advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
With the latest Covid developments, I'm stumped. Any opinions?
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: July 20, 2021 02:32PM
Delta breakthroughs, vaxed Pelosi and White House aides testing positive, growing spikes for non-vax, 10million dead in India(?), continuing US/Worldwide political resistance, huge South East Asia numbers, UK France upsurge,Eid spikes coming(?)...I just don't know what to think any more.

Do you have any opinions as to what is to come? (I don't think it looks good)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: With the latest Covid developments, I'm stumped. Any opinions?
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 20, 2021 02:49PM
First, the data from Pelosi and others are that being vaccinated provides huge protection.

Second, the data shows that variants like the delta or whatever is next continues to up the ante on the pandemic poker game that those are playing that are NOT vaccinated.

I'm not sure how we get to the point where both major political parties get to actively supporting vaccination, but that's where we need to get to in the US.

Other countries? I honestly have no idea. Those that can make $$ or power out of anti-vaccination campaigns will do so.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 20, 2021 03:00PM
>I'm stumped.

You're not stumped.

We're in the middle of a pandemic poised for a resurgence - and lets be clear, no politician anywhere is prepared to add preventative measures at this point - its basically inevitable at this point. The only question is what shape will it take? How bad will it be? How many will be hospitalized? Will fewer people die?

and we're just cruising into it pretending like nothing is happening. Those who are interested in taking precautions already have while those who aren't will continue to deny reality.

Posted by: RgrF
Date: July 20, 2021 03:40PM
There must be a tipping point where unvaxxed people realize they are playing a form of Russian Roulette. Hospitals in places like rural Missouri and Arkansas are already overrun and it's only going to get worse.

For the first time since last December, St John's Hospital in Santa Monica ran out of ICU beds yesterday so it's not just rural areas that are surging.

What is the critical mass point that sends the remaining scrambling to get vaxxed?
Posted by: hal
Date: July 20, 2021 03:57PM
Steve Scalise PUBLICLY got his shot today....

Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: July 20, 2021 04:04PM
Good job Steve Scalise. Now apologize for everything and volunteer at a vaccine clinic every Saturday until this is over.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: July 20, 2021 04:52PM
I do think we're in for a long Fall and Winter.

Anyone who's not vaccinated at this point, needs to get it pronto. Fear is a good motivator. As I've said many times already though, the longer this goes on, the more likely it is that we end up with a variant that is a REAL problem. Delta is only one variant, there are others and the possibility of developing subsequent mutations. And folks also forget that we've still got the upcoming flu season and that there are other viruses floating around out there that might eventually make their way here. (More here: [www.cnn.com])

Other than making vaccinations mandatory, I'm not sure there's a whole lot we can do at this point.

hal

How ironic, the birds in the background. One can imagine them leaving their droppings on the hypocrite: [www.speaker.gov]

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: July 20, 2021 04:57PM
My great aunt came over this afternoon and said everyone needs to get vaccinated because of those deviants!
Posted by: testcase
Date: July 20, 2021 05:20PM
Cue the locusts and frog rain...........

On a more serious note; I've been "isolating in place" in an RV park in Northeast TN since early March, 2020. The VERY few times I have to go out to resupply, I wear a mask, wash my hands more frequently and use hand sanitizer. Up until a very few weeks ago, supermarket staff always wore masks. Sadly, that's NO LONGER the case (and VERY few shoppers bother to wear a mask). SO many people have simply gone back to behaviors they operated by before the COVID Pandemic was recognized. I heard this morning on NBC news that the U.S. is now entering Phase 4 of the pandemic (I believe the 1918 Influenza only had three phases before it died out). As long as people CHOOSE to be lazy and stupid, COVID will keep returning and mutating (which may well eventually render current COVID vaccines ineffective). As always, DEATH cures stupid. facepalm old fogey smiley
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: July 20, 2021 05:40PM
RgrF
What is the critical mass point that sends the remaining scrambling to get vaxxed?

The preferred process:

Step 1: Make vaccinations mandatory.

If public officials don't have the balls to mandate vaccinations, the process becomes:

Step 1: Watch people die.
Step 2: Continue to "hope" people choose to do the right thing.
Step 3: Watch people die.
Step 4: Continue to "hope" people choose to do the right thing.
Step 5: Watch people die.
Step 6: Continue to "hope" people choose to do the right thing.
Step 7: Watch people die.
Step...

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2021 05:40PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Date: July 20, 2021 05:56PM
N-OS X-tasy!
RgrF

The preferred process:

If public officials don't have the balls to mandate vaccinations, the process becomes:

Step...

