.)

I would not mention this. Right now, getting ANY vaccine is far more important than waiting for some mythical next gen vaccine.
Date: July 17, 2021 02:43PM
sekker
mrbigstuff

I would not mention this. Right now, getting ANY vaccine is far more important than waiting for some mythical next gen vaccine.

Mythical? Is that a joke?
Date: July 17, 2021 02:58PM
mrbigstuff
sekker
mrbigstuff

Even mentioning a future option is a mistake when someone has finally made the decision to do something important. Right now, the Novavax 'vaccine' is mythical - it's not a reality. Once it IS vetted and approved for emergency use, it moves out of such a category.
Posted by: p8712
Date: July 17, 2021 03:04PM
sekker
p8712

My wife and I had almost the exact same (but quite tolerable) side-effects after the second shot. About a day after the second, I started feeling achy and felt like I had a cold. Was tolerable using tylenol, felt better by about 48 hours later.

Interesting. That still sounds fairly tolerable. The Pfizer seems to be the best as far as coverage and Variant protection. That being said taking any vaccine is better than no vaccine.
Date: July 17, 2021 03:05PM
sekker
mrbigstuff
sekker
mrbigstuff

Even mentioning a future option is a mistake when someone has finally made the decision to do something important. Right now, the Novavax 'vaccine' is mythical - it's not a reality. Once it IS vetted and approved for emergency use, it moves out of such a category.

You have a very different definition of something "mythical" that has already completed (and possibly better at combating new variants) clinical trials and may be months away from approval.

Just to be clear: I'm not saying don't get anything! But if I had to do this: get the Pfizer first jab and then the Nova.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2021 03:40PM by mrbigstuff.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: July 17, 2021 04:15PM
Anyone who has waited this long to vaccinate will more likely than not latch onto futures as a way to further procrastinate. That might be a reason to not amplify futures.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: July 17, 2021 04:51PM
RgrF
Anyone who has waited this long to vaccinate will more likely than not latch onto futures as a way to further procrastinate. That might be a reason to not amplify futures.

agree smiley "A bird in the hand" so to speak.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: July 17, 2021 04:58PM
FWIW, I found the side-effects of the Pfizer to be really minimal ... maybe some slight fatigue, maybe a headache, but that was it. The J&J was a MUCH more painful shot. YMMV of course.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 17, 2021 06:11PM
From my family’s perspective the Pfizer has worse side effects than the Moderna. But that’s probably because my immune system is kind of hyperactive and really overreacts to immunizations.
Date: July 17, 2021 06:35PM
cbelt3
From my family’s perspective the Pfizer has worse side effects than the Moderna. But that’s probably because my immune system is kind of hyperactive and really overreacts to immunizations.

That's irrelevant when you consider the side effects of not vaccinating.
Posted by: rgG
Date: July 17, 2021 09:22PM
Just get whatever they have.
They are so close.
The Pfizer is a three week spread between shots, so he would be fully vaccinate a week earlier.
Other than that, just get the shots.

We had Moderna, good friend had Pfizer.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2021 09:23PM by rgG.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 17, 2021 09:34PM
IMO this whole debate is silly. Get a shot in his arm. one and done would be best.

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: July 18, 2021 12:00AM
rgG
They are so close.

This. Statistically, there is no difference between the performance of the two versions.

It is what it is.
Date: July 18, 2021 12:37AM
N-OS X-tasy!
rgG
They are so close.

This. Statistically, there is no difference between the performance of the two versions.

Seems not everyone would agree:

Sherri Tenpenny says you can’t unvaccinate, and with the current vaccines it’s double true. She says there is no physical solution for this and that vaccinated people are in the transhumanism movement. She then says that this fall, people will get ill and die.
Date: July 18, 2021 02:44AM
RgrF
N-OS X-tasy!
rgG
They are so close.

Sherri Tenpenny says you can’t unvaccinate, and with the current vaccines it’s double true. She says there is no physical solution for this and that vaccinated people are in the transhumanism movement. She then says that this fall, people will get ill and die.

Technically, she's right on two points: You can't unvaccinate and people will fall ill and die this fall.

I'm trying to wrap my mind around why you even posted this, though.

It is what it is.
Date: July 18, 2021 02:53AM
N-OS X-tasy!
RgrF
N-OS X-tasy!
rgG
They are so close.

Technically, she's right on two points: You can't unvaccinate and people will fall ill and die this fall.

She's a nut with an MD behind her name, one of the leading causes of disinformation and resultant deaths is credentialed propagandists.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: July 18, 2021 07:39AM
RgrF
N-OS X-tasy!
RgrF
N-OS X-tasy!
rgG
They are so close.

She's a nut with an MD behind her name, one of the leading causes of disinformation and resultant deaths is credentialed propagandists.

THIS! Tenpenny is absolutely an unethical, and deadly quack!

"Tenpenny promoted the false claim that COVID-19 vaccines cause people to become magnetized such that metal objects stick to their bodies, adding 'There’s been people who have long suspected that there’s been some sort of an interface, yet-to-be-defined interface, between what’s being injected in these shots and all of the 5G towers.'"

"Since 2017, Tenpenny and her business partner, Matthew Hunt, have taught a six-week, $623 course titled "Mastering Vaccine Info Boot Camp" designed to "sow seeds of doubt" regarding public health information.

Tenpenny promotes anti-vaccination videos sold by Ty and Charlene Bollinger and receives a commission whenever her referrals result in a sale, a practice known as affiliate marketing."
Date: July 18, 2021 01:17PM
RgrF
N-OS X-tasy!
RgrF
N-OS X-tasy!
rgG
They are so close.

Ah, I missed the M.D.

EDIT: I guess that's something you'd need to already know about her - I don't see it referenced anywhere in that post.

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2021 01:19PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Posted by: GGD
Date: July 18, 2021 05:04PM
One advantage of Pfizer over Moderna is the time between doses, Pfizer is 3 weeks, Moderna is 4 weeks so you're protected one week earlier with Pfizer. J&J beats both of them because no second dose.
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 18, 2021 05:55PM
GGD
One advantage of Pfizer over Moderna is the time between doses, Pfizer is 3 weeks, Moderna is 4 weeks so you're protected one week earlier with Pfizer. J&J beats both of them because no second dose.

but with a Single Shot of Pfizer or Moderna, you are also protected about the same as J&J's single shot from what I understand. It's the second shot that takes that from 70% to 95% (or, not exactly sure about the 70% number, give or take a few percentage points, I think 70% is in the right ball park).
Posted by: AllGold
Date: July 18, 2021 06:44PM
space-time
GGD

but with a Single Shot of Pfizer or Moderna, you are also protected about the same as J&J's single shot from what I understand. It's the second shot that takes that from 70% to 95% (or, not exactly sure about the 70% number, give or take a few percentage points, I think 70% is in the right ball park).

I'm not sure that is accurate. I would like a citation.

Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: July 18, 2021 09:17PM
Around here, you can choose which you want, easy to make an appointment.

FWIW, I had Moderna, and had significant 1 day side-effects from the second shot. Over by the 3rd day.
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 18, 2021 09:31PM
AllGold
space-time
GGD

I'm not sure that is accurate. I would like a citation.

You may be wright, I looked it up again and now it seems that one shot is not that efficient as it was previously thought. Maybe this explains the Delta surge in the UK, IIRC they were praised that they used only one shot to cover 2x as many people, and their cases dropped fast. But look at the surge there now.

maybe sticking to the 2 shot protocol here in US was the right decision.

The thing is these things are changing fast and what is thought to be true today may be outdated in a few weeks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 396
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020