advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
A University of Texas poll found less than 1/3rd of Texans wanted abortion laws to become more strict
Posted by: AllGold
Date: September 01, 2021 08:24PM
But who cares what the voters want, I guess.

Heard on R.M.S.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: A University of Texas poll found less than 1/3rd of Texans wanted abortion laws to become more strict
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 01, 2021 08:39PM
But those one-third vote solid Republican no matter what.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2021 08:39PM by Speedy.
Re: A University of Texas poll found less than 1/3rd of Texans wanted abortion laws to become more strict
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 01, 2021 08:59PM
And those 2/3 could do a successful recall. But won’t ;
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: September 01, 2021 09:09PM
Of course most Texans don't want this.

Despite the hype, I've found that most Texans are fairly normal people.

They also want kids to wear masks at school and adults to get vaccinated.

And they want people to be able to vote.

I'm sorry they have such looney batguano politicians, they need to vote them out.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: September 01, 2021 09:26PM
Lemon Drop
I'm sorry they have such looney batguano politicians, they need to vote them out.

Republicans have made it difficult for them to be voted out and are hard "at work" making it even more difficult.

Posted by: RgrF
Date: September 02, 2021 12:31AM
Lemon Drop
Of course most Texans don't want this.

Despite the hype, I've found that most Texans are fairly normal people.

They also want kids to wear masks at school and adults to get vaccinated.

And they want people to be able to vote.

The current party primary voting system makes that an almost insurmountable obstacle - one of the real problems with two party politics.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: September 02, 2021 08:36AM
I can see why pubs hold the majority of congressional seats, but how do they hold on to state-wide seats (guv, senate?).

Nobody likes Ted Cruz. I don't see how he beat Beto.

I guess the new anti-voting laws that passed alongside the anti-women laws will ensure the status-quo.
Posted by: pdq
Date: September 02, 2021 09:30AM
The majority of Texans were also opposed to the idea of open carry of any guns without a permit. But as of September 1, if you can buy a gun (which almost everyone can- this is Texas), you can walk down the street waving it around, and no one can do anything about it.

Elections have consequences, and the GOP is currently a crazy far-right-wing looney party, whether people want to recognize it or not.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: September 02, 2021 09:58AM
Great point about the gun laws. Again, tyranny of a minority.

This Trump Court may be a horror show this fall, they're just getting started. I notice nobody jad the courage to sign that wretched majority opinion.

The pain for Texas women got very real yesterday. Clinics did procedures up until midnight Tuesday while patients waited in their cars.

But on Wednesday the majority were expected to be turned away. And there is mass confusion.

This law is clearly unconstitutional. We haven't been in this world since the 70s. It's bizarre.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 02, 2021 01:18PM
Lemon Drop
This Trump Court may be a horror show this fall, they're just getting started. I notice nobody jad the courage to sign that wretched majority opinion.

The pain for Texas women got very real yesterday. Clinics did procedures up until midnight Tuesday while patients waited in their cars.

But on Wednesday the majority were expected to be turned away. And there is mass confusion.

This law is clearly unconstitutional. We haven't been in this world since the 70s. It's bizarre.

I was surprised and disappointed by this ruling - I fully expected that SCOTUS would uphold RvW as decided law.

This is not over, though. Objections to this law will work their way through the courts; the issue will find itself before SCOTUS again.

It is what it is.
Posted by: pdq
Date: September 02, 2021 08:24PM
If this wasn't enough, Texas Republicans have also made it illegal to obtain medical abortions too.

As a novel six-week abortion ban has significantly curtailed abortion care in Texas, another bill, aimed at restricting medication abortion, is set to become law in the state.

The Legislature this week advanced the bill, called Senate Bill 4, which would limit access to medication abortions for many...The measure would prevent physicians from administering it to people who are more than seven weeks pregnant and prohibit the pills from being mailed in Texas.

Again, you can buy any sort of gun pretty much anywhere without any sort of permit in Texas now, and wave that gun around while walking down the street...but you can't obtain an FDA-approved pill in the mail.

People need to wake up, because the mask has come off. This is the real face of Republican politics.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2021 08:24PM by pdq.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: September 03, 2021 08:20AM
As is much too typical, it is poor women who will be most affected by this law. Most middle class and certainly rich women will be able to get the time and resources to go out of state to get an abortion.

Does anyone know of legit non-profit organizations that are helping poor women to get out of state to get an abortion? I would like to contribute money to them. I've done a little digging around and found a couple or organizations that seem to provide that service to poor women but I'm not sure if they use donations wisely:

Fund Texas Choice
Lilith Fund

e pluribus unum
Posted by: Acer
Date: September 03, 2021 08:51AM
pdq
If this wasn't enough, Texas Republicans have also made it illegal to obtain medical abortions too.

As a novel six-week abortion ban has significantly curtailed abortion care in Texas, another bill, aimed at restricting medication abortion, is set to become law in the state.

The Legislature this week advanced the bill, called Senate Bill 4, which would limit access to medication abortions for many...The measure would prevent physicians from administering it to people who are more than seven weeks pregnant and prohibit the pills from being mailed in Texas.

Is THIS the bill that also fully funds prenatal and postpartum medical services for all Texans? That provides full support for child care and Head Start? That makes sure no Texan child goes hungry for any reason? That makes sure immigrants regardless of status can get medical care for their pregnancies and children? Because Texas is 100% pro-life, right?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 73
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020