You forgot Steps 2b, 4b, 6b, etc.: "Offer thoughts and prayers."

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: July 20, 2021 06:07PM
PeterB
N-OS X-tasy!
RgrF

The preferred process:

Step...

Well, I'm an agnostic, so... maybe just thoughts.

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2021 06:07PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: July 20, 2021 06:52PM
Lemon Drop
My great aunt came over this afternoon and said everyone needs to get vaccinated because of those deviants!

smiley-laughing001thumbs up
Date: July 20, 2021 07:28PM
N-OS X-tasy!
PeterB
N-OS X-tasy!
RgrF

The preferred process:

Step...

Well, I'm an agnostic, so... maybe just thoughts.

So am I, but you've got to include the "prayers", because if you don't, you're a God-hating heathen.

Posted by: hal
Date: July 20, 2021 07:33PM
DeusxMac
Lemon Drop

I didn't get that - I thought she was talking about Republicans...
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 20, 2021 07:59PM
N-OS X-tasy!
RgrF

The preferred process:

Step...

Even if the legislators would make it mandatory, the courts will either overturn it or tie it up until it won't matter.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: July 20, 2021 08:17PM
Lemon Drop

smiley12 Them, too.

Posted by: AllGold
Date: July 20, 2021 08:26PM
hal

I'm sorry to be so cynical and heartless, but someone who is an anti-vaxxer and very well known needs to get really sick and hospitalized for a significant period time before people will wise up.

Even then, some people will never get wise.

Posted by: bfd
Date: July 20, 2021 10:33PM
Still not sure what "testing positive" means for someone who's been vaccinated, especially if they're asymptomatic.

What's more concerning is that common colds and the flu also present with similar symptoms as this new crud.

Some colds can be pretty bad for at least a week… Flu tests can be a little fluky … So what's a cougher to do this fall and winter?
Date: July 20, 2021 10:43PM
bfd
Still not sure what "testing positive" means for someone who's been vaccinated, especially if they're asymptomatic.

What's more concerning is that common colds and the flu also present with similar symptoms as this new crud.

Some colds can be pretty bad for at least a week… Flu tests can be a little fluky … So what's a cougher to do this fall and winter?

Seek out the nearest anti-vaxxer protest and attend?
Posted by: Janit
Date: July 21, 2021 07:06AM
bfd

Another reason to keep wearing a mask.
Date: July 21, 2021 09:18AM
hal
DeusxMac
Lemon Drop

I didn't get that - I thought she was talking about Republicans...

Whatever it takes to convince someone to get the jab(s), I'm for it!
Date: July 21, 2021 09:20AM
Janit
bfd

Another reason to keep wearing a mask.

My wife is an elementary school teacher, she will be wearing her mask this fall. She doesn't care what her school will require, she's going to follow public health measures - and the fact that she was NOT sick every month with something from her kids last year when she was required to teach in-person during COVID. If the school complains, she feels very comfortable quitting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2021 09:20AM by sekker.
Date: July 21, 2021 10:45AM
CORVALLIS, OR—Stressing that he was hesitant to get one until more evidence came to light, local man Jeff Bryan told reporters Monday that he was just waiting to observe the long-term effects of the Covid-19 vaccine...
Posted by: deckeda
Date: July 21, 2021 02:18PM
As a vaxxed person my decision comes down to becoming infected later and dealing with a mild case of whatever (if I feel bad, which I might not) vs doing all the things we did prior to vaccinations + more (since delta propagates more easily.)

Given that she was vaxxed, ask Pelosi if it’s slowing her down, as an example. We’re at the point where if you’re not vaxxed it’s not something I can worry about.

I do worry about the under-12 kids however. But the thing is, I need a lot of HELP keeping them safe because I can’t do it alone, and I’m pretty damn sure there remains millions who could help them who have done nothing but spew disinformation.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: July 21, 2021 02:49PM
Pelosi aides, not Pelosi.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: July 21, 2021 03:25PM
sekker
My wife is an elementary school teacher, she will be wearing her mask this fall. She doesn't care what her school will require, she's going to follow public health measures - and the fact that she was NOT sick every month with something from her kids last year when she was required to teach in-person during COVID. If the school complains, she feels very comfortable quitting.

And open a window, and put up spit-shields wherever possible. (Easy to craft some or buy.)

...Masks are most effective at preventing the spread of illness from you to others. You wear them out of respect for the well-being of other humans, not so much to protect yourself.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 423
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020