advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Democrats introduced bill to rename more than 1,000 forests, lakes and mountain peaks named with racist slurs or offensive language
Posted by: p8712
Date: July 19, 2021 09:40AM
Good

The bill would target land units and geographic features, such as forests, streams and wilderness areas, with racist or sectarian names. This would create a process to review and rename places with harmless names. According to the statement of lawmakers, questionable names have been identified for 1,441 places recognized by the federal government.

More than 600 places have the word “n —-“, an insult to blacks, in their name, according to a US Geological Survey database. In Oklahoma, there is Dead N —- Spring, so named because a deceased black person was found there, according to the USGS.

In New Mexico there is a tank called the W —— Tank, named with an insult to Mexicans living in the United States. Nearly 800 results are returned by the USGS database when searching for the term “—-“, an offensive word for Native American women
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Democrats introduced bill to rename more than 1,000 forests, lakes and mountain peaks named with racist slurs or offensive language
Posted by: deckeda
Date: July 19, 2021 11:31AM
They seemed to have copied it verbatim from the source: [www.businessinsider.com]
Re: Democrats introduced bill to rename more than 1,000 forests, lakes and mountain peaks named with racist slurs or offensive language
Posted by: p8712
Date: July 19, 2021 12:07PM
deckeda
They seemed to have copied it verbatim from the source: [www.businessinsider.com]

I think original source is paywalled.
Posted by: GGD
Date: July 19, 2021 01:19PM

Nearly 800 results are returned by the USGS database when searching for the term “—-“, an offensive word for Native American women

Are they planning to rename the site of the 1960 Winter Olympics?
Posted by: hal
Date: July 19, 2021 01:27PM
GGD

Nearly 800 results are returned by the USGS database when searching for the term “—-“, an offensive word for Native American women

yes [www.squawalpine.com]
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: July 19, 2021 01:36PM
hal
GGD

Looks like the ski resort has agreed to do it, but not the actual town?
Posted by: RgrF
Date: July 19, 2021 01:45PM
I dunnknow.

This is a shot across the bow to culture wars which are hometown for the far, middle and plain old right wing outrage machine. Culture wars they see as their ticket back to power.
Posted by: vision63
Date: July 19, 2021 01:49PM
RgrF
I dunnknow.

This is a shot across the bow to culture wars which are hometown for the far, middle and plain old right wing outrage machine. Culture wars they see as their ticket back to power.

This is correct. We'll see come Nov '22.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 19, 2021 03:30PM
As long as they don’t mess with the Grand Tetons.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: davester
Date: July 20, 2021 10:51AM
Lemon Drop
hal
GGD

What town? The town closest to Squaw Valley is called Tahoe City. The only "town" at Squaw Valley itself is a smattering of condos and restaurants.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2021 10:51AM by davester.
Date: July 20, 2021 10:57AM
davester
Lemon Drop
hal
GGD

What town? The town closest to Squaw Valley is called Tahoe City. The only "town" at Squaw Valley itself is a smattering of condos and restaurants.

[en.m.wikipedia.org]
Date: July 20, 2021 11:43AM
Lemon Drop
davester
Lemon Drop
hal
GGD

[en.m.wikipedia.org]

I highly doubt the town would change it. I already thought the ski resort changed it. I guess not yet.

An excuse to show off my photo:

Date: July 20, 2021 12:10PM
Great photo!
Date: July 20, 2021 12:32PM
Lemon Drop
davester
Lemon Drop
hal
GGD

[en.m.wikipedia.org]

That town is in a completely different part of California from Squaw Valley ski resort. They are totally unrelated to one another.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: July 20, 2021 01:20PM
davester
Lemon Drop
davester
Lemon Drop
hal
GGD

[en.m.wikipedia.org]

That town is in a completely different part of California from Squaw Valley ski resort. They are totally unrelated to one another.

They are both called Squaw Valley. Both are engaged in the debate over changing place names that are racially offensive. The thread topic.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: July 20, 2021 01:57PM
There are a number of area businesses as well as roads that have "squaw" in their names.

Resort at Squaw Creek
Squaw Valley Lodge
The Village at Squaw Creek
Squaw Valley Herb Gardens
Squaw Valley Chapel
Squaw Valley Florist and Gifts
Squaw Valley Trading Center
Squaw Valley Realty
Squaw Valley Motel
Etc.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2021 04:56PM by DeusxMac.
Date: July 20, 2021 03:45PM
Lemon Drop
Great photo!

Yay!!! Camera
Date: July 20, 2021 05:35PM
Lemon Drop
davester
Lemon Drop
davester
Lemon Drop
hal
GGD

[en.m.wikipedia.org]

They are both called Squaw Valley. Both are engaged in the debate over changing place names that are racially offensive. The thread topic.

The clear implication from your post was that the resort was located in the town and that this was some kind of hypocrisy. I simply clarified that this was not the case.

Posted by: testcase
Date: July 20, 2021 06:21PM
Those schmucks are probably thinking that said course of action will keep the electorate from realizing that Democrats have NO INTENTION of doing ANYTHING that would actually be worthwhile (like reducing the deficit etc, etc, etc.) sad smiley
Date: July 20, 2021 06:35PM
davester
Lemon Drop
davester
Lemon Drop
davester
Lemon Drop
hal
GGD

[en.m.wikipedia.org]

The clear implication from your post was that the resort was located in the town and that this was some kind of hypocrisy. I simply clarified that this was not the case.

I'm sorry that what I wrote was confusing to you and somehow communicated something that I didn't say or intend.

Let me try a rewrite.
The privately owned ski resort in California called Squaw Valley has announced that it will change its name, in recognition that the current name is offensive to some.
The California town of the same name has also been asked to change its name, but so far has not made a decision to do that.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: July 20, 2021 07:26PM
Lemon Drop
davester
Lemon Drop
davester
Lemon Drop
davester
Lemon Drop
hal
GGD

[en.m.wikipedia.org]

I'm sorry that what I wrote was confusing to you and somehow communicated something that I didn't say or intend.

Let me try a rewrite.
The privately owned ski resort in California called Squaw Valley has announced that it will change its name, in recognition that the current name is offensive to some.
The California town of the same name has also been asked to change its name, but so far has not made a decision to do that.

To be fair, your rewrite is much more clear.

It is what it is.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: July 20, 2021 08:39PM
testcase
Those schmucks are probably thinking that said course of action will keep the electorate from realizing that Democrats have NO INTENTION of doing ANYTHING that would actually be worthwhile (like reducing the deficit etc, etc, etc.) sad smiley

You mean like your GOP did when they had control?
Posted by: kj
Date: July 22, 2021 02:46PM
RgrF
testcase

You mean like your GOP did when they had control?

Yeah, a lot of what Trump etc. did was super destructive, so jacking around with changing insect names, etc. is probably a big step up, even if it doesn't change lives.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 84
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020