advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Bournemouth (UK) bans deckchairs to curb beach violence
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: September 01, 2021 10:12AM

would background checks curb this weaponry?

Fears grow over the summer staple’s future as council bars their use after seats were used in mass fights in other beaches
[www.telegraph.co.uk]

They were once an immutable part of the traditional British summer holiday. Sand, sea, towels and, of course, the fold-out deckchair.

However, they could soon be a thing of the past after councillors on the south coast banned deckchairs, fearing they could be used as weapons.

Officials in Bournemouth and Poole have removed the usually striped seats from their beaches this summer over fears they could cause injury.

It follows several incidents of violence on already packed beaches this year, including in Southend where deckchairs were hurled between rival groups of men during a mass brawl.

In Bournemouth, where a major incident was declared last year following overcrowding fears, BCP Council said visitor safety was its priority as it defended a decision not to offer deckchairs or sun loungers to visitors – even if it loses them an estimated £200,000 in revenue.

-
Council bosses were probably keen to avoid a repeat of the infamous Mods vs Rockers clashes of the Sixties, which involved deckchairs
Council bosses were probably keen to avoid a repeat of the infamous Mods vs Rockers clashes of the Sixties, which involved deckchairs Credit: Keystone/Getty Images

Fears of deckchair violence recall the moral panic over clashes between Mods and Rockers at British seaside resorts such as Margate during the Sixties.

A spokesman from BCP Council said: “As part of our seasonal response planning earlier in the year, the decision was made not to hire out our deckchairs or sun loungers this year. The wellbeing and safety of our staff, residents and visitors was a priority in this decision.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2021 10:13AM by Steve G..
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Bournemouth (UK) bans deckchairs to curb beach violence
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: September 01, 2021 07:02PM
Steve G.
Council bosses were probably keen to avoid a repeat of the infamous Mods vs Rockers clashes of the Sixties, which involved deckchairs
Council bosses were probably keen to avoid a repeat of the infamous Mods vs Rockers clashes of the Sixties, which involved deckchairs Credit: Keystone/Getty Images

Fears of deckchair violence recall the moral panic over clashes between Mods and Rockers at British seaside resorts such as Margate during the Sixties.

Were Mods and Rockers mentioned? devil smiley
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 02, 2021 08:30AM
Use a deck chair, go to jail.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: September 02, 2021 04:45PM
"Deck chairs don't kill people, people do."
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: September 02, 2021 07:36PM
RgrF
"Deck chairs don't kill people, people do."

I prefer, "Deck chairs don't kill people, but sharpened beach umbrellas might."
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 81
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020