advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Afghan women to be banned from playing sport, Taliban say
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: September 08, 2021 01:41PM
Of course, in enlightened Saudi Arabia, women were given permission to drive a car...in 2018.

Afghan women to be banned from playing sport, Taliban say
[www.theguardian.com]
Afghan women, including the country’s women’s cricket team, will be banned from playing sport under the new Taliban government, according to an official in the hardline Islamist group.

In an interview with the Australian broadcaster SBS, the deputy head of the Taliban’s cultural commission, Ahmadullah Wasiq, said women’s sport was considered neither appropriate nor necessary.

“I don’t think women will be allowed to play cricket because it is not necessary that women should play cricket,” Wasiq said. “In cricket, they might face a situation where their face and body will not be covered. Islam does not allow women to be seen like this.

“It is the media era, and there will be photos and videos, and then people watch it. Islam and the Islamic Emirate [Afghanistan] do not allow women to play cricket or play the kind of sports where they get exposed.”
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Afghan women to be banned from playing sport, Taliban say
Posted by: AllGold
Date: September 08, 2021 01:48PM
Steve G.
Islam does not allow women to be seen like this.

Then Islam is a @#$%& up religion--or at least has a @#$%& up interpretation.

Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: September 08, 2021 01:58PM
women’s sport was considered neither appropriate nor necessary

Just as unnecessary as men's.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 08, 2021 01:59PM
AllGold
or at least has a @#$%& up interpretation.

I'm going to go with this option. In this regard Christianity is no different, at least based on some peoples interpretation.

Posted by: rgG
Date: September 08, 2021 02:01PM
AllGold
Steve G.
Islam does not allow women to be seen like this.

Then Islam is a @#$%& up religion--or at least has a @#$%& up interpretation.

It’s all in the interpretation and the idea among religions that they are static, never changing for eternity.
It isnt just Islam, but they are trying hard to win the prize.
These men who oppress women like this, I have no words, well no words the forum software will allow.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: timg
Date: September 08, 2021 03:11PM
These fundamentalist countries will be stuck in the "stone age" for as long as they oppress half of their population.

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: September 08, 2021 03:29PM
timg
These fundamentalist countries will be stuck in the "stone age" for as long as they oppress half of their population.

Sounds good, but Saudi Arabia, Qatar and others might still be considered to be on the “fundamentalist” side, and they’re far from being “stone age”,
Date: September 08, 2021 03:58PM
DeusxMac
timg

Sounds good, but Saudi Arabia, Qatar and others might still be considered to be on the “fundamentalist” side, and they’re far from being “stone age”,

Really? What do they produce that is of any value outside of petroleum?

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Posted by: davester
Date: September 08, 2021 04:31PM
timg
DeusxMac
timg

I agree. They are a backwards amalgamation of tribes who lucked into a ton of money by virtue of their happening to be sitting on top of the worlds' biggest oil fields.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: September 08, 2021 08:43PM
timg

That's quite sufficient to NOT be in "the stone age"!
- Qatar Per capita income = $66,202
- U.S. Per capita income = $68,309

davester
I agree. They are a backwards amalgamation of tribes who lucked into a ton of money by virtue of their happening to be sitting on top of the worlds' biggest oil fields.

We spent an overnight in the Doha, Qatar airport, and by no stretch of the imagination is that "stone age"!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2021 08:47PM by DeusxMac.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 09, 2021 07:49AM
There are many fundamentalist Christians who are obviously not in the stone age, right here in River City and believe that deviations of the bible, such as acknowledging the existence of a Pope and existence of Purgatory (outside of Main and Rhode Island) is interpreting the Bible, and contend that no interpretation is required.

I don't agree, but then I don't agree with a very large percentage of religious precepts, tenets, beliefs etc.

That I believe in the freedom of religion doesn't preclude me from believing in freedom from religion, especially an oppressed one that actually literally controls one's life.

That's not the same as admitting one to a church under the terms of agreeing to precepts, tenets, beliefs etc or leave.

But that gets into a whole discussion of religion and The Handmaid's Tale that I chose to avoid.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: September 09, 2021 11:24AM
OK, first off, I was referring to their thinking/mentality as stone age, not their living conditions and creature comforts.

Secondly, I have the same issues with other fundamentalists. If you have such a narrow view of the world, you can't advance it into the future. these people live in the past and are not contributing to the future of the human race.

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: September 09, 2021 12:51PM
Saudis are living a lie. Listen to this if you have 15 minutes.

[youtu.be]

(And any Saudis I've known believe the religious police about as much as Romans believe the Pope.)
Posted by: davester
Date: September 09, 2021 10:29PM
DeusxMac

We spent an overnight in the Doha, Qatar airport, and by no stretch of the imagination is that "stone age"!

That's a display of oil wealth spent on massive amounts of western technology erected via slave labor.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: September 10, 2021 09:19AM
davester
DeusxMac

That's a display of oil wealth spent on massive amounts of western technology erected via slave labor.

THOSE buildings aren't being built by "slave labor".

My point was NOT that these countries aren't oppressive, it was that if Afghanistan is "stone age", these countries are most definitely not like Afghanistan. They are oppressively MODERN; in many ways 21st Century "modern".
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 118
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020