advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Sad Alabama healthcare story
Posted by: hal
Date: July 21, 2021 02:11PM
Everyone I follow on twitter is passing this story along - it's really sad.

[www.al.com]

<I snipped out lots of background and just kept the Dr's quotes>>

Dr. Brytney Cobia said Monday that all but one of her COVID patients in Alabama did not receive the vaccine. The vaccinated patient, she said, just needed a little oxygen and is expected to fully recover. Some of the others are dying.

“I’m admitting young healthy people to the hospital with very serious COVID infections,” wrote Cobia, a hospitalist at Grandview Medical Center in Birmingham, in an emotional Facebook post Sunday. “One of the last things they do before they’re intubated is beg me for the vaccine. I hold their hand and tell them that I’m sorry, but it’s too late.”

“A few days later when I call time of death,” continued Cobia on Facebook, “I hug their family members and I tell them the best way to honor their loved one is to go get vaccinated and encourage everyone they know to do the same.”

“They cry. And they tell me they didn’t know. They thought it was a hoax. They thought it was political. They thought because they had a certain blood type or a certain skin color they wouldn’t get as sick. They thought it was ‘just the flu’. But they were wrong. And they wish they could go back. But they can’t. So they thank me and they go get the vaccine. And I go back to my office, write their death note, and say a small prayer that this loss will save more lives.”

“You kind of go into it thinking, ‘Okay, I’m not going to feel bad for this person, because they make their own choice,’” Cobia said. “But then you actually see them, you see them face to face, and it really changes your whole perspective, because they’re still just a person that thinks that they made the best decision that they could with the information that they have, and all the misinformation that’s out there.

“And now all you really see is their fear and their regret. And even though I may walk into the room thinking, ‘Okay, this is your fault, you did this to yourself,’ when I leave the room, I just see a person that’s really suffering, and that is so regretful for the choice that they made.”

“It’s really hard because all of us physicians and other medical staff, we’ve been doing this for a long time and all of us are very, at this point, tired and emotionally drained and cynical,” she said.

Cobia said the current wave of Delta patients reminds her of the time in October and November of 2020, just before Alabama’s peak of coronavirus cases and deaths.

“What we saw in December 2020, and January 2021, that was the absolute peak, the height of the pandemic, where I was signing 10 death certificates a day,” she said. “Now, it’s certainly not like that, but it’s very reminiscent of probably October, November of 2020, where we know there’s a lot of big things coming up.”

Cobia worries that the upcoming school year will lead to a similar surge.

“All these kids are about to go back to school. No mask mandates are in place at all, 70% of Alabama is unvaccinated. Of course, no kids are vaccinated for the most part because they can’t be,” Cobia said. “So it feels like impending doom, basically.”

“I try to be very non-judgmental when I’m getting a new COVID patient that’s unvaccinated, but I really just started asking them, ‘Why haven’t you gotten the vaccine?’ And I’ll just ask it point blank, in the least judgmental way possible,” she said. “And most of them, they’re very honest, they give me answers. ‘I talked to this person, I saw this thing on Facebook, I got this email, I saw this on the news,’ you know, these are all the reasons that I didn’t get vaccinated.

“And the one question that I always ask them is, did you make an appointment with your primary care doctor and ask them for their opinion on whether or not you should receive the vaccine? And so far, nobody has answered yes to that question.”
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Sad Alabama healthcare story
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 21, 2021 02:17PM
The Trumplicans have murdered hundreds of thousands of Americans. They should face justice for this.
Posted by: rgG
Date: July 21, 2021 03:27PM
Very well put. Thanks for posting.
Maybe we need some PSA’s for the Covid vaccine along the lines of those stop smoking ads you see now.
They would need to have a heavy buy on Fox and other far right outlets.

