advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
The AG of my state has lost his mind
Posted by: PeterB
Date: August 03, 2021 05:12PM
My state's Governor has reinstated a state-wide mask mandate as of a day or so ago -- the city of New Orleans had done so days before that.

The AG has just released two form letters that he's suggested people to use, if they don't want to have their children wear masks or be vaccinated... effectively, to help them evade the requirements. (He very carefully states that he is NOT giving legal advice... yeah, right.)

[www.theadvocate.com]

The two letters are to make objections on either religious or philosophical grounds. Here's info about the religious letter:

"Landry’s religious exemption form letter comes from a Christian perspective. It cites several passages from the New Testament of the Bible — which is not significant for Jews, Muslims or people in most other faith traditions.

'I believe that Christians are called to communicate God’s words and message of love to the world. See Luke 9:2,' reads one portion of the form letter.

'I do not consent to forcing a face covering on my child, who is created in the image of God,' reads the form letter Landry suggests his employees use. 'Masks lead to anti-social behaviors, interfere with religious commands to share God’s love with others, and interfere with relationships in contravention with the Bible.'

In the letter, Landry said parents and grandparents should also object to children being forced to take a COVID-19 vaccine on the grounds that the nation’s vaccine program is a 'medical experiment.' The letter also states people should object to vaccine mandates because the vaccines available in the United States were developed using 'fetal stem cell lines' derived from abortions decades ago."

(... this despite the fact that the Pope has told Catholics that they SHOULD take the vaccine, even though it may have been developed using fetal cell lines, because the church believes in saving lives... which the vaccines do.)

And here's info about the philosophical letter:

"In the philosophical exemption form letter, Landry takes a different approach. He argues that federal disability laws allow parents or guardians to object to a school’s mask or vaccine mandate — though it’s not clear how. The letter doesn’t explain why a child whose family doesn’t want him or her vaccinated would be entitled to the same treatment as a child with a disability.

The philosophical exemption letter goes on to say that families could object to school mask mandates on the grounds that face coverings impose 'risks on my child’s mental and emotional health by hindering verbal and nonverbal communication.'

Landry also suggests in this form letter that cloth masks do not help cut down on transmission of the virus. The statement goes against what months of research has suggested about the spread of COVID-19. The Centers for Disease Control is recommending people wear cloth masks in public spaces."

(More info here: [lailluminator.com])

Ugh. Just ugh.

(He's also threatened to sue VCOM, one of the state's medical schools, over their mandating that students must be vaccinated to attend...)

facepalm

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2021 05:14PM by PeterB.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: The AG of my state has lost his mind
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 03, 2021 05:17PM
Looks like someone is hoping to run for a higher office.

How killing your constituents accomplishes that is beyond me.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Date: August 03, 2021 05:25PM
Ombligo

Exactly. All these politicians (I'm looking at you, DeathSantis) who are encouraging their constituents to ignore the rules ... which is likely to lead to their constituents' (and their childrens') hospitalization and possibly death... they're effectively reducing the pool of people who will vote for them. I know that's an awful way to look at it, but that's what they're doing. Landry's claim that really kids don't need to be so worried about corona is especially disturbing.

Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: August 03, 2021 05:39PM
PeterB
Ombligo

Exactly. All these politicians (I'm looking at you, DeathSantis) who are encouraging their constituents to ignore the rules ... which is likely to lead to their constituents' (and their childrens') hospitalization and possibly death... they're effectively reducing the pool of people who will vote for them. I know that's an awful way to look at it, but that's what they're doing. Landry's claim that really kids don't need to be so worried about corona is especially disturbing.

The number of people who die of COVID is extremely low compared to the overall number of voters they gain with their policies.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Date: August 03, 2021 05:48PM
C(-)ris
PeterB
Ombligo

The number of people who die of COVID is extremely low compared to the overall number of voters they gain with their policies.

I don't know; I don't think they're gaining any new voters with these policies, it's the diehards who will vote for them. In cities/states where there's a very fine dividing line during an election, I wonder how this'll tilt things.

