advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Other random Covid news
Posted by: deckeda
Date: August 21, 2021 08:09AM
no links but I read these in WaPo

1) Orlando is running low on water due to oxygen depletion in Covid wards. Oxygen is used in water treatment, so residents are being asked to um, consume less water.

2) the Pentagon is struggling to convince military personnel to vaccinate. This is hilarious, given that all a commanding officer has to do is order anyone’s arm to be presented. Which is what it’ll soon come down to of course.

3) 49 university of VA students disenrolled because they aren’t vaxxed. Now that’s what I call higher education.

4) OK here’s a link (free) Monoclonal antibodies are free and effective against covid-19, but few people are getting them
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Other random Covid news
Posted by: PeterB
Date: August 21, 2021 08:42AM
Crazy about the military. It's not like they don't have mandatory vaccinations for other things. We've now had so many people vaccinated, that if there were really serious health risks-- I think we would have heard about them by now. (And obviously, we have -- some very infrequent pericarditis in mostly young men, some very infrequent Guillain-Barré. Both of these aren't totally unexpected for any brand new vaccine.)

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: rgG
Date: August 21, 2021 09:14AM
Yeah, the military thing is insane. They can literally order you to your death, but they are hesitant to make you take a shot. WTF?

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: sekker
Date: August 21, 2021 09:18AM
rgG
Yeah, the military thing is insane. They can literally order you to your death, but they are hesitant to make you take a shot. WTF?

I think the minute the FDA announced full approval the military sends down the orders. The military has been told to not ‘experiment’ on its soldiers.

We will find out this week, if the rumors are true and the fda is approving the Pfizer jab.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2021 09:18AM by sekker.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: August 21, 2021 09:18AM
Re: #4

I have no doubt that one reason those doses go unused is that patients who request it are being told that it's expensive and difficult to administer and their insurance wont cover the treatment. (Because it's expensive and difficult to administer and their insurance won't cover it.)

They've seriously flubbed the whole program. It's a mess.

The Regeneron monoclonal antibody products are subsidized/distributed by the federal government, but the administration of it is not "free" and there are other monoclonal antibody treatments that are not covered and which may be administered if you just ask for "monoclonal antibody" treatment for COVID.

Medicare should cover the cost of administering the Regeneron product, but regular insurance companies are not required to cover it. Hospitals and private care facilities can charge thousands of dollars to administer it.

[www.washingtonpost.com]

“The government sends drugs, but it doesn’t send nurses,” said McCreary, the University of Pittsburgh official. The medical center had to supply intravenous lines, crash carts, transportation and rescue medications. After dripping the medicine into a patient, which takes about a half-hour, medical personnel must watch for another hour to ensure there is no serious reaction such as difficulty breathing. Private doctors generally do not have the capacity to do that, she said.

“None of those things are sent and none of those things are free,” McCreary said. “So you have to invest in the infrastructure.”

Monoclonals “are logistically difficult to get to people,” said Gallagher, the Temple pharmacist. People with mild to moderate symptoms may not seek a coronavirus test for days, he said. After a positive test, they usually talk to their primary-care provider, who refers them to an infusion center or hospital. By the time they get to one, the window of effectiveness may be closing, he said.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2021 09:20AM by Sarcany.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: August 21, 2021 09:24AM
sekker
The military has been told to not ‘experiment’ on its soldiers.

I wonder when this happened.
With the high frequency of rare ailments I saw in veterans, and not just from the Vietnam era, I've often wondered what vets were exposed to.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2021 09:27AM by S. Pupp.
Date: August 21, 2021 11:37AM
S. Pupp
sekker
The military has been told to not ‘experiment’ on its soldiers.

I wonder when this happened.
With the high frequency of rare ailments I saw in veterans, and not just from the Vietnam era, I've often wondered what vets were exposed to.

Yes, those are unintended experiments - and another reason why intentional experimentation is frowned upon.

The DoD research portfolio calls for all sorts of research into health issues more common in veterans - including some that you note.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: August 21, 2021 05:21PM
deckeda
3) 49 university of VA students disenrolled because they aren’t vaxxed. Now that’s what I call higher education.

Just to make it more obvious in case there was any ambiguity, it was the university taking action to disenroll the students because they didn't meet vaccination requirements.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: August 21, 2021 06:22PM

'Honestly, the vaccine is harmless
You won't feel a thing'
Posted by: Fritz
Date: August 21, 2021 09:09PM
big concert in Central Park today.
Friend of mine is a make-up person.
She called 10 2nds to get one or two on the gig.

Not one was vac'd.

Make up. You know, in someones face all the time.

They are all keeping busy though.
Doing brides and wedding parties.

!#$@@$#!

Date: August 25, 2021 05:49PM
As I noted, the military vaccine requirement came right after full approval.

[apnews.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 90
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020