advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Does everybody see why we need Court reform?
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: September 03, 2021 03:28PM
5 people, late at night, just upended 50 years of settled law. 3 of those appointed by one single term president who never won the popular vote.

This could spread to 15 other states and we could have more than half the women of this country living like it's 1968.

Lives are at risk. Most people in power now are too young to remember what it was like before Roe.

Rights are not forever. And it only takes five people to take them away? That is messed up.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Does everybody see why we need Court reform?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 03, 2021 04:02PM
And the Congress can make a law that puts that right. And that’s what is happening right now.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: September 03, 2021 04:40PM
Hopefully so CBelt, but we still need to expand the court.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: vision63
Date: September 03, 2021 05:25PM
Depends on what "court reform" means.
Posted by: kj
Date: September 03, 2021 05:28PM
Idk, if it was something you wanted you wouldn't be complaining. Same with the electoral college vs popular vote thing. Everyone is always trying to get the upper hand. Everyone. I didn't want to, but since you seem to think "everybody" agrees, I just had to say something.
Posted by: wave rider
Date: September 03, 2021 05:34PM
Texas Republican legislators and the three 45 SCOTUS newcomers are on the same team.

Very much a fixed game…

=wr=
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 03, 2021 08:16PM
changing the court has significant risks. who is to say the next party in power won't 'pack it' again ?

The disease is partisanship in the legal system. And the root cause of that is the abuse of the legal system by political parties. The fact that the US Government spends taxpayer dollars suing.. itself.. is incredibly frustrating.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 03, 2021 11:26PM
Elections matter.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: davester
Date: September 04, 2021 12:59PM
cbelt3
changing the court has significant risks. who is to say the next party in power won't 'pack it' again ?

The disease is partisanship in the legal system. And the root cause of that is the abuse of the legal system by political parties. The fact that the US Government spends taxpayer dollars suing.. itself.. is incredibly frustrating.

No, I don't think so. The court as currently constituted does not reflect the will of the people, is stuck in place for a lifetime, and is accountable to nobody. It's an even worse institution than the highly undemocratic senate (whose disfunction is largely responsible for the SCOTUS disaster), which is saying something. If that doesn't indicate that significant reform is needed, then nothing does.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: vision63
Date: September 04, 2021 01:41PM
davester
cbelt3

No, I don't think so. The court as currently constituted does not reflect the will of the people, is stuck in place for a lifetime, and is accountable to nobody. It's an even worse institution than the highly undemocratic senate (whose disfunction is largely responsible for the SCOTUS disaster), which is saying something. If that doesn't indicate that significant reform is needed, then nothing does.

If progressives voted for Hillary Clinton instead of the Green Party and white women voted like Black women, this wouldn't even be a post.

Elections matter more than anything.

Even an expanded court can be stuffed with deplorables if Republicans get a 12 year run like they did during the Reagan/Bush years.
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: September 04, 2021 01:43PM
davester
...does not reflect the will of the people...
well - I would hope that the Courts use first the Constitution, then enacted laws as their guidance, rather than what the current popular opinion polls happen to show at the time.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: September 04, 2021 06:25PM
Court reform is not primarily about adding justices, tho IMO there should bes at least 6 more. Added incrementally, not by one president. People get hung up on that when they hear "court reform" and it is far more complex than that. .

The issue with this Texas case, as well as a few other cases before it, is the shadow docket. This means decisions are issued in haste, without benefit of hearing what lower courts had to say, and without complete explanations of the court's thinking.

The Senate judiciary Committee just announced they are looking at that.

Term limits and mandatory retirement age are another idea, tho difficult to implement because no president wants their own justices term limited.

I also think there should be a limit on how long the Senate can wait to fill a spot, to avoid the Merritt Garland fiasco, and on the number of vacancies one president can fill.
Posted by: davester
Date: September 04, 2021 06:38PM
SDGuy
davester
...does not reflect the will of the people...
well - I would hope that the Courts use first the Constitution, then enacted laws as their guidance, rather than what the current popular opinion polls happen to show at the time.

Well they sure aren't doing that right now.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 05, 2021 05:30PM
No, what we need is reform in the Senate that bans the filibuster over the vote for any bill defending of the core of the Constitution. The filibuster is NOT in the Constitution but it’s being used as if it were.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2021 05:30PM by sekker.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: September 05, 2021 10:49PM
The Senate is a club, run by it's members for it's members. It has virtually no connection with the commonweal.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 126
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020