advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Is it my imagination, or is Fb packed to the gills with rabid right-wing nut jobs?
Posted by: PeterB
Date: September 04, 2021 01:59PM
I saw a post on Fb about Biden's visit to my state yesterday.

The responses/comments were insane. It seems the vast majority were pejorative, hate-filled spews against him and anyone saying anything positive about him; in some cases the attacks being extremely personal and vindictive. I'd say the derogatory, nasty stuff outweighed the positive by a ratio of about 2 or 3:1.

I know not everyone is happy with his handling of the Afghanistan situation (that seemed to come up over and over again in the comments, even though it wasn't relevant to his visiting my state), but the venom and vitriol I was seeing was beyond anything I'd have expected.

Is this really representative of how people feel about him? Is it that social media is giving them an outlet to say whatever's on their mind, things they'd never dream of saying to someone's face?

I sure hope so, otherwise this country is doomed.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Is it my imagination, or is Fb packed to the gills with rabid right-wing nut jobs?
Posted by: Ted King
Date: September 04, 2021 02:18PM
Tribalism where the Trumplican tribe feels like they at war against the libs.

e pluribus unum
Re: Is it my imagination, or is Fb packed to the gills with rabid right-wing nut jobs?
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: September 04, 2021 02:43PM
Not just FB, YouTube is awash with the loonies (or are they bots?).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2021 02:45PM by DeusxMac.
Posted by: abevilac
Date: September 04, 2021 03:09PM
I’ve thought that too. My NextDoor website also has its pockets of hate. I can only imagine what it’s like at the right wing exclusive sites.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: September 04, 2021 03:09PM
OTOH, Twitter is full of Leftie Cancel Culture Warriors. I've no need for any of them.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 04, 2021 03:14PM
I'm sure it has to do with who your facebook friends are and who facebook thinks you are. I held out for a long time before unfriending or hiding offensive comments but eventually gave in when it was too tempting to engage.

Anyway, this is why Facebook is having political problems - the left sees misinformation as a problem and the right thinks FB discriminates against them.

Its hard for me to feel too much sympathy for them.

Posted by: Steve G.
Date: September 04, 2021 03:58PM
I think part of the problem is the meager powder puff plea deals they are making with the January 6 Capitol traitors. It's only encouraging them.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: September 04, 2021 04:11PM
When your side is bereft of worthy ideas, throw alarmist feces around. FB gets 6 times more clicks from B.S. posts from conservatives.

[www.washingtonpost.com]
Posted by: Racer X
Date: September 04, 2021 05:23PM
I have never had a FB account, and I never will.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: davester
Date: September 04, 2021 06:29PM
My FB account is full of interesting and thoughtful people, mostly from the liberal side of the spectrum, but a few right leaning. As long as you treat folks with respect you'll generally get respect back. An occasional nut job sneaks in but I practice one strike and you're out with those people. You have complete control of your facebook feed if you want it..

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: September 04, 2021 07:05PM
davester
My FB account is full of interesting and thoughtful people, mostly from the liberal side of the spectrum, but a few right leaning. As long as you treat folks with respect you'll generally get respect back. An occasional nut job sneaks in but I practice one strike and you're out with those people. You have complete control of your facebook feed if you want it..

Somehow my point didn't get across. We're talking about a post made by Joe Biden on his OWN Fb account, where virtually every post he's made is getting attacks from the right-wing nut jobs. So it's not a matter of controlling my feed -- this is a publicly visible account, viewable by anybody. Anyone looking at these posts and responses would say (just from superficial impressions) that Biden is one of the most unpopular presidents so far.

Posted by: vision63
Date: September 04, 2021 07:38PM
Facebook feeds you what you eat. Your curiosity is driving it to you.
Date: September 04, 2021 08:24PM
vision63

? Huh? Are you suggesting that Fb doesn't accurately count, for example, the reactions of everyone to a particular post? Or that it only shows some responses to a post and not others, based on what it thinks might be inflammatory to a particular group or person?

Posted by: vision63
Date: September 04, 2021 09:04PM
PeterB
vision63

? Huh? Are you suggesting that Fb doesn't accurately count, for example, the reactions of everyone to a particular post? Or that it only shows some responses to a post and not others, based on what it thinks might be inflammatory to a particular group or person?