Posted by: Marc Anthony
Date: August 03, 2021 06:00PM
Religious or philosophical exemptions to vaccination are coming from a place of irrational fear and willful ignorance. If you won't vaccinate because a fetus was aborted in 1985 and led to some cells that advanced science, then you might want to abstain from receiving medical care of any kind, because there's a sordid history involving some past medical discoveries, and those advances led to other advances.

Le poète doit vivre beaucoup, vivre dans tous les sens. - Verlaine
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: August 03, 2021 06:29PM
Jesus will answer by striking Louisiana with even more hurricanes again this year.
Book of Jerks 13:24
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 03, 2021 06:46PM
Steve G.
Jesus will answer by striking Louisiana with even more hurricanes again this year.

smiley-laughing001
Date: August 03, 2021 06:55PM
space-time
Steve G.

smiley-laughing001

I would laugh at this too, except for the fact that the last major hurricane to hit us (last year, Zeta) caused property damage to my house (blew out a window and damaged some computer equipment), as well as personal injury to myself (from the broken glass).

Posted by: space-time
Date: August 03, 2021 08:19PM
I was laughing at the "Book of Jerks", not the hurricanes.

Sorry to hear you got hurt and suffered property damage, that is not fun at all.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 03, 2021 08:44PM
Being against vaccination is proof enough that a person has a cognitive disability. You can’t fix stupid.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: p8712
Date: August 03, 2021 09:20PM
Marc Anthony
Religious or philosophical exemptions to vaccination are coming from a place of irrational fear and willful ignorance. If you won't vaccinate because a fetus was aborted in 1985 and led to some cells that advanced science, then you might want to abstain from receiving medical care of any kind, because there's a sordid history involving some past medical discoveries, and those advances led to other advances.

Henrietta Lacks would agree with this! At least her family has.

After seeing bizarre religious arguments of the past year, and the deification of Trump, I am more atheist than ever. No way to these people have anything figured out and our no way attuned to some sort of higher power.
Date: August 03, 2021 10:39PM
... and you'll notice that his religious exemption makes specific reference to New Testament quotations, which are inapplicable to most religions other than Christianity (as mentioned in the article). So -- you're talking about making a religious exemption for only ONE specific religion, not all of them.

I suppose if I go walking into my job or school and refuse to get vaccinated or to mask, I'm allowed to do so on the basis of the fact that the FSM has told me that the vaccines are poisons created by an orange blob, and masks are a no-go because they hide our faces, a manifestation of the touch of His Noodly Appendage?

Posted by: Ted King
Date: August 04, 2021 07:14AM
PeterB
... and you'll notice that his religious exemption makes specific reference to New Testament quotations, which are inapplicable to most religions other than Christianity (as mentioned in the article). So -- you're talking about making a religious exemption for only ONE specific religion, not all of them.

I suppose if I go walking into my job or school and refuse to get vaccinated or to mask, I'm allowed to do so on the basis of the fact that the FSM has told me that the vaccines are poisons created by an orange blob, and masks are a no-go because they hide our faces, a manifestation of the touch of His Noodly Appendage?

That's one the biggest problems with religious exemptions - how are you going to separate "real" religious objections from "bogus" religious objections? What's the standard for a sincerely held religious belief? And what if a non-religious person has a sincerely held belief against the same thing as the religious person? Are they out of luck because their sincerely held belief isn't religious? Isn't that discrimination against the non-religious?

e pluribus unum
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: August 04, 2021 07:48AM
Ted King
Isn't that discrimination against the non-religious?

When was it otherwise?
Posted by: pdq
Date: August 04, 2021 08:05AM
Masks lead to anti-social behaviors,

This one caught my eye. Still trying to figure it out. Does he mean all masks, like Halloween masks? Or is it because when someone commits armed robbery at a bank, they may wear a mask? (Kinda confusing cause and effect there).

