advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
The new refugees, women fleeing Texas
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: September 05, 2021 06:50AM
Afghanistan is not the only place where we have, right now, women trying desperately to flee a backwards, woman-hating regime.

It won't be possible to help all of these women out of state. Some will seek illegal help or self-induce, and like pre-Roe days, some will die.

“Texas is essentially a pre-Roe world now.”

The distance to the nearest clinic is only one of the problems that Texas patients now face, said Alan Braid, the owner and medical director of Alamo Women’s Reproductive Services in San Antonio. Many patients are already mothers, and cannot leave their jobs or their children for the length of time needed to access care in another state. Some are undocumented and cannot travel with ease.

“It sounds very easy — oh well, you can’t get it in Texas, just go to Oklahoma, New Mexico. But the people that we see — that hourly wage patient, the single mom, the people that don’t have the means to travel — it’s impossible for them,” he said. “That’s like saying well, just hop on a plane and, you know, go to France. It’s beautiful there, you can get an abortion and then take a walk down the Champs-Élysées.”

Braid, who has been providing abortion care in Texas since he began his OB/GYN internship in 1972, said this was the worst climate he had ever seen for reproductive rights in Texas since before Roe v. Wade. The new law, with its vigilante-enforcement scheme, is spreading fear and distrust. “You can feel it in the room,” he said. “It hangs heavy.” As a provider, he said, he is usually optimistic that he can support his patients and meet their needs. “Now, when I walk in the room, I have huge doubts about whether I’m going to be able to help,” he said. “I’m not used to that.”

He expressed deep concern about what patients will do to obtain abortions if they can’t get one inside Texas when they need it. He still has a powerful memory of three teenagers dying from septic shock and organ failure after obtaining back-alley abortions back when he was an intern in 1972.

“That’s where we’re headed,” he said. “I promise you that people are going to cross the border to Mexico. They’re going to self-induce.”

[nymag.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: The new refugees, women fleeing Texas
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: September 05, 2021 01:13PM

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: samintx
Date: September 05, 2021 01:28PM
Bounty hunters. Wonder if that famous repo TV star, the Dog?, will come out with a comment.

How many times have you made a citizens arrest for unlawful acts you have seen committed? For $10,000 you might startRollingEyesSmiley5.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2021 01:30PM by samintx.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: September 05, 2021 04:15PM
I wonder how this will go over with all those “liberal”, college educated techies whose companies/divisions have relocated to Texas?
Posted by: hal
Date: September 05, 2021 04:19PM
I wonder how this will go over with all of the Corps that are HQ'd in Texas - there are many. Smaller states have been pressured to back down on some of these over-reaches, but is Texas too big to fail?
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: September 05, 2021 04:49PM
Corporations are silent so far, including those that are usually quick to weigh in with support for progressive issues.

Based on what I've read there are two main reasons: they are afraid of this controversy because so many people are anti-abortion, and they were caught off guard. Many folks expected the courts to block this as they have in every other state that tried a heartbeat law.

This law is so absurd and dangerous, it is hard to see how SCOTUS let it stand, even temporarily.

[www.nytimes.com]
Posted by: Michael
Date: September 07, 2021 08:38AM
The Texas law is going to get overturned when it makes it to the Supreme Court following the first citizen suing an abortion clinic. The Texas abortion law will get tossed because the citizen doesn't have standing. Even the conservative justices require standing and narrowed it in TransUnion v. Ramirez earlier this year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2021 08:39AM by Michael.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 07, 2021 01:00PM
The Texas law is going to get overturned when it makes it to the Supreme Court following the first citizen suing an abortion clinic.

I really, really hope you're correct.

The Republican-heavy SCOTUS did surprise me on a ruling, so I see the possibility for your scenario playing out.

But confidence is not high.

The real problem is what might happen to women, friends, and family (and the kindness of strangers) who 'aid and abet' a woman seeking an abortion, and even worse women, friends, and family (and the kindness of strangers) who are merely perceived to seek, aid, abet, etc.

There is huge potential for financial and legal carnage for any of the above, and as I understand it, no actual accountability for an overzealous vagilanti, coupled with a huge potential payday.

So if you're right, and I hope you are, it can't happen too soon, and probably won't happen soon enough.

Otherwise TX women may as well start wearing red robes and white bonnets.

(Although that might make an interesting protest statement.)

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: TheCaber
Date: September 07, 2021 02:00PM
The Handmaid's Tale was a documentary.

=TC
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 07, 2021 07:11PM
TheCaber
The Handmaid's Tale was a documentary.

Or a prediction.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Janit
Date: September 08, 2021 06:58AM
Maybe Mexico will let them in.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 139
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020