advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
"Our democracy is under attack. Washington journalists must stop covering it like politics as usual."
Posted by: $tevie
Date: July 31, 2021 01:13PM

What You’re Doing Is Unprecedented: McCarthy-Pelosi Feud Boils Over read a CNN headline this week. After a whiplash week of power plays...tensions are at an all-time high.

Is it really a “feud” when Republican Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy performatively blames Democratic House Speaker Nancy Pelosi for refusing to seat Republicans Jim Jordan and Jim Banks -- two sycophantic allies of Trump, who called the Jan. 6 mob to gather?

One writer at Politico called Pelosi’s decision a “gift to McCarthy.” And its Playbook tut-tutted the decision as handing Republicans “a legitimate grievance,” thus dooming the holy notion of bipartisanship.

“Both parties have attacked the other as insincere and uninterested in conducting a fair-minded examination,” a Washington Post news story observed.
(Can it really be lost on the Post that the Republican party has acted in bad faith at every turn to undermine every attempt to investigate the events of Jan. 6? a reader complained to me.)
[www.washingtonpost.com]

If you can't read the Post essay, here's a synopsis from News and Guts:
[www.newsandguts.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: "Our democracy is under attack. Washington journalists must stop covering it like politics as usual."
Posted by: testcase
Date: July 31, 2021 01:41PM
"performatively" ??????? NOT found when my MBP looked it up. nono smiley
Re: "Our democracy is under attack. Washington journalists must stop covering it like politics as usual."
Posted by: Ted King
Date: July 31, 2021 01:45PM
[word-finder.mobi]

Is performatively a valid scrabble word?

Yes, performatively is a valid Scrabble word.

PERFORMATIVELY: PERFORMATIVE, of a statement or verb that itself constitutes the action described, e.g. I confess my ignorance, also PERFORMATORY [adv]

The word "performatively" scores 27 points at Scrabble

e pluribus unum
Posted by: RgrF
Date: July 31, 2021 01:45PM
testcase
"performatively" ??????? NOT found when my MBP looked it up. nono smiley

Oxford English Dictionary outperforms a MBP, whodda' thunk it?
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 31, 2021 07:21PM
Need to reinstate a modern version Fairness Doctrine (all social media and TV/networks) but it would never get a vote in the current Senate.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: deckeda
Date: July 31, 2021 08:08PM
I like and agree with Sullivan but many of today’s Republicans do not want democracy. It literally does not poll too well with them.

So for a news organization to assume democracy is “the goal” brings its own cautions, such as when state-controlled media continually praise communism or whatever.

The question as ever may be, “who do you trust” but the first question is, “what do you WANT?”

Lots of folks in this country angry about being lied to, without an ounce of REFLECTION about what they want and why. They don’t want to do the hard work of putting what they’re told in perspective. It leaves them open to their base instincts, where thought isn’t needed. Hey isn’t Tucker coming on soon? He always seems like he’s got something important to say, right?
Posted by: pdq
Date: July 31, 2021 08:20PM
$tevie
One writer at Politico called Pelosi’s decision a “gift to McCarthy.” And its Playbook tut-tutted the decision as handing Republicans “a legitimate grievance,” thus dooming the holy notion of bipartisanship.

RollingEyesSmiley5

Oh, please. Elections have consequences. Republicans that held seven Congressional investigations of Benghazi blocked any bipartisan Congressional review of an attack on our Capitol (and attempted coup). And now they're crying partisanship and pointing at Dems?

I think Pelosi is kicking ass and taking names. Appropriately.

More, please.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: July 31, 2021 08:26PM
Filliam H. Muffman
Need to reinstate a modern version Fairness Doctrine (all social media and TV/networks) but it would never get a vote in the current Senate.

agree smiley Been saying this for the last decade, it gets no traction. MSM never made more $$ than during the Trump reign of chaos so don't expect them to carry that banner.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 31, 2021 09:29PM
I think the best part of the fairness doctrine was that it DISCOURAGED discussing controversial topics unless the shows wanted to do it in a thoughtful and serious way. Now TV and radio, just like facebook, just grope for whatever scares people.

Posted by: Wags
Date: July 31, 2021 11:05PM
Filliam H. Muffman

Yes. And while we're dreaming of things that will never happen how about adding "no lying" to their oath of office and actually holds them accountable to it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 102
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020