advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Justice Dept. tells IRS to turn over Trump's tax returns
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 30, 2021 03:37PM
The U.S. Justice Department on Friday ordered the Internal Revenue Service to hand over former President Donald Trump's tax returns to a House of Representatives committee, saying the panel has offered "sufficient reasons" for requesting the material.

[www.reuters.com]

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Justice Dept. tells IRS to turn over Trump's tax returns
Posted by: deckeda
Date: July 30, 2021 06:53PM
“ Johnsen noted, "the respect due a co-equal branch of government requires that we presume the Committee will handle the tax information it receives with sensitivity to taxpayer privacy concerns."

Perfect. Keep them secret, right up until the time Republicans start questioning inquiries and results gleaned from the info.

Dems: “Oh sorry we can’t show you the proof, remember?”
Repubs: “So you’re bluffing, then.”

Dems: “Oh we can go there if you want to go there … “
Posted by: Ted King
Date: July 30, 2021 07:18PM
I think it's right to keep the taxes secret as the committee lawyers comb through them. If there is nothing illegal or show that Trump was particularly vulnerable to foreign influence then I'm okay with the taxes remaining private. If the lawyers do find evidence of either of those, then the relevant taxes should be made public.

e pluribus unum
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: July 30, 2021 08:09PM
I have no interest in his taxes other than evidence of crimes committed.
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 30, 2021 08:33PM
Steve G.
I have no interest in his taxes other than evidence of crimes committed.

This. if he found legal loopholes and didn't break any laws, good for his lawyers and his financial/tax advisers (he's not smart enough to find any of these loopholes by himself).

If they broke the law, then lock him up.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 30, 2021 09:11PM
I think it's right to keep the taxes secret as the committee lawyers comb through them.

Which is the basis of any objective investigation.

When it's over, pertinent findings, if any, should be revealed.

If none, the records go back, no harm no foul.

And I really hope an objective investigation reveals tons of criminal activity on his part.

But I'm not holding my breath...

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: pdq
Date: July 31, 2021 08:54AM
Ted King
I think it's right to keep the taxes secret as the committee lawyers comb through them. If there is nothing illegal or show that Trump was particularly vulnerable to foreign influence then I'm okay with the taxes remaining private. If the lawyers do find evidence of either of those, then the relevant taxes should be made public.

Two things: one, I don’t like letting Trump off the hook of presidents releasing their tax returns publicly. I know it’s not a law (it should be) but it’s an important tradition.

Secondly, I think his tax returns will confirm the NYT stories that he was only paying, like, $750 annually in income taxes (which the WH of the time tried to kinda, sorta deny). That kind of information, confirmed publicly, will engender public outrage (appropriately), and foster public support for tax changes like the Dems are proposing to pay for infrastructure and other things.

PS - Trump gave away his entire presidential salary for his first 3 and a half years, often claiming he was the first to do so. He wasn’t - JFK and Hoover did as well, and at least JFK did it without making a big deal about it. It appears that having lost the election, no one will say whether he donated the last six months - his people, contacted by the WaPo said they would look into it, but are now not returning calls about the matter.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: July 31, 2021 09:32AM
deckeda
“ Johnsen noted, "the respect due a co-equal branch of government requires that we presume the Committee will handle the tax information it receives with sensitivity to taxpayer privacy concerns."

Perfect. Keep them secret, right up until the time Republicans start questioning inquiries and results gleaned from the info.

Dems: “Oh sorry we can’t show you the proof, remember?”
Repubs: “So you’re bluffing, then.”

Dems: “Oh we can go there if you want to go there … “

You assume the republicans feel shame and won't play both sides.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: July 31, 2021 10:18AM
pdq
Ted King

Two things: one, I don’t like letting Trump off the hook of presidents releasing their tax returns publicly. I know it’s not a law (it should be) but it’s an important tradition.

Secondly, I think his tax returns will confirm the NYT stories that he was only paying, like, $750 annually in income taxes (which the WH of the time tried to kinda, sorta deny). That kind of information, confirmed publicly, will engender public outrage (appropriately), and foster public support for tax changes like the Dems are proposing to pay for infrastructure and other things.

As deckeda quoted above, when the DOJ issued its opinion the Acting Attorney General Jensen said, "However, the respect due a co-equal branch of government requires that we presume the Committee will handle the tax information it receives with sensitivity to taxpayer privacy concerns." And when House Ways and Means Chairman Neal (the only person in Congress authorized by law to demand a taxpayer's tax documents) sent the demand to Treasury, he gave this rationale:

The IRS has a policy of auditing the tax returns of all sitting presidents and vice-presidents, yet little is known about the effectiveness of this program. On behalf of the American people, the Ways and Means Committee must determine if that policy is being followed, and, if so, whether these audits are conducted fully and appropriately. In order to fairly make that determination, we must obtain President Trump’s tax returns and review whether the IRS is carrying out its responsibilities. The Committee has a duty to examine whether Congressional action may be needed to require such audits, and to oversee that they are conducted properly.

If they were to release tax information that did not involve illegal activity or activity that Chairman Neal said was the purpose of his committee for getting the documents, then Republicans could justifiably claim that doing so was a political stunt that went against the reasoning of the DOJ in giving their ruling and didn't address the issues the Chairman gave in demanding the tax returns in the first place. I agree that presidential candidates revealing their tax returns is an important tradition (and I definitely agree it should be made the law) but Democrats doing so while not living up to the opinion of the DOJ or the rationale Chairman Neal gave is essentially deceitful.

More subjectively, I don't think putting aside a president's or ex-president's tax privacy when they don't do anything illegal and so treating them differently from other taxpayers is a worthwhile trade-off in terms of the benefits you mention vs the value of treating all taxpayers - including presidents - equally.

e pluribus unum
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 94
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020