Honestly, I am not sure what can be done to convert some of these people.
My 90 year old mother’s only living sister, age 85 with underlying conditions, refuses to get the shot. My mom has talked to her till she is blue in the face. She claims she had a bad reaction to some shot ages ago and won’t even consider it. What can you do?
My mom was calling the health department every day as soon as the shots were available to get hers.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: hal
Date: July 21, 2021 03:48PM
rgG
Maybe we need some PSA’s for the Covid vaccine along the lines of those stop smoking ads you see now.

My 90 year old mother’s only living sister, age 85 with underlying conditions, refuses to get the shot. My mom has talked to her till she is blue in the face. She claims she had a bad reaction to some shot ages ago and won’t even consider it. What can you do?
My mom was calling the health department every day as soon as the shots were available to get hers.

as the last line in the article suggests, your aunt can set up an appt with her Dr to discuss it. I would make that the catchline of any public service plan - don't get your healthcare advice from anyone but your doctor. Would take gardening advice from your plumber? No? Then why take your medical advice from TV presenters?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: July 21, 2021 03:57PM
I think the return to school will be awful.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: July 21, 2021 04:04PM
rgG

Perhaps a modified version of this: [www.youtube.com]

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2021 04:05PM by PeterB.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 21, 2021 04:22PM

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 21, 2021 05:01PM
We often act like our values are immutable and must be held above all else - BUT THEY HAVE @#$%& CONSEQUENCES AND WE CAN CHOOSE DIFFERENT VALUES OR NAVIGATE THEM IN DIFFERENT WAYS.

People are dying who didn't need to because they chose the wrong values.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2021 05:01PM by mattkime.
Posted by: rgG
Date: July 21, 2021 05:10PM
hal
rgG

as the last line in the article suggests, your aunt can set up an appt with her Dr to discuss it.

Maybe my mom can suggest that. I doubt it will do any good, but it is worth a shot, no pun intended.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: AllGold
Date: July 21, 2021 05:11PM
PeterB
rgG

Perhaps a modified version of this: [www.youtube.com]

That is great. I hadn't seen it. Thanks.

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 21, 2021 05:35PM
At this point the unvaccinated are beyond reason, nothing that anyone says will get them to change that peanut size brain in their heads.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: July 21, 2021 05:43PM
rgG

PSA's are Public Service Announcements. they are supposed to be free as part of the licensing with broadcast sations.

The PBS stations run constant NYC PSA's for Covid shots which are very well done.
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 21, 2021 05:49PM
“And the one question that I always ask them is, did you make an appointment with your primary care doctor and ask them for their opinion on whether or not you should receive the vaccine? And so far, nobody has answered yes to that question.”

Don't forget there are doctors out there that are agains the vaccine. Doctors who promoted Hydroxychloroquine.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: July 21, 2021 06:05PM
Here's the Fox News headline for this story.. (for real)

"Doctor's viral Facebook plea for people to get vaccinated hit with criticisms and questions"
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: July 21, 2021 06:35PM
Steve G.
Here's the Fox News headline for this story.. (for real)

"Doctor's Astronomer's viral Facebook plea for people to get vaccinated explanation that the earth is a spheroid hit with criticisms and questions"
Posted by: Buzz
Date: July 21, 2021 07:37PM
I -HAD- a few relatives that thought Covid45 was a hoax. FIL's little bro, who was only ~a year older than me, died from Covid about a year ago. I had to help FIL stream his bro's Texas funeral on his iMac back here in Cali. Semi-distant cousins in LA (not L.A.), AR, and OK also died from Covid last year. All trumpers, and all thought Covid was a hoax. It took until around May of this year for FIL to concede trump lost the election, and acknowledge that Covid isn't a hoax after all, and that in fact his relatives actually died from it. It also took tons of still-living relatives, and medical professionals to convince him to get vaxed.

You can't fix stupid. You can feel sorry for stupid, when stupid kills people you know and/or care about.
==
Posted by: PeterB
Date: July 21, 2021 07:40PM
Ombligo
At this point the unvaccinated are beyond reason, nothing that anyone says will get them to change that peanut size brain in their heads.

