AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
24 San Diego area students and their parents stranded in Afghanistan
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: August 25, 2021 11:04AM
Huh?

I have questions.

EL CAJON, Calif. — 

At least 24 students from the Cajon Valley Union School District in El Cajon and 16 parents are stranded in Afghanistan after taking a summer trip abroad

[www.latimes.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 24 San Diego area students and their parents stranded in Afghanistan
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: August 25, 2021 11:05AM
Planned to spend the summer in Kamp Kandahar? Are these people crazy?
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 25, 2021 11:10AM
Time share buy? Get in on the ground floor!
Posted by: samintx
Date: August 25, 2021 11:10AM
_________________ beats what country for a vacation? Afghanistan, of course. Second choice, Syria.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: August 25, 2021 11:21AM
Steve G.
Planned to spend the summer in Kamp Kandahar? Are these people crazy?

Are you ready for the summer?

[www.youtube.com]

It is what it is.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: August 25, 2021 11:24AM
facepalm

e pluribus unum
Posted by: davester
Date: August 25, 2021 11:32AM
My guess would be that these are Afghani expats who were visiting relatives.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: August 25, 2021 11:34AM
Conspicuously absent from that LA Times story are:
1. Why Afghanistan?
2. Why Afghanistan THIS summer?

Given that the story says "with their families" and "the missing students attend different schools in the 28-school district in eastern San Diego County" I'd bet the students and their families are ALL Afghani.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 25, 2021 12:03PM
Those kids are not going to complain about the school dress code anymore...

Seriously, what could possibly have made that seem like a good idea? Even if they were visiting family, the parents should have known better than anyone the idiocy of doing so.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2021 12:04PM by Ombligo.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: August 25, 2021 12:12PM
Ombligo
Those kids are not going to complain about the school dress code anymore...

Seriously, what could possibly have made that seem like a good idea? Even if they were visiting family, the parents should have known better than anyone the idiocy of doing so.

If they are Afghani expats visiting relatives, they may have thought this Summer was the last chance to do so before the Taliban took over again. That the Taliban would take over again was pretty much inevitable given the deal made by the orange disappointment last year. But that it would be so quick might not have been so obvious.
Date: August 25, 2021 12:29PM
I hope the school district required the parents that went and the parents of the kids that went to sign waivers that they release the school district from liability. If any of the students and/or parents that went are Afghan they could have gone on their own dime and taken on their own liability.

e pluribus unum

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2021 12:31PM by Ted King.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: August 25, 2021 12:45PM
This probably falls into the '...seemed like a good idea at the time' category.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: bfd
Date: August 25, 2021 02:22PM
They're actually from El Cajon, that's about 15 miles east of San Diego. A large Arabic community has grown and established themselves there. Lots of newcomers over the past two decades as refugees from the Middle East and Africa get out of those places. Afghanis are just one of several groups.

And it's probably somewhat like annual the mass exodus of Mexican families during the Christmas break. They go to Mexico to see family for the holidays, but their holidays extend far into January. As a result, these students are often MIA during the first few weeks of January.

Even if Mexico is a dangerous place these days, it's nowhere near the level of dangerous that Afghanistan is experiencing right now. Apparently, when these families went over, towards the beginning of the summer, they felt safe. And they'd planned to back home by the start of the school year last week.

Things change. Now they're not. It's not clear from any of the stories what the citizenship status of these vacationers might be. Some may be naturalized citizens while others may only have visas. Conjecture is that they knew the pullout was coming, wanted to say some last good-byes, possibly rescue a few family members, but got caught in the return. It wasn't a school sanctioned trip or anything, but the district is doing its best to try to advocate for the students and families. It's a noble quest. The district could just shrug their shoulders and say "oh, well". It's the right thing to do.

David Miyashiro, the Superintendent is a good person; the kind you want in charge of a school district and its programs. He'd go over there personally if he thought it might help.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2021 02:31PM by bfd.
Date: August 25, 2021 03:02PM
bfd
It wasn't a school sanctioned trip or anything, but the district is doing its best to try to advocate for the students and families. It's a noble quest. The district could just shrug their shoulders and say "oh, well". It's the right thing to do.

David Miyashiro, the Superintendent is a good person; the kind you want in charge of a school district and its programs. He'd go over there personally if he thought it might help.

I didn't know that it wasn't school sanctioned - somehow I got the impression that it was. I take back my facepalm response posted above.

Good on the superintendent and rest of the district for doing whatever they can.

e pluribus unum
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: August 25, 2021 03:09PM
bfd
They're actually from El Cajon, that's about 15 miles east of San Diego. A large Arabic community has grown and established themselves there. Lots of newcomers over the past two decades as refugees from the Middle East and Africa get out of those places. Afghanis are just one of several groups.

And it's probably somewhat like annual the mass exodus of Mexican families during the Christmas break. They go to Mexico to see family for the holidays, but their holidays extend far into January. As a result, these students are often MIA during the first few weeks of January.

Even if Mexico is a dangerous place these days, it's nowhere near the level of dangerous that Afghanistan is experiencing right now. Apparently, when these families went over, towards the beginning of the summer, they felt safe. And they'd planned to back home by the start of the school year last week.

Things change. Now they're not. It's not clear from any of the stories what the citizenship status of these vacationers might be. Some may be naturalized citizens while others may only have visas. Conjecture is that they knew the pullout was coming, wanted to say some last good-byes, possibly rescue a few family members, but got caught in the return. It wasn't a school sanctioned trip or anything, but the district is doing its best to try to advocate for the students and families. It's a noble quest. The district could just shrug their shoulders and say "oh, well". It's the right thing to do.

Thanks for the added details.

I just hope that they are all US passport holders.
Posted by: hal
Date: August 25, 2021 03:29PM
btw, something I learned this week:

Afghani is the currency used in Afghanistan
Afghan is a person from Afghanistan
Posted by: bfd
Date: August 25, 2021 03:39PM
Fortunately, the Afghan Hound is actually originally from Afghanistan.

Posted by: RgrF
Date: August 25, 2021 07:10PM
bfd

Back in the 70s we had one of those hounds. Foisted on us by her brother & his partner who discovered how "not cute" it was to have a large show dog in a small NYC apt. Brought her with us to a Fourth of July celebration - a high strung dog that was skittish before the fireworks was a complete basket case after.

What followed was amusing. B-I-L pleaded that we find it some sort of dog therapy. Dog therapy? Where did he think we were in NYC? We were in a blue collar Boston suburb, bad enough we had a show dog, I'd of been laughed out of town if the locals found out I was looking for a doggy "head-shrinker".

I agreed but at a 100% premium with the vet - we got a $ for every $ the vet got so I booked the most expensive vet in (a different) town - the bill ran into a healthy four figures, 1970 $.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: August 25, 2021 07:55PM
Never mind. bfd covered it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2021 07:57PM by DeusxMac.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: August 25, 2021 10:14PM
bfd

That was the dog of choice for hippies in my area. I saw so many during the seventies. Now I never see them except for pics or on tv.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 26, 2021 05:06AM
Further reports acknowledge it is not a school sponsored trip but rather Afghan parents and children going to see family and now caught in the mess. The school is just trying to help them get back. Some are on visa's, some with green cards, some are naturalized citizens.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: August 26, 2021 08:01PM
I've visited and toured their school district and met with their leadership. Amazing people and amazing schools, not the least of which is their superintendent. Glad to see that they are doing everything they can to help.

[www.youtube.com]

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2021 08:01PM by C(-)ris.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 94
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020