No, they do. They "very" accurately use a bunch of data points/interactions to populate our feeds.
Date: September 04, 2021 09:27PM
I never see posts from “Joe Biden.” I sometimes see posts from a former state senatorial candidate who swam against the insurmountable Republican tide. She’s a good egg. The only political comments I might see regarding news might come from one or two FB friends I haven’t purged.

Mostly it’s FB Marketplace and nothing else.
Posted by: davester
Date: September 04, 2021 10:14PM
PeterB
We're talking about a post made by Joe Biden on his OWN Fb account, where virtually every post he's made is getting attacks from the right-wing nut jobs. So it's not a matter of controlling my feed -- this is a publicly visible account, viewable by anybody.

Ah. Theres your problem right there. Don't look at those kind of posts, or at least don't look at any responses to them.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: $tevie
Date: September 04, 2021 10:43PM
People love to attack politicians on their social media feed. Back when Trump was still on Twitter, nearly all the responses to his tweets were from people who opposed him and wanted to tell him off.

My Democratic Senators get a raft on every post they make, most of them from people who don't even live in Maryland. And Ted Cruz and Josh Haley get the same treatment from their opponents.

Both sides of the aisle have a multitude of people with nothing better to do than go to the pages of the people they hate and make rude remarks.

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 05, 2021 08:50AM
Choose your network wisely. I’ve defriended people I’ve known since college over their rampant politicization.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: September 05, 2021 09:45AM
I mostly agree with v63. If one is getting swivel-eyed posts, you (or friend/relative/someone you closely follow) have developed a profile to show you have some interest in them. It might only be because you tried to edumacate them on Covid/foreign policy.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: September 05, 2021 10:01AM
davester
PeterB
We're talking about a post made by Joe Biden on his OWN Fb account, where virtually every post he's made is getting attacks from the right-wing nut jobs. So it's not a matter of controlling my feed -- this is a publicly visible account, viewable by anybody.

Ah. Theres your problem right there. Don't look at those kind of posts, or at least don't look at any responses to them.

Don't look at posts made by Joe Biden?

Every single post he makes is getting trolled by these people.

I agree that it's not worth reading the responses... if this is what we're going to see.

Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: September 05, 2021 10:07AM
And then there’s also the factor of there being a ton of organized state and other bad actor groups out there methodically seeking to troll and stir the pot wearing the masks of both sides. It does seems the far right has more of a tendency to take the bait/drink the tainted Kool-Aid.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
As of July 16, 2022, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is now available by simply dialing 988. The previous number, 1-800-273-8255, will remain active.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Date: September 05, 2021 11:00AM
PeterB

Don't look at posts made by Joe Biden? ...

Yeah why bother, when there are credible news sources, and/or press conferences. I really don't understand why any politicians need to be on social media other than it helps them and hurts everyone else.
Posted by: hal
Date: September 05, 2021 12:40PM
I consider a politician's FB post to be similar to a PR Newswire post - it's just PR. If there was anything newsworthy said in it, I'd hear about it. And I couldn't care less about what crazy people I've never met have to say about anything. When I see a crazy person ranting on a street corner, I keep walking.
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 05, 2021 05:28PM
I have family that are fine in-person but go crazy due to what they read on facebook.

I am no longer on FB, and I cannot spend time with those family members. It’s as if they’ve been radicalized.
Date: September 05, 2021 05:44PM
I have one Fb friend who I do consider a decent human being deep down, but who I think has really been brainwashed -- as have many down here. She is posting stuff along the lines that Biden needs to be recalled, that he's the worst President in history (frequently being unfavorably compared to Jimmy Carter), and that we didn't want him to come here to visit in LA. I just try to do my best to ignore whatever she posts. (I could mute her posts, but in her case, I would want to at least hear the other side, even if I don't agree with it.)

Posted by: Ted King
Date: September 05, 2021 10:13PM
I have a FB page but it is as restricted as I can make it and I never post anything on it. I only have it so that I can go to a family FB page for my siblings and their clans. We kind of fell into leaving religion and politics out of our exchanges there, fortunately. Lots of sharing of pictures and videos of family members and some of the highlights of their doings. We are scattered over half the U.S. so it's a nice way to keep in touch. Without that I'd be out of FB.

e pluribus unum
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 117
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020