AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Delta goes to Washington, infects vaccinated Capitol staffers
Posted by: Fritz
Date: July 23, 2021 09:26AM
[arstechnica.com]

if you aren't, please ....

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Delta goes to Washington, infects vaccinated Capitol staffers
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 23, 2021 10:20AM
.....go get.....'em.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: July 23, 2021 10:33AM
Latest study puts J&J at about 33% efficacy against Delta.

(I got J&J.)

The CDC needs to get off their d@mn asses and approve boosters.

Posted by: Fritz
Date: July 23, 2021 10:38AM
I am starting to dread October.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: July 23, 2021 10:48AM
Depressing. Back from errands, everybody in town is masked up again. Went for physical yesterday, my doctor said she had just gotten used to not being stressed all the time...now the stress is back.
Not worried about myself with double dose Pfizer but I would hate to infect an unvaxxed person
Posted by: GGD
Date: July 23, 2021 10:59AM
Sarcany
Latest study puts J&J at about 33% efficacy against Delta.

(I got J&J.)

The CDC needs to get off their d@mn asses and approve boosters.

Israel is now reporting that Pfizer is 39% effective against Delta.

[www.forbes.com]

Pfizer Shot Just 39% Effective Against Delta Infection, But Largely Prevents Severe Illness, Israel Study Suggests

A full course of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine was just 39% effective at preventing infections and 41% effective at preventing symptomatic infections caused by the Delta Covid-19 variant, according to Israel’s health ministry, down from early estimates of 64% two weeks ago.

The figures, based on data from an unspecified number of people between June 20 and July 17, are significantly lower than previous estimates of the vaccine’s efficacy against other variants, which initial clinical trials found to be 95%.

The Israel findings also conflict with several other studies assessing the vaccine’s performance against the Delta variant, which indicated only slightly diminished degrees of protection against infection and mild illness (between 80% and 90%), including peer reviewed research from Public Health England published Wednesday.

The vaccine still provides very high levels of protection against hospitalization (92%) and severe illness (91%) caused by the Delta variant, the ministry said.

In a statement, Pfizer and BioNTech noted that while real-world data from Israel show vaccine efficacy in preventing infection and symptomatic disease to decline six months post-vaccination, “efficacy in preventing serious illnesses remains high.”
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 23, 2021 11:52AM
Fritz
I am starting to dread October.

....but.....April is the Cruelest Month......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: July 23, 2021 12:18PM
GGD

Pfizer Shot Just 39% Effective Against Delta Infection, But Largely Prevents Severe Illness, Israel Study Suggests...Pfizer and BioNTech noted that while real-world data from Israel show vaccine efficacy in preventing infection and symptomatic disease to decline six months post-vaccination...
smiley-shocked003
Date: July 23, 2021 12:53PM
NEJM published an article yesterday on vaccine effectiveness against delta, based on UK data, and found the 2 dose regimen holding up pretty well.

[www.nejm.org]

There isn't a lot of data on this yet and breakthrough infection was predicted from the beginning, so hopefully the message stays focused on getting vaccinated as the best route to safety, backed up with some social distancing measures.

It worries me that the focus on breakthrough infectoons instead of on unvaccinated people who are 99% of the sick and dying may discourage vaccination.
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 23, 2021 04:11PM
Lemon Drop
NEJM published an article yesterday on vaccine effectiveness against delta, based on UK data, and found the 2 dose regimen holding up pretty well.

[www.nejm.org]

There isn't a lot of data on this yet and breakthrough infection was predicted from the beginning, so hopefully the message stays focused on getting vaccinated as the best route to safety, backed up with some social distancing measures.

It worries me that the focus on breakthrough infectoons instead of on unvaccinated people who are 99% of the sick and dying may discourage vaccination.

'RESULTS
Effectiveness after one dose of vaccine (BNT162b2 or ChAdOx1 nCoV-19) was notably lower among persons with the delta variant (30.7%; 95% confidence interval [CI], 25.2 to 35.7) than among those with the alpha variant (48.7%; 95% CI, 45.5 to 51.7); the results were similar for both vaccines. With the BNT162b2 vaccine, the effectiveness of two doses was 93.7% (95% CI, 91.6 to 95.3) among persons with the alpha variant and 88.0% (95% CI, 85.3 to 90.1) among those with the delta variant. With the ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 vaccine, the effectiveness of two doses was 74.5% (95% CI, 68.4 to 79.4) among persons with the alpha variant and 67.0% (95% CI, 61.3 to 71.8) among those with the delta variant.'

Get your jab, if you haven't. Get in line for the booster once it's ready.

I expect to be wearing my mask at work again even though we are 100% vaccinated.
Posted by: Acer
Date: July 24, 2021 05:43PM
Define "effective"

A. Effective at not getting the disease at all in any form?

Or

B. Effective at not getting a severe or deadly case?

Because A. would be nice, but B. is the immediate, necessary goal.

This isn't smallpox. It's not eradicable. It's only manageable.
Date: July 24, 2021 08:47PM
Acer
Define "effective"

A. Effective at not getting the disease at all in any form?

Or

B. Effective at not getting a severe or deadly case?

Because A. would be nice, but B. is the immediate, necessary goal.

This isn't smallpox. It's not eradicable. It's only manageable.

The goal of the vaccine is to significantly lower the incidence of serious illness and death. Turn this into just another annoying virus.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 110
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020