advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
All about the grift - MAGA-branded “Freedom Phone” is actually rebranded cheap Taiwanese phone
Posted by: pdq
Date: July 17, 2021 04:57PM
…at only 4x the price.

The pro-Trump internet went wild on Wednesday for the Freedom Phone, a $500 smartphone that comes stocked with conservative apps and promises to liberate anyone else who buys it from Silicon Valley censorship. The American flag-branded phone was immediately promoted by a wide range of right-wing figures, including former Trump adviser Roger Stone, Jan. 6 rally organizer Ali Alexander, and pundit Dinesh D’Souza.

… Despite being lauded by some of the right-wing media’s leading figures, though…the Freedom Phone appears to be merely a more expensive rebranding of a budget Chinese phone available elsewhere for a fraction of the Freedom Phone’s price.

While the seller’s website gives no details or specs it appears to be powered by a low-end Mediatek processor, which per Gizmodo

…have shipped with a wide number of insecure configurations and are prone to trivial vulnerabilities that allows anyone with physical possession of such a device to read/write the data on the phone through its early bootloader…which is why such hardware is popular in countries like North Korea as often the security enabled by a user can simply be circumvented by a state operative…

But it’s powered by Librul tears, so Freedum!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: All about the grift - MAGA-branded “Freedom Phone” is actually rebranded cheap Taiwanese phone
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 17, 2021 07:28PM
Thanks, but no thanks, I’ll keep my Obama phone.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Re: All about the grift - MAGA-branded “Freedom Phone” is actually rebranded cheap Taiwanese phone
Posted by: deckeda
Date: July 17, 2021 07:58PM
Sounds about right.
Posted by: bfd
Date: July 17, 2021 10:02PM
No one ever said these MAGAsses had any brains …
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: July 17, 2021 11:59PM
You gotta wonder how much personal info is being harvested by the apps on that phone...

It is what it is.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 18, 2021 12:44PM
You gotta wonder how much personal info is being harvested by the apps on that phone...

Indeed.

The sole purpose being to raise money on many levels.

But it's also a possible opportunity to provide a lot of data to enemies both foreign and domestic.

Maybe a 'Spy' vs 'Spy' vs Spy.

I'd be both interested and probably alarmed to see the sale figures on that phone.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 110
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020