advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
For those here who are teachers and concerned about Delta...
Posted by: PeterB
Date: July 21, 2021 04:14PM
... data suggests that having a portable air purifier, even an extra one in addition to whatever the institution may have, decreases the probable infection risk:

[abcnews.go.com]

... I know some here had bought purification units for exactly this purpose, it's comforting to know that this has now been backed up by scientists.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: For those here who are teachers and concerned about Delta...
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: July 21, 2021 04:39PM
If one searches online classifieds, one can find IQ air and Blueair machines. I was able to find a Blueair machine which was $400-500 new, listed for $100 (got it for less than listing). A teacher friend of mine now uses it. They are two of the best machines out there in terms of large quantity of air moved and quietness. Their larger filters, while more expensive initially, cost less in the long run than the kind of machines you find in stores.

Anyone that has questions, feel free to ask.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2021 04:49PM by pRICE cUBE.
Date: July 21, 2021 04:52PM
Here is my post from 11 months ago about a makeshift filter system with a box fan and furnace filters.

[forums.macresource.com]

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 21, 2021 05:07PM
I love that kludge pRICE. I think this winter I will have one of our 20" box fans running 24/7 with a Filtrete MERV 1 zillion taped to the back in our house to even out the temp.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: vision63
Date: July 21, 2021 05:19PM
Dang bro, that's funky. I love that.
Posted by: hal
Date: July 21, 2021 05:24PM
moisten those filters and you have a swamp cooler!
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 21, 2021 05:25PM
My wife has a Medify MA-40 for her classroom. Good for 900sf, filters are good for 4-6 months and cost $25. She turns it on when she gets to school and sets the timer for 8 hours, so it turns off at the end of the day and she doesn't need to remember. They are about $250 new at Bezosville.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: July 21, 2021 06:36PM
Wouldn't the air circulation make the situation worse? Also, correct me if I am wrong, none of these filters can filter out COVID particles.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Date: July 21, 2021 06:41PM
C(-)ris
Wouldn't the air circulation make the situation worse? Also, correct me if I am wrong, none of these filters can filter out COVID particles.

Air is going to circulate anyway, multiple students in a room shift the air. Do you remember being in school and during class when someone farted? Everyone got to smell it. Better to have it be scrubbed air.

Certain filtration levels, MERV 11 I believe, can catch virus particles. The 2 machines I mentioned filter down to 2.5 microns. That should catches virus particles which are rarely free floating by themselves, usually attached to water vapor and should be large enough to get snagged. The IQ air system has a 2 part 2.5 micron filtering system.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2021 09:51PM by pRICE cUBE.
Posted by: p8712
Date: July 21, 2021 07:51PM
I had a dental appointment a few weeks ago, and despite everyone being vaccinated they were air filters in every nook and cranny running. Probably a good idea.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: July 21, 2021 07:54PM
pRICE cUBE
C(-)ris

Air is going to circulate anyway, multiple students in a room shift the air. Do you remember being in school and during class when someone farted? Everyone got to smell it. Better to have it be scrubbed air.

Certain filtration levels, MERV 11 I believe, can catch virus particles. The 2 machines I mentioned filter down to 2.5 microns. That should catches virus particles which are early free floating by themselves, usually attached to water vapor and should be large enough to get snagged. The IQ air system has a 2 part 2.5 micron filtering system.

1) If the air circulation is sucking particles out of the air, filtering them out, and then passing air out, it should make things better, not worse. That's the premise of the study mentioned in the ABC News clip I posted.

2) Most of the filters will catch the larger aerosol particles, very few (if any) will filter down to the exact size of the virus, but that's probably OK ... since the virus is mostly associated with the larger aerosol particles. In fact, an N95 is best at filtering out the stuff above and below 0.3 microns: [www.usatoday.com]

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: July 21, 2021 08:59PM
pRICE cUBE
Here is my post from 11 months ago about a makeshift filter system with a box fan and furnace filters.

[forums.macresource.com]

I have one of those going beside me right now. I think they're great. Mine just has one filter.
Date: July 21, 2021 09:55PM
[www.amazon.com]

These pre-filters can be put on filter intake areas to catch coarse and large particles while the more expensive filters underneath can filter the smaller particles. I have this In front of filters that catch 2.5 micron. It extends the life of the pricier filter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2021 09:56PM by pRICE cUBE.
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 22, 2021 12:35AM
Good to know this helps. Surface cleaning - not so much after a point.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: July 22, 2021 12:44AM
I thought surface contamination had been shown to be so insignificant as to be almost nonexistent. Maybe different with the 5 X 10 times more transmittable Delta?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2021 12:45AM by RgrF.
Date: July 22, 2021 01:10AM
PeterB
pRICE cUBE
C(-)ris

Certain filtration levels, MERV 11 I believe, can catch virus particles. The 2 machines I mentioned filter down to 2.5 microns. That should catches virus particles which are early free floating by themselves, usually attached to water vapor and should be large enough to get snagged. The IQ air system has a 2 part 2.5 micron filtering system.

1) If the air circulation is sucking particles out of the air, filtering them out, and then passing air out, it should make things better, not worse. That's the premise of the study mentioned in the ABC News clip I posted.

2) Most of the filters will catch the larger aerosol particles, very few (if any) will filter down to the exact size of the virus, but that's probably OK ... since the virus is mostly associated with the larger aerosol particles. In fact, an N95 is best at filtering out the stuff above and below 0.3 microns: [www.usatoday.com]

That USA Today article is very informative.

If a room has one air filtration museum, it could potentially circulate contaminated air. If you have two in a room, it cleans the air faster and reduces the load of viral particles that can stay in the air. All you need is one person who is shedding the virus with each breath in a room for a class period or longer and off to the races we go.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2021 01:12AM by pRICE cUBE.
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 22, 2021 06:31PM
RgrF
I thought surface contamination had been shown to be so insignificant as to be almost nonexistent. Maybe different with the 5 X 10 times more transmittable Delta?

Yes, current data is that surface contamination does not transmit the virus that causes COVID-19.

But plenty of other germs do, so it's still a good idea to keep a clean classroom.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: July 23, 2021 06:10AM
pRICE,

Gotta say your post about IQAir and BlueAir machines is misleading. Although both brands make very good air purifiers, they aren't necessarily the best when it comes to performance.

It's all about the level of nastiness in the air, room size and air changes per hour and you _can't_ go by advertised claims. You have to do your own legwork and change the filters as per the manufacture's recommendation or sooner than they recommend..

I looked at some of the recent BlueAir models and one that is supposed the correct size for a room that needed a new air purifier was inadequate. It would've been sufficient for a room that is half the size, despite the advertised clean air delivery rate. I moved to the next model up in the line. It's performed admirably.

With regard to making a DYI air purifier out of a box fan and an air filter. Meh. Useful if you've got nothing else but still outclassed by a quality air purifier sized correctly for the given space and level of nastiness. Wirecutter actually put together a good writeup about DYI air purifiers:

[www.nytimes.com]

Robert
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 106
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020