advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
FLORIDA MAN gets 8 months
Posted by: RgrF
Date: July 19, 2021 11:22AM
A Florida man became the first felon sentenced Monday for his role in the Jan. 6 insurrection at the U.S. Capitol, receiving eight months in prison and being ordered to pay $2,000 in restitution for a portion of the damage to the building.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: FLORIDA MAN gets 8 months
Posted by: deckeda
Date: July 19, 2021 11:43AM
Genuine remorse has value. Still kinda think he got let off too easy however.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: July 19, 2021 11:46AM
This was supposed to be a precident. I don't think it's a good one.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: July 19, 2021 12:02PM
This is like hamburger and a hug for Benedict Arnold?
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 19, 2021 12:06PM
He pleaded guilty and his sentence was reduced.

This is not the test case - we need to see what the sentencing guidelines will be for those that are unrepentant.
Date: July 19, 2021 12:09PM
He's not repentant. He just said he was because his lawyer said it would be a good idea.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: July 19, 2021 12:55PM
RgrF
A Florida man became the first felon sentenced Monday for his role in the Jan. 6 insurrection at the U.S. Capitol, receiving eight months in prison and being ordered to pay $2,000 in restitution for a portion of the damage to the building.

Somewhat OT, but this jail-time to fine-imposed ratio across many conviction categories has always bothered me. The fines always seem to be a pittance relatively speaking.

In this case, the $2,000 fine compared to the 8 months in prison seems disproportionately small. Ignoring for the moment the particular offense in this case, I believe most people would consider serving 8 months in prison a true hardship, but covering a $2,000 fine merely an unpleasant annoyance.

This disproportionality is especially noticeable in white-collar crime convictions.
Date: July 19, 2021 01:30PM
DeusxMac
In this case, the $2,000 fine compared to the 8 months in prison seems disproportionately small. Ignoring for the moment the particular offense in this case, I believe most people would consider serving 8 months in prison a true hardship, but covering a $2,000 fine merely an unpleasant annoyance.

This disproportionality is especially noticeable in white-collar crime convictions.

FTFY

In an unrelated case former Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Mills was referred to DoJ for prosecution because of lying to Congress - Merrick Garland's DoJ declined to prosecute. No explanation forthcoming.
Date: July 19, 2021 01:43PM
RgrF
DeusxMac

FTFY

In an unrelated case former Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Mills was referred to DoJ for prosecution because of lying to Congress - Merrick Garland's DoJ declined to prosecute. No explanation forthcoming.

Wilbur Mills? Is he still with Fannie Fox?
Date: July 19, 2021 01:53PM
Dennis S
RgrF
DeusxMac

FTFY

Wilbur Mills? Is he still with Fannie Fox?

Hah my mistake - Mills - Ross, aside from currently breathing, whats the difference?
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 19, 2021 01:54PM
This was supposed to be a precident. I don't think it's a good one.

“Although Mr. Hodgkins was only one member of a larger mob, he actively and intentionally participated in an event that threatened not only the security of the Capitol but democracy itself,” Moss said. "That is chilling, for many reasons."

Precedent or not, it was too light.

A bigger fine and at least one year not counting time served.

He could have got almost two years.

With a felony conviction, one usually loses their right to vote.

FL can restore the right to vote barring some convictions.

As he was convicted in Federal court, I wonder how this affects his voting.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: July 19, 2021 02:12PM
About 1/50th of what both the fine and jail time should've been.
==
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 19, 2021 03:20PM
At least he got some hard time. I’m sure a lot of judges out there would have suspended any sentence as long as he doesn’t do it again.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Randalls
Date: July 19, 2021 04:02PM
Are right wingers collecting money and organizing legal aid to make the defense of this group as flawless as possible?
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 19, 2021 06:23PM
What would it cost the Feds to keep him in jail for 8 months? What would he lose by not working a decent job for 8 months? Have the IRS provide their tax forms and make it half their wage, and give half of that to the DC police officers.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 396
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020