They may also be carrying a gun, although I doubt that this guy would say that gun ownership leads to anti-social behaviors (which seems to me to have a much better logical likelihood).
Date: August 04, 2021 08:16AM
pdq
Masks lead to anti-social behaviors,

This one caught my eye. Still trying to figure it out. Does he mean all masks, like Halloween masks? Or is it because when someone commits armed robbery at a bank, they may wear a mask? (Kinda confusing cause and effect there).

They may also be carrying a gun, although I doubt that this guy would say that gun ownership leads to anti-social behaviors (which seems to me to have a much better logical likelihood).

Date: August 04, 2021 08:44AM
DeusxMac
Ted King
Isn't that discrimination against the non-religious?

When was it otherwise?

Mostly never, but I think it's still worthwhile to point it out.

I say mostly never because for some time only people with religious beliefs against war could get a conscientious objector status to being drafted into the military. But in early 1970s:

[www.mtsu.edu]

The Supreme Court was called on to interpret the exemption for conscientious objection and its relation to the First Amendment in Welsh v. United States (1970) and Gillette v. United States (1971).

Section 6(j) of the Military Selective Service Act of 1967 provided, “Nothing contained in this title . . . shall be construed to require any person to be subject to combatant training and service in the armed forces of the United States who, by reason of religious training and belief, is conscientiously opposed to participation in war in any form.”

In Welsh, the Court somewhat creatively interpreted and thereby broadened the phrase “by reason of religious training and belief.” According to the Court, “What is necessary . . . for a registrant’s conscientious objection to all war to be ‘religious’ within the meaning of 6(j) is that this opposition to war stem from the registrant’s moral, ethical, or religious beliefs about what is right and wrong and that these beliefs be held with the strength of traditional religious convictions.”

This should have been a model for all claims of exemptions based on a non-religious person's beliefs that are "held with the strength of traditional religious convictions". Of course, that brings us back to the problem of non-subjectively assessing which beliefs are held with the strength of religious convictions. I mean, if all a religious person has to do to get a religious exemption is point to a passage in the Bible (which is probably contradicted by a different passage somewhere else) then the standard should be really low for non-religious people to be given exemptions as well.

e pluribus unum

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2021 08:45AM by Ted King.
Date: August 04, 2021 08:49AM
Ted King
PeterB

That's one the biggest problems with religious exemptions - how are you going to separate "real" religious objections from "bogus" religious objections? What's the standard for a sincerely held religious belief? And what if a non-religious person has a sincerely held belief against the same thing as the religious person? Are they out of luck because their sincerely held belief isn't religious? Isn't that discrimination against the non-religious?

It also brings up the more basic question of what is a "real" religion and what isn't. Pastafarianism has been sometimes been recognized as one, sometimes not.

And the basic issue -- what do you say to someone who says that they refuse to vaccinate or mask because God told them not to?

Date: August 04, 2021 09:56AM
PeterB

It also brings up the more basic question of what is a "real" religion and what isn't. Pastafarianism has been sometimes been recognized as one, sometimes not.

Yep. There is no objective criteria to distinguish "real" religion from "fake" religion.

PeterB
And the basic issue -- what do you say to someone who says that they refuse to vaccinate or mask because God told them not to?

Nothing because they are most likely immune to reason. Maybe they would listen to an appeal from a respected leader of their religion, but probably not.

e pluribus unum
Posted by: August West
Date: August 04, 2021 12:57PM

...what do you say to someone who says that they refuse to vaccinate or mask because God told them not to?

No, I didn't.

Apologies to the anonymous forum member affected by my previous sig pic. It was my personal pic of a country expressing great grief as their leader, one of the most recognized people in the world, lay on his deathbed 8 years ago, days before he died. Like a naif, I did not realize it was offensively political, I considered it an expression of deep emotion and a reminder of the mortal coil's nature; that we all, great and small, can only hope to make a difference in our short time here, no matter the personal cost.

I'll post another pic from my work in South Africa that is, hopefully, apolitical.

Date: August 04, 2021 01:00PM
PeterB

You tell them you're sorry, but "because God told them" is not sufficient to allow ALL behaviors.

You may not sacrifice humans
You may not set fire to a nonbeliever's house
You may not run down a public street naked
You may not torture an apostate
Etc.

