advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
how's covid where you are?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 08, 2021 10:15AM
our covid rate is high...too high for comfort even if its not as high as elsewhere. Hospitals have space but not a lot. We didn't spike real hard but we've had sustained 20% week over week growth over more than a month. School is just starting so I suspect we'll have a couple more weeks until numbers start to go back down.

I bought more masks for my kids. I should have realized sooner that they're going to spend their full day wearing masks. When you wear them all day they become another article of clothing. I managed to pick up some nice ones but it might be difficult to get more from the seller as a ton of people need more masks for their kids.

I wonder how many surges we're going to be in for.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: how's covid where you are?
Posted by: p8712
Date: September 08, 2021 11:18AM
FL. Nearly impossible to find a testing site, so people will test with storebought kits, which don't add to the numbers. They slowed down the testing, and surprise, the numbers went down! This is one of the worst places on earth. Avoid. My ICU's full. Unvaxxed. People with legitimate other med concerns are paying the price for other people's stupidity.

Mask wearing is up, maybe 60%. Everyone acts like COVID is over and you're the crazy one.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: September 08, 2021 11:35AM
Just about the worst in the state, 48% higher than the previous all time peak in Jan, 2021. My first guess would be it's because of all the loonies gathering to protest sensible restrictions at the capitol. Most of this county is blue but 20 miles South is one of the reddest. It first started down the slippery slope after Labor Day 2020.

The State health site has been pruning stats from the site. Not sure if it's a lack of locations reporting, lack of testing sites, or not enough people working on posting info. State says county ICU's are 89% full. Numbers imply only 36% are Covid related. One local news segment said people were waiting to be admitted. It could depend on which hospital people go to.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: rgG
Date: September 08, 2021 11:36AM
Mask wearing is up here, thankfully, but GA is a definite hot spot.
Our numbers are just slightly below the highest peak we had in January. sad smiley
Hospitals are very, very full. Some have been sending ambulances to other facilities, if any are available.
What worries me is needing to go the the hospital for something serious that isn’t Covid, like my husband had to just before Xmas last year.

Georgia - September 07
Cases (last 2 weeks): 93,656
Cases per 100k (last 2 weeks): 865
Cases (total): 1,134,891
Cases per 100k (total): 10,476
Population: 10,833,472

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: September 08, 2021 11:43AM
One local large hospital system in my upstate SC city has announced that it is on the verge of turning away patients, because they are at or above capacity due to the number of COVID-19 patients.

Non-mask wearers at local stores make up about 50% of customers.
One Walmart employee who works at the entrance of the store told me customers get in her face and threaten her because she is wearing a mask.

We are a broken society full of angry, misinformed, conspiracy minded people who are the victims of a far-right propaganda machine that is turning a lunatic fantasy into reality for tens of millions of people.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: September 08, 2021 11:49AM
S. Pupp

One Walmart employee who works at the entrance of the store told me customers get in her face and threaten her because she is wearing a mask.

I guess freedom to not be hassled about it only matters if you don't choose to wear a mask - no freedom from harassment if you choose to wear a mask. Freedumb!!

e pluribus unum
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: September 08, 2021 11:55AM
Also Upstate SC. As of Friday we had the highest per capita case rate on the planet. Children and teachers are dying. I'm going to an outdoor graveside funeral in a mask about once a week.

Districts going back to virtual learning or closing down completely for weeks because so many kids are in quarantine.

And our governor, Foghorn Leghorn, won't allow schools to mandate masks. Or vaccines.

Happy Wednesday!
Posted by: Acer
Date: September 08, 2021 12:18PM
Here in PA, the most populous counties (Containing Pittsburgh, Philly, Erie, Harrisburg) are moderately affected, relatively speaking. There seems to be no big talk about full hospitals, for example. Mask compliance is pretty good but not as good as it was this winter. Many of the more rural counties where COVID is considered a liberal hoax are spiking.

Posted by: p8712
Date: September 08, 2021 12:35PM

Around here they drive around in TRUMP pickup trucks and yell at children on the playground to take of their masks. Happens all the time.

Hospital infographics which show what you already know about vaccination.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 08, 2021 01:30PM
Alameda County CA

Reported cases: 113,229
7-day average: 244.7
14-day change: -44.4%

Deaths: 1,301
7-day average: 0.6
14-day change: -33.3%

Residents at least partially vaccinated: 75%

So, better than some, worse than others, noting that others have it much worse then I.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: samintx
Date: September 08, 2021 01:39PM
Texas is doing a super job of keeping the virus alive and spreading. Hats off to Tx for the virus, no masks and great legislation. Hello 1800s.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2021 01:40PM by samintx.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: September 08, 2021 02:23PM
The Johns Hopkins Covid tracking web site is VERY informative.

[coronavirus.jhu.edu]
Posted by: Ammo
Date: September 08, 2021 02:59PM
The situation is pretty decent in Minnesota compared to most - 4th lowest rate of daily Covid cases in the U.S. at the moment. We are very fortunate to have a Democratic Govenor (Tim Walz), who has worked hard to mitigate the impact of Covid. Walz has worked closely with our wonderful state Health Commissioner, whom the Republican State Legislature is threatening to fire in retaliation for the Govenor’s work.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2021 05:03PM by Ammo.
Posted by: Z
Date: September 08, 2021 03:19PM
Alaska and Anchorage are both crapfests with the medical community begging for some help and both the governor and the Anchorage mayor more concerned about a 10c fee for plastic bags coming back into effect in Anchorage.

