advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
It’s time to stop blaming JUST social media…
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: July 18, 2021 10:22AM
…and call out people for flat out ignoring simple facts and logic just because it’s not what they want to believe.

To stop giving them even the slightest padding or allowance for believing outright fantasy like Q anon and ‘pizza gate’ and microchips in vaccine and trying to insist public policy be influenced, even based on, this utter madness.

Public officials need to be consistently and unequivocally labeled as unfit for office for uttering so much as a syllable of this drek by EVERYONE.

Respectful disagreement and ‘deradicalizing’ and slow walking people back to sanity haven’t worked. Yes, point people to the facts, but zero tolerance for nonsense seems like the correct next step to me.

National Suicide Prevention Hotline tel:1-800-273-8255

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: It’s time to stop blaming JUST social media…
Posted by: deckeda
Date: July 18, 2021 11:06AM
-- FM Marketplace to buy and sell until the next innovation surpasses it.
-- YouTube for entertainment/hobbies and (lately) car repair. (I don't actually consider that social media.)
-- MRF for some semblance of sanity.

I don't need much else "social" expect actual people. Some things such as Twitter have never had any participatory value to me, with or without politics. I was interested in IG a year ago for one my hobbies but overall that's about the emptiest of them all.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 18, 2021 11:56AM
I don't do social media.

I do, on occasion, frequent a forum or two.

I have spoken my mind, on some of those occasions.

Clicking the occasional Twitter link to glean some information has been my only investment in it, I don't have an account.

I do have a friend who apparently has gone full 45* at some point, well, short of wearing a MAGA hat.

I think he may hate Dems more than he likes 45*, but it's hard to tell.

In our small social gathering, he was always the one to espouse political views with a few of the group following along.

I chose to ignore, not having the benefit of vis' School of Politics and the Political Animal.

He also graciously included me in a huge email list of people who traded gifs and stupid cartoons and graphics attacking Pelosi and Biden, all forwarded emails, with one line of support, but no actual content.

Also ignored.

But the situation became much worse with Biden's election, so I started responding to his off the cuff remarks, first asking, then demanding the source of his information, stipulating '...other than Fox News'.

I started responding to his group emails, regardless of who sent them.

There was never any response from anyone other than him, in which he played off my response.

He no longer sends me his political group emails, just the group stuff that your dad might send on his first couple of years online.

We've reached an unspoken détente of — he doesn't bring up politics and I don't respond.

His daughter, whom I've know since birth, was visiting from out of state with her husband.

Both are also Repubs, so when all of us went out to dinner, I asked her on the sly about politics and said I would respond if he said anything pro 45*.

She implored me not to mention anything, ie don't start a war.

Telling her I'm anti-45* and pro Biden, she hugged me, LOL.

So that's how it is.

I constantly try to separate MRF diatribe from fact so I have something to say if and when someone mentions Repubs or 45* in a positive light.

But that has to be info that I can substantiate beyond 'He/She' said.

He can never go more than one layer deep, when he says 'What about...'

Where did you hear that — 'So and so said on Fox...'

Ok, who told them, where did they get that?!

<crickets>

And that's how it goes in my 'hood.

No walking in the park.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: July 18, 2021 12:54PM
I completely concur with OP. 100% accountability for all public officials would be a terrific way to start change.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: July 18, 2021 01:22PM
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: July 18, 2021 02:27PM
Sarcany
These 12 Sources Are Apparently Responsible for 65% of Vaccine Disinformation on Social Media

For reference:
- Joseph Mercola2
- Robert F. Kennedy Jr.
- Ty and Charlene Bollinger
- Sherri Tenpenny2
- Rizza Islam1
- Rashid Buttar2
- Erin Elizabeth3
- Sayer Ji
- Kelly Brogan (wife of Sayer Ji)
- Christiane Northrup
- Ben Tapper 4
- Kevin Jenkins "The purpose of this redirect is currently being discussed by the Wikipedia community. The outcome of the discussion may result in a change of this page, or possibly its deletion in accordance with Wikipedia's deletion policy."

1. No Wikipedia page for this person. Is a Nation of Islam (NOI) member who "describes himself as an 'activist, speaker, humanitarian,' and 'Black intellectual xtremist'" who "intersperses his posts with inflammatory content that regularly includes antisemitic, anti-LGBTQ and anti-vaccine rhetoric, in addition to a range of other conspiracy theories."

2. Osteopath

3. No Wikipedia page for this person. Self proclaimed "health nut". Alleged to be the girlfriend of list member Joseph Mercola.

4. No Wikipedia page for this person. Chiropractor.
Posted by: August West
Date: July 18, 2021 03:28PM
While only named in the modern era, confirmation bias and cognitive dissonance are a helluva drug. Combine them with Internet time, heh.

Apologies to the anonymous forum member affected by my previous sig pic. It was my personal pic of a country expressing great grief as their leader, one of the most recognized people in the world, lay on his deathbed 8 years ago, days before he died. Like a naif, I did not realize it was offensively political, I considered it an expression of deep emotion and a reminder of the mortal coil's nature; that we all, great and small, can only hope to make a difference in our short time here, no matter the personal cost.

I'll post another pic from my work in South Africa that is, hopefully, apolitical.

Date: July 18, 2021 03:43PM
DeusxMac
2. Osteopath

4. No Wikipedia page for this person. Chiropractor.

Both practices based on mysticism with large/affluent trade organizations that have managed to make people think they are scientific/medical practices, to the point where major educational institutions even have schools for these "magical thinking" professions just to cash in on it and medicare pays for some "treatments."

They know how to sell bullsh!t and get rich off of it.

Posted by: August West
Date: July 18, 2021 08:23PM
Center for Countering Digital Hate?

Apologies to the anonymous forum member affected by my previous sig pic. It was my personal pic of a country expressing great grief as their leader, one of the most recognized people in the world, lay on his deathbed 8 years ago, days before he died. Like a naif, I did not realize it was offensively political, I considered it an expression of deep emotion and a reminder of the mortal coil's nature; that we all, great and small, can only hope to make a difference in our short time here, no matter the personal cost.

I'll post another pic from my work in South Africa that is, hopefully, apolitical.

Posted by: Steve G.
Date: July 18, 2021 08:26PM
sure thing. The Church killed people for centuries without twitter.
Date: July 18, 2021 09:38PM
August West
Center for Countering Digital Hate?

There's a Wikipedia article for that.
[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: sekker
Date: July 19, 2021 08:02AM
Robert Kennedy Jr has killed thousands from his views alone.

The rest I do not know.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: July 19, 2021 01:55PM
The obscene hypocrisy of GOP leaders does need to be called out. Especially the governors of the states with the lowest vaccination rates. They, not the quacks, are the ones with the actual power to do something transformative. They could encourage people to get shots.

Instead they fire public health directors, block data, defend the indefensible and yell "you can't make me" like toddlers, while knowing that their own families, and of course themselves, are all safely vaccinated.

Rank hypocrisy, maybe unprecedented in US history.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 125
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020