Jacobson v. Massachusetts
"United States Supreme Court... upheld the authority of states to enforce compulsory vaccination laws."
Posted by: kj
Date: August 04, 2021 02:00PM
As a Christian, I find it super offensive when people use Christianity to manipulate people, as he is clearly doing. Many, many Christians feel the same way.

However:

(... this despite the fact that the Pope has told Catholics that they SHOULD take the vaccine, even though it may have been developed using fetal cell lines, because the church believes in saving lives... which the vaccines do.)

This is a stickier issue. If you read the whole thing, the Pope said it is wrong, but it may be more wrong to hurt others by not getting the vaccine. He says people should advocate for different methods of vaccine development and production as a way to rectify things. I think this is logical and reasonable, but I have a hard time faulting those who take a harder line, although they ought to take all other precautions (and more).
Date: August 04, 2021 02:44PM
kj
As a Christian, I find it super offensive when people use Christianity to manipulate people, as he is clearly doing. Many, many Christians feel the same way.

However:

This is a stickier issue. If you read the whole thing, the Pope said it is wrong, but it may be more wrong to hurt others by not getting the vaccine. He says people should advocate for different methods of vaccine development and production as a way to rectify things. I think this is logical and reasonable, but I have a hard time faulting those who take a harder line, although they ought to take all other precautions (and more).

I think the thing with the Pope, and more generally with Christianity, is actually summarized very nicely by this quote from Gov. Edwards:

“If you’re a citizen out there or you’re a parish president or you’re sitting on a school board or whatever, and you’re thinking, ‘Man I just don’t want to do this.’ What public health expert are you consulting? What epidemiologist are you talking to? What data are you looking at?” Edwards asked.

“Did you hear a word that was said up here about what’s happening in Louisiana? Do you give a damn?,” Edwards said at Monday’s news conference. “I’ve heard it said often: Louisiana is the most pro-life state in the nation. I want to believe that. It ought to mean something. In this context, it ought to mean something."

... if you are pro-life, you should strongly support people getting vaccinated, because it saves lives. And I could agree with the Pope that if there are different ways to develop and produce vaccines, it might be preferable to do that. This being said, there are certain things that you can only do with cell lines, and the only way to make scientific/medical progress is to use those. And as pointed out above, medical advances have often been based on a terrible backhistory of exploitation... but we don't refuse to use the knowledge or advances gained, if they'd help cure terrible diseases and save lives.

Date: August 04, 2021 03:58PM
PeterB
kj

However:

I think the thing with the Pope, and more generally with Christianity, is actually summarized very nicely by this quote from Gov. Edwards:

“If you’re a citizen out there or you’re a parish president or you’re sitting on a school board or whatever, and you’re thinking, ‘Man I just don’t want to do this.’ What public health expert are you consulting? What epidemiologist are you talking to? What data are you looking at?” Edwards asked.

“Did you hear a word that was said up here about what’s happening in Louisiana? Do you give a damn?,” Edwards said at Monday’s news conference. “I’ve heard it said often: Louisiana is the most pro-life state in the nation. I want to believe that. It ought to mean something. In this context, it ought to mean something."

... if you are pro-life, you should strongly support people getting vaccinated, because it saves lives. And I could agree with the Pope that if there are different ways to develop and produce vaccines, it might be preferable to do that. This being said, there are certain things that you can only do with cell lines, and the only way to make scientific/medical progress is to use those. And as pointed out above, medical advances have often been based on a terrible backhistory of exploitation... but we don't refuse to use the knowledge or advances gained, if they'd help cure terrible diseases and save lives.

Hopefully you understand how that's debatable. A lot of people are uneasy with using tech that was obtained by exploitation. Using it sort of implies it's a necessary evil (or worse, for the greater good).
Posted by: Janit
Date: August 04, 2021 05:17PM
kj
Hopefully you understand how that's debatable. A lot of people are uneasy with using tech that was obtained by exploitation. Using it sort of implies it's a necessary evil (or worse, for the greater good).

The problem with any of these arguments is in the selective way they can be applied.