Except maybe death? It seems that's the direction we're headed, and the rest of us (vaccinated) will have to go along for the ride and be stuck with whatever consequences the peanut brains crash us into.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 21, 2021 08:00PM
there is some criticism that FDA did not fully approve the vaccines. As long as they have "emergency authorization" certain institutions (schools, military, hospitals, state offices) cannot really force their employees to get the vaccine.

It is clear the vaccine's benefits outweigh the risks, and they are way more effective than other vaccines.

FDA is dragging their feet. I heard the CDD and WH are frustrated about this.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: July 21, 2021 08:11PM
It’s interesting to think about what devils motivate someone who (as in this case) is eager to risk their life just in order to prove that nobody tells them what to do.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: RgrF
Date: July 21, 2021 08:40PM
Ammo
It’s interesting to think about what devils motivate someone who (as in this case) is eager to risk their life just in order to prove that nobody tells them what to do.

For a great many, contrarianism is simply a default position.
Posted by: testcase
Date: July 22, 2021 12:55AM
cbelt3
The Trumplicans have murdered hundreds of thousands of Americans. They should face justice for this.

I have NEVER been a "Trumplican" but, I did work in government for well over three decades. I know NOT to "drink the Kool-Aid" just because a government minion says it's the best thing to do. Even after waiting five+ months before rolling up my sleeve for the Moderna vaccine, I was STILL concerned about the unknown perils that could easily need just a little more time before unanticipated, adverse effects manifest.

As America is not yet all controlling, the people cited in this article were free to make their own choice (even if it turned out to be a bad choice).
Posted by: jdc
Date: July 22, 2021 02:52AM
testcase
STILL concerned about the unknown perils that could easily need just a little more time before unanticipated, adverse effects manifest.

honest question... what could be more an adverse effect than being dead?

162 million peeps in the USA are done, double that are halfway... thinking "unknown perils" are loooooooong past.

same sorta story: [www.kcra.com]

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: July 22, 2021 03:30AM
jdc
testcase
STILL concerned about the unknown perils that could easily need just a little more time before unanticipated, adverse effects manifest.

honest question... what could be more an adverse effect than being dead?

Getting Cronenberged.

Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: July 22, 2021 07:35AM
Doesn't it mostly boil down to 2 things?

1. Intense Tribal partisanship driven by national and social media: blue tribe wears masks and gets shots, red tribe resists that.

2. History of racial discrimination and lack of access in healthcare that led to deep distrust of the public health establishment.

And in the South we have many red tribe members and many Black Americans. Therefore, fewer vaccines, fewer masks.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: July 22, 2021 09:16AM
RgrF
For a great many, contrarianism is simply a default position.

It is what they consider "independent" thinking.
Posted by: davester
Date: July 22, 2021 12:00PM
testcase
I know NOT to "drink the Kool-Aid" just because a government minion says it's the best thing to do.

I don't see how that's relevant here. We're talking about every single worldwide medical and scientific research organization (not "a government minion") versus some Fox News shock jocks who make their money purely by stirring up @#$%&. Heck, it's Trump's moronic government minions that helped get us into this mess in the first place.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2021 12:03PM by davester.
Posted by: August West
Date: July 22, 2021 04:35PM

I did work in government for well over three decades. I know NOT to "drink the Kool-Aid" just because a government minion says it's the best thing to do.

How many decades of "work in government" qualifies an individual as a "government minion?" Is it "well over three decades" + 1 day? Inquiring minds want to know.

Apologies to the anonymous forum member affected by my previous sig pic. It was my personal pic of a country expressing great grief as their leader, one of the most recognized people in the world, lay on his deathbed 8 years ago, days before he died. Like a naif, I did not realize it was offensively political, I considered it an expression of deep emotion and a reminder of the mortal coil's nature; that we all, great and small, can only hope to make a difference in our short time here, no matter the personal cost.

I'll post another pic from my work in South Africa that is, hopefully, apolitical.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 136
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020