advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Sirhan Sirhan is seeking parole and might actually be released
Posted by: hal
Date: August 25, 2021 02:32PM
[www.washingtonpost.com]

Sirhan B. Sirhan, convicted of the 1968 assassination of Sen. Robert F. Kennedy, will face a California parole board for the 16th time Friday in a prison outside San Diego. But unlike the first 15 times, no prosecutor will stand to oppose the release of Sirhan, who is now 77.

When California abolished the death penalty, Sirhan’s sentence was reduced to life with the possibility of parole. And now Sirhan, who has been incarcerated for 53 years, may benefit from a new push among progressive prosecutors to seek the release, or not oppose the release, of convicts who have served decades behind bars, no longer pose a threat to society and will be costly to treat medically in their later years.

In Sirhan’s case, Gascón’s office is remaining neutral. The office said it will not attend the parole hearing, as Los Angeles prosecutors have done historically, but it also will not send a letter in support of Sirhan’s parole.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Sirhan Sirhan is seeking parole and might actually be released
Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: August 25, 2021 02:56PM
I imagine others will attend to oppose his parole.
Posted by: bfd
Date: August 25, 2021 03:07PM
Costly to treat medically in their later years …

LMAO, so when Dept of Corrections lets him out, he's basically indigent. California will still be paying his medical bills via Medi-Cal.

He needs to be deported. And make Hammas or Jordan pay for it.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: August 25, 2021 06:56PM
[en.wikipedia.org]

Sirhan was born in Jerusalem to an Arab Christian family, where he attended a Lutheran school.[2][3] In 1989, he told David Frost, "My only connection with Robert Kennedy was his sole support of Israel and his deliberate attempt to send those 50 [fighter jet] bombers to Israel to obviously do harm to the Palestinians."[4] Some scholars believe that the assassination was the first major incident of political violence in the United States stemming from the Arab–Israeli conflict in the Middle East.[5]
------------
A motive cited for Sirhan's actions is the Middle East conflict.[32] After his arrest, Sirhan said, "I can explain it. I did it for my country."[32] Sirhan believed that he was deliberately betrayed by Kennedy's support for Israel in the June 1967 Six-Day War,[33] which had begun one year to the day before the assassination. During a search of Sirhan's apartment after his arrest, a spiral-bound notebook was found containing a diary entry that demonstrated that his anger had gradually fixated on Kennedy, who had promised to send 50 fighter jets to Israel if elected president. Sirhan's journal entry of May 18, 1968, read: "My determination to eliminate R.F.K. is becoming the more and more [sic] of an unshakable obsession...Kennedy must die before June 5th."
Posted by: Buzz
Date: August 25, 2021 07:03PM
bfd
Costly to treat medically in their later years …

LMAO, so when Dept of Corrections lets him out, he's basically indigent. California will still be paying his medical bills via Medi-Cal.

thumbsup smiley

If he comes back to LA, the brakes on all our cars may suddenly not work very well...
Never was fan, and thought he never shoulda left the Ambassador Hotel breathing.
==
Posted by: $tevie
Date: August 25, 2021 10:10PM
OMG, he's an old man. Prisons aren't supposed to be Revenge Wagons. It's a waste of space and money to keep him in one.

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: August 26, 2021 12:09AM
$tevie
OMG, he's an old man. Prisons aren't supposed to be Revenge Wagons. It's a waste of space and money to keep him in one.

This man changed the course of human history, probably for the worse. I have no problem with the idea of him being forced to remain in a cell for the rest of his life, ruminating on the consequences of his actions.

It is what it is.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: August 26, 2021 01:08AM
I'll go with $tevie on this one.
Posted by: neophyte
Date: August 26, 2021 07:12AM
bfd

I'll bet Hamas would gladly take him in and parade him as a Hero of the Oppressed.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: August 26, 2021 07:21AM
$tevie

Are there any differences between “revenge” and “punishment”? I contend they are markedly different, although their fulfillment might have elements in common.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 26, 2021 07:53AM
Well, this will be an interesting situation to watch at any rate. The right wingers hate the Kennedys, so will they make a fuss about a paroled Sirhan?
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: August 26, 2021 09:27AM
He murdered someone who will never return.

He carried out a planned assassination.

It's shameful that time served should be a mitigating factor.

He should spend the rest of his life in prison.

Life with a possibility of parole is a travesty.

It was a default sentence since he wasn't sentenced to LWOP.

Just because it's a possibility doesn't been he should receive any reduction in sentence.

Let him die in prison, paying the price he should, given the circumstances of his crime.

That's not revenge.

That's justice.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: August 26, 2021 10:00AM
Too bad he wasn't in the news earlier.

Trump probably would have commuted his sentence.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: August 26, 2021 03:51PM
N-OS X-tasy!
$tevie

This man changed the course of human history, probably for the worse. I have no problem with the idea of him being forced to remain in a cell for the rest of his life, ruminating on the consequences of his actions.
That won't bring Bobby Kennedy back. People shouldn't be in prison because it makes us feel good.

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: August 27, 2021 12:01PM
Whether it was Bobby Kennedy or the homeless lady that pushes around six carts of trash bags filled with her treasures makes no difference to me.

Sirhan had a plan to take a life, and carried it out.

That Kennedy can't/won't be brought back is all the more reason for his assassin to spend the rest of his life in prison.

Kennedy is still dead and Sirhan is still alive, with the possibility of being a free man.

Speaking only for me, I don't feel good about Sirhan being in prison.

It doesn't make me happy, there's no joy to be felt, because that doesn't bring Kennedy back.

As far as I'm concerned, he can feel that every day in prison is a happy Fizzies party.

But Sirhan dying in prison for the life he deliberately chose to take, does fulfill my sense of justice.

He should have been put to death, not because it would make me feel good, not because I believe it would bring Kennedy back, but because it won't.

Having the death penalty struck down, reducing the sentence to life with the possibility of parole, makes no sense to me.

It should have been LWOP.

The prosecution not opposing his parole at all is just shameful at best.

Sirhan had been turned down for parole 15 times?

Kennedy is still dead.

Sirhan's served 53 years?

Kennedy is still dead.

Sirhan's 77 years old?

Kennedy is still dead.

Sirhan walking out of prison is not justice because...

Well, you know.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: August 27, 2021 12:30PM
$tevie
N-OS X-tasy!
$tevie

That won't bring Bobby Kennedy back. People shouldn't be in prison because it makes us feel good.

It's not just about Bobby, $tevie. As I said, Sirhan changed the landscape of human history with his act.

Consider the Vietnam War. Kennedy had come out against it and, if elected, would likely have acted to end America's involvement LONG before Nixon finally did. That's a lot of American (and Vietnamese) lives saved and a lot fewer shattered veterans at home.

Yes, this is speculation, but speculation rooted in fact. An argument can be made that Sirhan bears some measure of responsibility for a good many American soldiers never coming home. I think that's a big deal.

It is what it is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 112
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020