Modern techniques of gynecological surgery were developed by experimentation on enslaved women, which has only recently become widely known. How shall we address that? Should all related gynecological surgery be halted?
Date: August 04, 2021 05:52PM
kj

Is this the meaning of the word as you're using here?

exploitation noun
- the action or fact of treating someone unfairly in order to benefit from their work
- the fact of making use of a situation to gain unfair advantage for oneself:
Date: August 04, 2021 06:11PM
DeusxMac
kj

Is this the meaning of the word as you're using here?

exploitation noun
- the action or fact of treating someone unfairly in order to benefit from their work
- the fact of making use of a situation to gain unfair advantage for oneself:

I chose the word exploitation in my own post because it seemed to fit -- I was thinking of Tuskegee when I wrote it, but of course it might apply to other medical situations (Henrietta Lacks also comes to mind), and of course it might not apply to some situations too.

Janit is absolutely correct. While some might say it's unacceptable to take advantage of research obtained through morally reprehensible practices, the cost of ignoring the research and knowledge is higher. The best we can do is to try to avoid the practices in future, but sticking our heads in the sand isn't a satisfactory or workable solution. That Henrietta Lacks' family is OK with her cells being used for vaccine research and to find cures for diseases (despite the terrible way in which those cells were obtained) says a lot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2021 06:12PM by PeterB.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: August 04, 2021 06:23PM
Unless I'm mistaken, some medical advances developed by barbaric Nazi practitioners during the war era were later found to be acceptable effective and then incorporated into western medical practice.
Posted by: p8712
Date: August 04, 2021 06:45PM
RgrF
Unless I'm mistaken, some medical advances developed by barbaric Nazi practitioners during the war era were later found to be acceptable effective and then incorporated into western medical practice.

Not many. The rewarming studies were the only medical stuff of value. Everything else will see it as
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 04, 2021 06:52PM
RgrF

You are not mistaken. The US took deliberate steps to recruit NAZI scientists, doctors and engineers in Operation Paperclip. That group included the Surgeon General of the Reich Walter Schreiber and his deputy Dr. Kurt Blome; both were biological warfare researchers who used research from human experiments at Dachau concentration camp. There were numerous others including Sigmund Rascher, an SS doctor who froze inmates to see if he could wake them.

There were numerous medical advancements from the research, but it all came from ugly, horrendous beginnings.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Date: August 05, 2021 12:10AM
That is what I meant by exploitation. It might not be the best word, but much of what I was thinking was subsequently thought of by others, so I think communication occurred. I was saying that it is an issue that is worthy of debate, and it seems no one is disagreeing.

One more thought is that even if the greater good is served, basic human rights can conflict. There is a limit what you can do to the "few" in order to benefit the "many". As far as comparing it to other situations, I think this is a little different in that we're still using her exact cells.

I think it's debatable enough to withhold harsh judgement of those who decide it's wrong (which I already said). I think it's worth considering that the acceptance of the products of exploitation (violation of rights for other's benefits?) might encourage future exploitation if the payoff is perceived to be great enough. Most people don't want that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2021 12:11AM by kj.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: August 05, 2021 12:44AM
Has nothing to do with what "they want", once the toothpaste is out of the tube it's not going back. Scientific inquiry, weather done ethically or not, will continue and the results will come to light.

Imposing religious "morality" on scientific research borders on medieval thought.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2021 12:45AM by RgrF.
Date: August 05, 2021 08:26AM
RgrF
Has nothing to do with what "they want", once the toothpaste is out of the tube it's not going back. Scientific inquiry, weather done ethically or not, will continue and the results will come to light.

Imposing religious "morality" on scientific research borders on medieval thought.

agree smiley

...and the survival of the citizenry as a whole, outweighs the "beliefs" of a subgroup.

Jacobson v. Massachusetts
"United States Supreme Court... upheld the authority of states to enforce compulsory vaccination laws."

Zucht v. King
"United States Supreme Court found that... (a) school district... could constitutionally exclude unvaccinated students from attending the schools..."
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 139
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020