advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
We're Ben & Jerry Op-Ed
Posted by: August West
Date: July 28, 2021 03:31PM
Paywall warning.

We’re Ben and Jerry. Men of Ice Cream, Men of Principle.

Apologies to the anonymous forum member affected by my previous sig pic. It was my personal pic of a country expressing great grief as their leader, one of the most recognized people in the world, lay on his deathbed 8 years ago, days before he died. Like a naif, I did not realize it was offensively political, I considered it an expression of deep emotion and a reminder of the mortal coil's nature; that we all, great and small, can only hope to make a difference in our short time here, no matter the personal cost.

I'll post another pic from my work in South Africa that is, hopefully, apolitical.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2021 03:33PM by August West.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: We're Ben & Jerry Op-Ed
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: July 28, 2021 04:25PM
should have known something was up when they introduced 'Yasir Arafudge'

Maybe Jerry is feeling residual guilt from growing up mere blocks away on the white side of the heavily segregated Merrick-Freeport divide that still persists to a large degree on Long Island.

I strongly disagree with many of of the West Bank policies, but I feel that the company's decision is an effort to discredit Israel as a nation and perhaps with unintended knock-on effects against Jews around the world. (Which includes both Ben and Jerry).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2021 04:30PM by Steve G..
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 28, 2021 05:33PM
Steve G.

How was it?

Date: July 28, 2021 06:30PM
mattkime
Steve G.

How was it?

Slimy with a bitter aftertaste
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: July 28, 2021 07:46PM
Steve G.
Maybe Jerry is feeling residual guilt from growing up mere blocks away on the white side of the heavily segregated Merrick-Freeport divide that still persists to a large degree on Long Island.

There's no guilt for having left that place. I know it well. Merrick is one of the most evil racist and classist towns in the East.

They held ANTI-BLM protests.

God bless anyone who makes it out of that hell-hole with a shred of morality.

Posted by: vision63
Date: July 28, 2021 09:07PM
Ben & Jerry's ambition is to stay woke enough to keep their loudest customers from discouraging others to not eat Ben & Jerry's.

What do I win??
Posted by: RgrF
Date: July 28, 2021 10:29PM
vision63
Ben & Jerry's ambition is to stay woke enough to keep their loudest customers from discouraging others to not eat Ben & Jerry's.

What do I win??
Ben & Jerry have no further or future personal financial interest in promoting B & J - they got their money with an agreement the company would not, in future, become just another corporate actor.
Date: July 28, 2021 11:31PM
RgrF
vision63

What do I win??
Ben & Jerry have no further or future personal financial interest in promoting B & J - they got their money with an agreement the company would not, in future, become just another corporate actor.

I know Unilever owns them. But they supposedly allow the company to run independent of them. Makes sense since that's why they bought 'em.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: July 29, 2021 01:03AM
Why the supposedly?

You suspect something other than their apparent explanation or is it just your ongoing disdain for anything you see as progressive being damaging to your electoral politics?
Date: July 29, 2021 01:15AM
RgrF
Why the supposedly?

You suspect something other than their apparent explanation or is it just your ongoing disdain for anything you see as progressive being damaging to your electoral politics?

Who knows what the actual truth is. You can only go by actions and deeds.

I don't really have politics. I just have truths. boink smiley
Date: July 29, 2021 08:40AM
Whose truths? coffee smiley

Apologies to the anonymous forum member affected by my previous sig pic. It was my personal pic of a country expressing great grief as their leader, one of the most recognized people in the world, lay on his deathbed 8 years ago, days before he died. Like a naif, I did not realize it was offensively political, I considered it an expression of deep emotion and a reminder of the mortal coil's nature; that we all, great and small, can only hope to make a difference in our short time here, no matter the personal cost.

I'll post another pic from my work in South Africa that is, hopefully, apolitical.

Date: July 29, 2021 11:24AM
August West
Whose truths? coffee smiley

Aaassk the questionnnn...

Posted by: Rolando
Date: July 29, 2021 01:20PM
Please specify what you disagree with...

But it’s possible to support Israel and oppose some of its policies, just as we’ve opposed policies of the U.S. government. As such, we unequivocally support the decision of the company to end business in the occupied territories, which a majority of the international community, including the United Nations, has deemed an illegal occupation.

I think this a reasonable statement.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Date: July 29, 2021 01:41PM
Not sure if this is/was directed at me, but I'm in alignment with B&J.

Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: July 29, 2021 02:19PM
I thought they articulated their POV very well, as American Jews who generally support Israel's government but disagree on the occupied territories of the West Bank. No idea if these business decisions will exert pressure in favor of their desired outcome, that will be interesting to see.
Date: August 01, 2021 02:19PM
good comment:
"Ben and Jerry's is working on giving Vermont Back to the Indians"
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 128
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020