Uttered by the Mayor in an interview yesterday:

Alaska Public Transcript
Dave Bronson: Well, again, I keep coming back to the science of this. I’m a data-driven guy. I’ve always been that way.
[ZNarrators Note: He is not a data driven guy]
And, I know what a lot of people say, and it’s like their last-ditch, ‘Well, we have to do something.’ And we even hear this from national leaders, ‘We have to do something.’ There’s no study that says masking really works, because they’re not being worn correctly. Masks work in hospitals because those people wear N-95s. And two, they know how to wear them and they wear them properly. So in hospitals, it is helpful. But in public, people are touching their masks, and hanging their masks on their car mirror, they’re not handling masks correctly. And that actually, many people believe that it contributes to the spread of COVID because you’re touching your face very often.

[twitter.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2021 03:48PM by Z.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 08, 2021 05:32PM
p8712
FL. Nearly impossible to find a testing site, so people will test with storebought kits, which don't add to the numbers.

My sister, an RN in Atlanta, tested positive a few days ago using a home test. We were surprised it took her this long to contract the disease - she's been on the frontline since the beginning. I am extremely grateful she got vaccinated months ago.

It is what it is.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 08, 2021 05:33PM
S. Pupp
We are a broken society full of angry, misinformed, conspiracy minded people who are the victims of a far-right propaganda machine that is turning a lunatic fantasy into reality for tens of millions of people.

This is the best description of life in America today I've yet come across. I may steal this for use elsewhere.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: September 08, 2021 08:56PM
samintx
Texas is doing a super job of keeping the virus alive and spreading. Hats off to Tx for the virus, no masks and great legislation. Hello 1800s.

As a Texan, I resemble that comment!

It is unfortunately 100% correct!
[www.mayoclinic.org]

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: testcase
Date: September 08, 2021 09:59PM
Several days ago, national news "outed" TN as the state with the HIGHEST COVID rates in the country. I'm in an out of the way corner of TN and, rarely go out (~ once a week to resupply) and of course, WEAR A MASK the few times I have to be out of my RV. I DO take heart as I know several other states are fighting mightily to bump TN out of the top position.

My domicile state is SD where, after the recent Sturgis Motorcycle Rally, COVID rates are up OVER 700% (I haven't been to SD in two years now).

I AM "FULLY" vaccinated (two Moderna doses) and, just got my 2021 Flu shot this afternoon. Whoopee!

sad smiley
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 08, 2021 10:14PM
The area where I live is in Minnesota’s 6th District, the most conservative district (out of eight) in the state and the least vaccinated.

Until the last election or so, all the state senators and representatives in the entire district were Republicans. Now my senate district has a Democrat in the state senate and one of the two house members in the senate district is also a Democrat. Our prior state senator died of COVID45 before his term ended but after he was defeated this past November. He probably became infected at a Republican legislative confab where no one was masked.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: September 09, 2021 11:03AM
Cases are ramping up quite a bit on my rural county within the last week. This is staunchly Republican territory, but not antagonistic because when everyone thinks alike there are no disagreements nor reasons to make news headlines, right?

Gonna get far worse before it gets better. I don’t know the vax rate here but like most semi-isolated areas, things happen in a reactionary manner, not a preventative one.
Posted by: steve...
Date: September 09, 2021 11:26AM
My little county (population 28k) is reportedly the worst in CA. The Walmart store here employs 277 people and last week, 150 were out sick or quarantined. 51% are fully or partially vaccinated.

sad smiley

Northern California Coast
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: September 09, 2021 11:41AM
It's worse than last Winter.

My wife got a call yesterday from a friend of one of a cattle buyer informing us that the buyer had died of Covid. He's been buying from our son for a number of years. He had beat colon cancer for now and only had one more treatment to go and contracted Covid. My wife talked to him just two weeks ago and he said he had tried to mow his yard but got winded and had to stop. Wife figured the cancer and chemo had drug down but it was the beginning of Covid. He spent 5 days in Baptist hospital on a vent but didn't pull through, he was about 58 or 59 yo. We have come to know a lot of our son's customers, really good people. This guy thought he was on the right track and had even recently bought a new loader tractor for his farm. Not sure if he was vaxxed or not but I figure the chemo had messed his immune system up regardless. That makes a total of 9 people I personally know of or acquainted with that have died from this @#$%&. Just remember it's no worse than the flu, SMH.

Grateful11
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: September 09, 2021 11:45AM
It's worse than last Winter.

My wife got a call yesterday from a friend of one of a cattle buyer informing us that the buyer had died of Covid. He's been buying from our son for a number of years. He had beat colon cancer for now and only had one more treatment to go and contracted Covid. My wife talked to him just two weeks ago and he said he had tried to mow his yard but got winded and had to stop. Wife figured the cancer and chemo had drug down but it was the beginning of Covid. He spent 5 days in Baptist hospital on a vent but didn't pull through, he was about 58 or 59 yo. We have come to know a lot of our son's customers, really good people. This guy thought he was on the right track and had even recently bought a new loader tractor for his farm. Not sure if he was vaxxed or not but I figure the chemo had messed his immune system up regardless. That makes a total of 9 people I personally know of or acquainted with that have died from this @#$%&. Just remember it's no worse than the flu, SMH.

Grateful11

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2021 11:45AM by Grateful11.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 119
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020