advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Maybe the Mich kidnapping plotters are victims of entrapment??
Posted by: hal
Date: July 20, 2021 03:53PM
[www.buzzfeednews.com]

An examination of the case by BuzzFeed News also reveals that some of those informants, acting under the direction of the FBI, played a far larger role than has previously been reported. Working in secret, they did more than just passively observe and report on the actions of the suspects. Instead, they had a hand in nearly every aspect of the alleged plot, starting with its inception. The extent of their involvement raises questions as to whether there would have even been a conspiracy without them.

A longtime government informant from Wisconsin, for example, helped organize a series of meetings around the country where many of the alleged plotters first met one another and the earliest notions of a plan took root, some of those people say. The Wisconsin informant even paid for some hotel rooms and food as an incentive to get people to come.

The Iraq War vet, for his part, became so deeply enmeshed in a Michigan militant group that he rose to become its second-in-command, encouraging members to collaborate with other potential suspects and paying for their transportation to meetings. He prodded the alleged mastermind of the kidnapping plot to advance his plan, then baited the trap that led to the arrest.

This account is based on an analysis of court filings, transcripts, exhibits, audio recordings, and other documents, as well as interviews with more than two dozen people with direct knowledge of the case, including several who were present at meetings and training sessions where prosecutors say the plot was hatched. All but one of the 14 original defendants have pleaded not guilty, and they vigorously deny that they were involved in a conspiracy to kidnap anyone.

snip

Attorneys for all but one of the defendants declined invitations to comment on the record for this story. To date, one defendant has formally accused the government of entrapment, arguing that the FBI assembled the key plotters, encouraged the group's anti-government feelings, and even gave its members military-style training. Additional defendants have said they plan to make similar claims when the cases, divided between federal and state court, go to trial starting as soon as October.

Last week, the lawyer for one defendant filed a motion that included texts from an FBI agent to a key informant, the Iraq War veteran, directing him to draw specific people into the conspiracy — potential evidence of entrapment that he said the government “inadvertently disclosed.” He is requesting all texts sent and received by that informant, and other attorneys are now considering motions that accuse the government of intentionally withholding evidence of entrapment.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Maybe the Mich kidnapping plotters are victims of entrapment??
Posted by: RgrF
Date: July 20, 2021 04:08PM
Read that earlier. Entrapment is a defense raised when there is no other defense to the charge. Government lawyers knew they'd be facing an attempt to put the prosecution on defense - it has worked in a very few cases but seldom in such a high profile case.
Posted by: SteveO
Date: July 21, 2021 05:03PM
Jesus H. This seems to be a pattern with the FBI. I read from a credible source that they also did this to some mentally ill Muslims here in the US, basically planting seeds of ideas to do harm, then giving them "weaponry" and then arresting them. That was more of a post-9/11 era thing, but I guess they stick to what works.

Aside from the illegality of it all, this is all terribly stupid and dangerous policy/procedure and a real Pandora's Box in several ways.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 22, 2021 02:30PM
That was more of a post-9/11 era thing, but I guess they stick to what works.

Theater posing as security, and a really egregious example at that.

I hope Buzzfeed is wrong, because this really does just the opposite, not to mention the potential travesty of illegal activity under the color of law.

A former AJ instructor (also a senior trials lawyer for Alameda County) always said 'Bad police work makes bad case law'.

Allowing informants to act as recruiters, if true, is so wrong on so many levels.

Still, I'm not for letting anyone willing to engage in a conspiracy to commit a crime, completely off the hook.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 406
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020