advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Delta Air - get vaccinated or pay $200/month
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 25, 2021 12:32PM
Delta Air Lines will charge employees on the company health plan $200 a month if they fail to get vaccinated against COVID-19, a policy the airline's top executive says is necessary because the average hospital stay for the virus costs the airline $40,000.

CEO Ed Bastian said that all employees who have been hospitalized for the virus in recent weeks were not fully vaccinated.

The airline said Wednesday that it also will stop extending pay protection to unvaccinated workers who contract COVID-19 on Sept. 30.

United Airlines earlier announced that unvaccinated employees would be terminated.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Delta Air - get vaccinated or pay $200/month
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 25, 2021 12:41PM
I like United’s method better.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: August 25, 2021 12:43PM
I just heard that on my traffic/news station.

This could go to court and I'd think Delta would lose (just a WAG though).

They won't require their employees to be vaccinated, but they recommend it.

I like the way they think.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: August 25, 2021 01:04PM
I don't want unvaccinated flight attendants on the airplane I fly.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: August 25, 2021 01:10PM
RAMd®d

Maybe not. Unless the cost for health insurance is set in a collective bargaining agreement, they probably can create a separate coverage class among employees on their health plan.

Also Delta is big enough that they may be self insuring for health coverage with outside insurance against costs connected with catastrophic illnesses. So anything up to some point spent per employees would come from Delta's books, and then after that be paid from their reinsurer.
Posted by: GGD
Date: August 25, 2021 01:25PM
JoeH
RAMd®d

Maybe not. Unless the cost for health insurance is set in a collective bargaining agreement, they probably can create a separate coverage class among employees on their health plan.

Also Delta is big enough that they may be self insuring for health coverage with outside insurance against costs connected with catastrophic illnesses. So anything up to some point spent per employees would come from Delta's books, and then after that be paid from their reinsurer.

Many employee health plans have different rates for smokers, reflecting that their lifestyle choice impacts their likely medical costs. Delta's approach is very similar to this.
Posted by: rgG
Date: August 25, 2021 01:35PM
If the carrot doesn’t work, then you get the stick.
At HD you pay less for health insurance if you are a non-smoker, so I see this as the same thing.
If you feel so strongly about not getting the shot, then pay the $2,400 a year. It seems simple enough to me.
I would prefer that any customer facing jobs be require to be vaccinated, in all businesses.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2021 01:35PM by rgG.
Posted by: Michael
Date: August 25, 2021 01:42PM
Our university system health care plan is self-insured and started charging smokers an extra $100 a month. That's per smoker on a given account. I'm fine with that. They haven't said anything about COVID vaccinations and an extra cost and they just approved the plan for next year so it won't happen right away. But, I'd be fine with it in the long term.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: August 25, 2021 01:52PM
I have no problem with using more, bigger sticks.

It just seems odd to me the cost of a health plan can be changed right now, and not on a 'renewal' or anniversary date.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: p8712
Date: August 25, 2021 02:19PM
They might wanna temporarily change their name...
Posted by: bfd
Date: August 25, 2021 03:12PM
Same idea is being rumored to be shaping up in some Colleges/Universities. No vax? … pay us to be tested weekly.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: August 25, 2021 03:57PM
bfd
Same idea is being rumored to be shaping up in some Colleges/Universities. No vax? … pay us to be tested weekly.

I could see that happening at the university I retired from. For now they are doing asymptomatic testing for free, requiring it twice weekly for those not vaccinated for medical or religious reasons. Vaccinated individuals can get tested voluntarily if they want. Symptomatic testing is charged to the student's health insurance. Some staff in customer facing positions such as food service are still supposed to be tested weekly as well, vaccinated or not.
Posted by: sekker
Date: August 25, 2021 05:41PM
I love the financial message this sends. It might be more powerful than 'you're fired', which has a martyrdom flavor...
Posted by: Buzz
Date: August 25, 2021 06:19PM
GGD
JoeH
RAMd®d

Many employee health plans have different rates for smokers, reflecting that their lifestyle choice impacts their likely medical costs. Delta's approach is very similar to this.

No CBA, as Delta F/A's are non-union, and yes, w/ that many employees there is a company self-insurance bubble for many employees/families depending on which plans they are on. With Pfizer now gaining full approval, it would seem that the vax or pay option is on solid ground. Frankly, they oughta be jacking the cost even more, AND making the unvaxed pay for frequent testing. Any religious/health reasoned unvaxed should be reassigned to duties that don't involve public contact until the pandemic is totally quelled.
==
Posted by: RgrF
Date: August 26, 2021 01:06AM
Frankly, they oughta be jacking the cost even more, AND making the unvaxed pay for frequent testing. Any religious/health reasoned unvaxed should be reassigned to duties that don't involve public contact until the pandemic is totally quelled.

When would you anticipate that might be? Seems we might be dealing with a "perpetual motion" type of virus, one that is uncontrolled and mutates for the foreseeable future.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: August 27, 2021 01:34AM
I would think/hope that in another year or so, that all the carrots and sticks will have done their jobs. With approvals in place, more places can make vaxing mandatory, and that should/will hasten herd immunity; hopefully enough to stave off mass pools of peeps from which new aggressive variants can emerge to keep making our lives miserable.

One of BIL/SIL's fully vaxed friends from HS in OC, that moved to TX many years ago, just died from Covid a couple of weeks ago. Felt crappy during the week, went to hospital middle of night Thurs/Fri AM, and passed away on Sunday. Covid sucks, but it's gotta be dealt with. Too many horror stories, and rampant stupidity is needlessly taxing the healthcare system.
==
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 30, 2021 04:35AM
Buzz
One of BIL/SIL's fully vaxed friends from HS in OC, that moved to TX many years ago, just died from Covid a couple of weeks ago. Felt crappy during the week, went to hospital middle of night Thurs/Fri AM, and passed away on Sunday. Covid sucks, but it's gotta be dealt with. Too many horror stories, and rampant stupidity is needlessly taxing the healthcare system.
==

It happens. The mRNA vaccines are ‘only’ 95% effective at preventing hospitalization and death.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 102
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020