advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
North Carolina is child bride destination; bill could end it
Posted by: p8712
Date: August 15, 2021 05:17PM
Good

State lawmakers are nearing passage of a bill that could dampen the state’s appeal as the go-to place to bring child brides — but would still leave it short of a national push to increase the age to 18. The proposed legislation would raise the minimum marriage age from 14 to 16 and limit the age difference between a 16-year-old and their spouse to four years.

“We will have moved the needle and made North Carolina no longer at the very bottom of the barrel of states,” said Drew Reisinger, the register of deeds in Buncombe County. But, he said, “we’re still going to be putting a lot of children in harm’s way.”

Reisinger said the county, which includes the popular tourist city of Asheville, is a destination for many adults and child brides from nearby states such as Georgia, Kentucky, South Carolina and Tennessee — all of which have raised the minimum marriage age in recent years.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: North Carolina is child bride destination; bill could end it
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: August 15, 2021 06:58PM
I live in NC and did not know it was legal to get married at 14. It's about time it was changed, should be changed to 18 IMO. I was 16 once and 16 year olds can do some stupid stuff.

Grateful11
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: August 15, 2021 07:30PM
Gaetz for Governor!
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 15, 2021 08:39PM
You should not be able to marry or fight in a war if you are not old enough to drink a beer.

make the minimum age 21 for getting married or joining the army, or lower the legal age to drink to 18.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: August 15, 2021 11:08PM
There are other states with lower minimum ages than NC, but all require a judge's approval and/or parental consent to marry before 18 or 19 depending on the state. Only a few states don't allow marriage below age 18 at all.

I live in the state with the lowest age to marry on the books, MA has not updated from English Common Law which set 12 for females and 14 for males back in the 1700s. But a judge's approval and parental consent is required below age 18. From what I understand it has been many years since that has happened for anyone under the age of 16.

VT and AK set a minimum age of 14, a few states have set the age at 15, and 4 states have no minimum age on the books - CA, OK, WV and WY. The last four do require parental and/or court approval.
Posted by: Diana
Date: August 16, 2021 02:02AM
For Oklahoma, you must be 18 years of age to marry without parental consent. Those between 18 and 16 require written parental consent. If he or she is under 16 and pregnant or has a child, it requires a court order, parental consent, or the consent of the legal guardian. Oklahoma legal age

My sister wanted to get married before she graduated high school. My parents would only grant it if she agreed to finish. Forty plus years later, she’s still happily married to him.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: August 16, 2021 03:10AM
Diana
My sister wanted to get married before she graduated high school. My parents would only grant it if she agreed to finish. Forty plus years later, she’s still happily married to him.

Many marriages at that age have worked out, especially if there was support from family and friends. But many others have not, and often become abusive.
Posted by: rgG
Date: August 16, 2021 07:25AM
space-time
You should not be able to marry or fight in a war if you are not old enough to drink a beer.

make the minimum age 21 for getting married or joining the army, or lower the legal age to drink to 18.

That’s why the drinking age was dropped to 18, back in the 70's, because of Vietnam.
It was pretty hard for me to tell my daughter that she shouldn’t drink anything till she was 21 and at college, when the legal age had been 18 for me. I told her she just better not get caught and/or arrested. smiling smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 16, 2021 07:39AM
Follow up with a mandate allowing the easy sale of birth control AND morning after medications. AND allowing abortions. Or y'all quaeda will end up following the Taliban rules where a child who was raped will be forced to marry her rapist.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 16, 2021 07:56AM
There can be valid reasons to marry under 18, but it should require either parent or judicial approval.

I had a 17-yr old senior that married his 18-year-old GF, then did not live together for a year, Why? Both were enlisting in the military, if they married before enlisting then they would be stationed together but if they waited they likely would not be stationed together. So the early marriage was somewhat dictated by military rules.

However, I can see few circumstances for marriage below 16.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

The German word for contraceptive is “Schwangerschaftsverhütungsmittel”. By the time you finished saying that, it’s too late
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: August 16, 2021 10:44AM
Looks like age of consent remains 16, so even if you cannot marry them, still legal to **** with them,

plus a generous Romeo & Juliet exemption that means a 17-year-old can **** with someone as young as 13.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2021 10:46AM by Bill in NC.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: August 16, 2021 03:57PM
In Pennsylvania:

Children less than 13 years old cannot grant consent to sexual activity.

Teens between the ages of 13 and 15 cannot consent to sexual activity with anyone who is four or more years older than them.

People ages 16 and older can legally consent to sexual activity with anyone they choose, as long as the other person does not have authority over them as defined in Pennsylvania’s institutional sexual assault statute.

At least the minimum age to marry is 18 with no exceptions.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 219
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020