advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
“ Officials put the wrong man in a mental facility for 2 years. When he objected, they called him ‘delusional.’ “
Posted by: btfc
Date: August 05, 2021 06:43PM
“ Joshua Spriestersbach fell asleep on a sidewalk one hot day in May 2017 while waiting for food outside a Honolulu homeless shelter. He woke up to a police officer arresting him for violating the city’s ban on lying down in public places.

At least that’s what Spriestersbach thought.
The officer actually arrested him because he believed Spriestersbach was a man named Thomas Castleberry, who had an arrest warrant out for allegedly violating probation in a 2006 drug case.
It was the first mistake of many that led to Spriestersbach spending two years and eight months in jail and a mental institution for crimes he didn’t commit, according to a 36-page petition filed Monday by the Hawaii Innocence Project. While locked up, doctors pumped him full of powerful psychiatric drugs, judges ruled that he was unfit to stand trial, and his attorneys ignored his assertions that police had the wrong man, the document claims. “

[www.washingtonpost.com]

[www.cbc.ca]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: “ Officials put the wrong man in a mental facility for 2 years. When he objected, they called him ‘delusional.’ “
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 05, 2021 07:24PM
I can imagine some nimrod politician arguing that he should be thankful since the state took care of him and made sure he wasn't homeless. If it was Alabama someone would want to charge him rent for the time he lived in the state facility.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Re: “ Officials put the wrong man in a mental facility for 2 years. When he objected, they called him ‘delusional.’ “
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: August 05, 2021 07:38PM
He's homeless, so they would fine him and put him in jail for another two years.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: August 05, 2021 07:48PM
He won't be homeless after the settlement he'll get.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: August 05, 2021 08:18PM
Kafkaesque!
Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 05, 2021 08:44PM
I know that drugging someone against their will, and obviously without consent is a felony. And a Dr will lose their license from a felony, so that's one @#$%& who should be punished.

And anyone who had a part in that would be a felon accessory after the fact.

All that should require are paperwork with signatures for evidence, and it should be a slam dunk.

I wonder if you could go after the judges........

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2021 08:45PM by Racer X.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: August 06, 2021 08:23AM
Reminds me of the movie I Care a Lot.
Posted by: pdq
Date: August 06, 2021 08:32AM
Reminds me of the movie Shutter Island, only kind of in reverse.

That one gave me the willies.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: August 06, 2021 12:12PM
He won't be homeless after the settlement he'll get.

I hope that's the case.

That's some kind of Hell and I hope that after two years of that incarceration, he's OK.

This is a common trope in TV shows and movies, and that always gives me the willies, that it wouldn't be all that hard to do to someone, and once in getting out could be a really extended stay.

Creeps me out big time.

Neither the suspect (named in the warrant) nor Mr. Spriestersbach had fingerprints on file that could verify either's identity?

Certainly possible but an unfortunate turn of events.

If he was homeless and possibly without ID, then the cop may have made the arrest based on a physical description from the warrant, which is pretty iffy in my book.

and his attorneys ignored his assertions that police had the wrong man, the document claims.

Geeeze, the guy couldn't catch a break

Until he did.

Wow, I could see him spending even longer that 2+ years, imprisioned.

I know that drugging someone against their will, and obviously without consent is a felony

I'm not at all familiar with psychiatric hospitalization, but I'd expect that kind of medicating would be legal in a 5150 situation, especially since a judge has ruled the defendant unable to stand trial.

Proving doctors acted outside of medical responsibility would be a problem.

The same would/should apply to judges.

They can only rule on evidence presented, and it would have to be should they 'should have known', etc.

I hope somebody follows up on this and any litigation on the part of the victim, Mr. Spriestersbach.

He should be awarded multiple large buckets of money, but being homeless at the time of his arrest will probably be used as a point to try minimize any due compensation.

A real tragedy of errors.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: August 06, 2021 12:22PM
Hawaii officials wrongly arrested a homeless man for a crime committed by someone else, locked him up in a state hospital for more than two years, forced him to take psychiatric drugs and then tried to cover up the mistake by quietly setting him free with just 50 cents to his name, the Hawaii Innocence Project said in a court document asking a judge to set the record straight...

But what he didn't realize was that the officer mistook him for a man named Thomas Castleberry, who had a warrant out for his arrest for violating probation in a 2006 drug case.

It's unclear how this happened as Spriestersbach and Castleberry had never met. Spriestersbach somehow ended up with Castleberry as his alias, even though Spriestersbach never claimed to be Castleberry, according to the Hawaii Innocence Project.

Ok, that explains, but doesn't necessarily justify some screwups, and how he got out.

I'd like to know how they realized they had the wrong guy, or if they didn't, and kicked him loose anyway.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Posted by: Ted King
Date: August 06, 2021 01:43PM

e pluribus unum

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2021 01:48PM by Ted King.
Date: August 06, 2021 01:55PM
After reading the entire WaPo article, I have to update my rating of Tragedy to Horrific Tragedy.

The level of incompetence at every step and level robbing this guy of his freedom and competency for 2+ years is indefensible.

His sister stated that he was a shell of his former self.

I wonder if he's regained any of his former mental capacity.

Wow.

Just wow.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 06, 2021 10:00PM
The first clue is that nobody is going to give a fake name like “Spriestersbach.”

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Janit
Date: August 07, 2021 08:56AM
It is always a good idea to read the full article before coming to any conclusions. Castleberry’s picture and fingerprints were on file, and he was already incarcerated elsewhere. The public defender didn't even bother to check Spriestersbach's story.

The kicker is that the public defenders are now refusing to release any of the relevant records to Spriestersbach because they are all entered under the name of Castleberry.

Kafkaesque indeed.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: August 07, 2021 09:01AM
Gives the term "public defender" a whole new twist.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 07, 2021 11:10PM
You sure can go after medical professionals for malpractice, which can lead to criminal charges, and I bet you can go after an attorney for ignoring your wishes, like taking a plea deal when the defendant wants to fight.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2021 11:10PM by Racer X.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 152
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020