advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Pfizer says immunity drops to 83% within four months
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 29, 2021 05:42PM
[www.msn.com]

New research published Wednesday as a preprint indicates that the Pfizer Inc. shot provides 96.2% protection for the first two months, 90.1% effectiveness between the second and fourth months, and between 83.7% of protection for the fourth, fifth, and six months.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Pfizer says immunity drops to 83% within four months
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 29, 2021 05:59PM
I’m ready for a booster (Moderna, second dose Feb.2) anytime. But mainly I worry about my daughter who is an organ transplant recipient. I’m about to bootleg a third shot for her if I can find a willing or unwitting provider.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: July 29, 2021 06:29PM
Has this research been peer reviewed? This sure would be an easy and surefire way for Pfizer (and other vaccine companies) to create a lucrative new revenue stream with almost no effort...

It is what it is.
Date: July 29, 2021 06:33PM
N-OS X-tasy!
Has this research been peer reviewed? This sure would be an easy and surefire way for Pfizer (and other vaccine companies) to create a lucrative new revenue stream with almost no effort...

until some other company makes a vaccine that lasts a lifetime
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 29, 2021 06:57PM
Still provides near perfect protection against hospitalization and death.

The correct headline is here:

'Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine’s protection against severe disease holds steady over six months'

[www.theverge.com]
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 29, 2021 07:02PM
sekker
Still provides near perfect protection against hospitalization and death.

aaaaaand thats more important.

Posted by: p8712
Date: July 29, 2021 07:07PM
Crap. I’m on month 6.
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 29, 2021 07:09PM
p8712
Crap. I’m on month 6.

You are still protected. And that protection will likely continue for many more months.
Posted by: p8712
Date: July 29, 2021 07:40PM
sekker
p8712
Crap. I’m on month 6.

You are still protected. And that protection will likely continue for many more months.

Actually month seven.
Posted by: August West
Date: July 29, 2021 08:00PM
Speedy,

I wish I had the link available but I don't. A friend is a statistics expert, and she and I discussed much of this because her original studies (log ago) were modeling infectious disease trajectories. She got me interested and one of the research studies I read (out of the UK, IIRC) showed significant effectiveness of a third shot for solid organ transplant patients. You are a good man for watching out for your child. (not that I didn't know you were one of the good guys!)

Apologies to the anonymous forum member affected by my previous sig pic. It was my personal pic of a country expressing great grief as their leader, one of the most recognized people in the world, lay on his deathbed 8 years ago, days before he died. Like a naif, I did not realize it was offensively political, I considered it an expression of deep emotion and a reminder of the mortal coil's nature; that we all, great and small, can only hope to make a difference in our short time here, no matter the personal cost.

I'll post another pic from my work in South Africa that is, hopefully, apolitical.

Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 29, 2021 10:12PM
I too recall some studies about a 3rd shot, especially whichever one you didn't already get. My partner's immunocompromised youngest son is back at home. RollingEyesSmiley5

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: PeterB
Date: July 30, 2021 12:14AM
Racer X
I too recall some studies about a 3rd shot, especially whichever one you didn't already get. My partner's immunocompromised youngest son is back at home. RollingEyesSmiley5

Racer, how have the other Republicans you know been behaving recently vis-a-vis masking/vaccination ? (I wouldn't pick on you to ask, except for the fact that the forum is admittedly pretty far on the left side of things, and sometimes it's good to hear what the view of things is from the other side...)

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 30, 2021 01:01AM
Dude, I live in Seattle. I don't know if I actually know any Republicans here. Not that I'm one either. Our messed up state election laws require you to be registered to a political party AFAIK, and way back when, they only acknowledged 2. Mind you, I've been voting since the mid 80s. Being conservative does NOT mean one is a Republican. Both parties disgust me.

King County has I think, the highest vaccination numbers in the state, most likely of just about any county in the country for that matter. Last number I heard was over 80% of eligible citizens had at least their first jabs. KIng County Dept of Health really stepped up, along with the Seattle Fire Dept and countless hospital and clinic volunteers. Pop up clinics at the stadiums on game day giving out raffle tickets to those getting their first jabs. All sorts of perks from sponsoring businesses.

I still see @#$%& who have no clue how to wear a mask properly, but in our state currently, vaxxed don't need masks. Could change though. Probably should. I do see a lot of people wearing masks, and based on that 80%+ number, lots of vaxxed people wearing masks anyway. I do, so do my partner and her youngest kid (23yo)

I would go out tomorrow to get a Moderna jab to bolster my 2 Pfizer ones back in March if I could.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2021 01:02AM by Racer X.
Date: July 30, 2021 06:16AM
I would go out tomorrow to get a Moderna jab to bolster my 2 Pfizer ones back in March if I could.

I wonder what happens if you try.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 30, 2021 08:24AM
.....just in the news.....Israel is giving out 3rd booster shots.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: PeterB
Date: July 30, 2021 09:13AM
space-time

I wonder what happens if you try.

The worst I could see happening is a huge bill ... I haven't received anything yet, but then in my case it would be deemed medically necessary.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Date: July 30, 2021 10:16AM
August West
Speedy,

I wish I had the link available but I don't. A friend is a statistics expert, and she and I discussed much of this because her original studies (log ago) were modeling infectious disease trajectories. She got me interested and one of the research studies I read (out of the UK, IIRC) showed significant effectiveness of a third shot for solid organ transplant patients. You are a good man for watching out for your child. (not that I didn't know you were one of the good guys!)

Might be this one:

[www.nejm.org]

Posted by: hal
Date: July 30, 2021 02:38PM
Speedy
I’m ready for a booster (Moderna, second dose Feb.2) anytime. But mainly I worry about my daughter who is an organ transplant recipient. I’m about to bootleg a third shot for her if I can find a willing or unwitting provider.

has she asked her dr about it? Perter B was able to get a 2nd full vax after talking to his dr.
Date: July 31, 2021 08:51AM
hal
Speedy

has she asked her dr about it? Perter B was able to get a 2nd full vax after talking to his dr.

Her doc says to wait until they make a decision on whether or not a booster is needed at this time. I don’t see any harm in het getting one other than the aches and pains associated with the vaccine. She had no problems at all with the first two injections except the typical soreness at the injection site. She works at a McDonald’s and no one but her masks. Many of her coworkers are teens whose vaccination status is unknown.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2021 08:52AM by Speedy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 135
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020