advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Just Say It: The Health Care System Has Collapsed
Posted by: p8712
Date: September 08, 2021 04:38PM
The healthcare sysytem has collapsed

Daniel Wilkinson, a 46-year-old veteran who served two deployments in Afghanistan, presented to a community hospital a few doors down from his home in Bellville, Texas, a small town on the outskirts of Houston. He was feeling sick and was ultimately diagnosed with gallstone pancreatitis.

In countries with modern health systems, gallstone pancreatitis is a dangerous but highly treatable diagnosis—often requiring an emergency interventional procedure that can be done at most large referral hospitals (including many in the Houston area), followed by a short ICU stay. But with the COVID-19 pandemic raging throughout Texas and much of the larger region, finding an ICU bed these days is no small task. Wilkinson was forced to wait more than seven hours before a bed finally opened at a VA hospital in Houston. But by then, gas pockets had started to form inside Wilkinson’s pancreas, suggesting that the failing organ was spreading an infection throughout his body. After waiting too long to have that procedure done, Daniel Wilkinson died.

For a year or so, we’ve been told repeatedly that the American health system has been on the brink of collapse. In the past month, this phrase has been used to describe the plight of hospitals in Oklahoma, Louisiana, Alabama, and Alaska; last winter, it was used to describe health systems in California and Idaho. Mississippi’s health care system, in a recent New Yorker essay, was observed to be approaching statewide failure, while in a Politico headline at the start of the pandemic, hospitals in New York were quickly reaching a breaking point. Descriptions of health systems at the very limit of functionality rank among other COVID clichés like new normal and in these trying times.

But to say that our health care system is on the brink of collapse is to sugarcoat it. The story of a veteran dying near a city known for having some of the best hospitals in the world—and from a very treatable ailment—illustrates that our health system has already collapsed.

To say that we’re on the brink of disaster offers hope that the people in charge can take steps to keep us from plunging toward an abyss. It suggests that the situation is at least temporarily sustainable, that maybe you can keep hunkering down and doing what you’ve been doing, and everything will be fine. But it is not sustainable, and it is not fine. The health care system is not approaching some kind of cliff, while still functioning—what is happening right now is killing people like Daniel Wilkinson. People who do not have to die are dying.

I've had a gallbladder attack, but no associated pancreatitis. Easy the worst pain I've ever felt, unable to be fixed by positional change (every 30 seconds). I didn't go to the ER, but I did have surgery a few months later. This man died horribly, and there's so many more.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2021 04:39PM by p8712.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Just Say It: The Health Care System Has Collapsed
Posted by: rgG
Date: September 08, 2021 05:15PM
p8712

I've had a gallbladder attack, but no associated pancreatitis. Easy the worst pain I've ever felt, unable to be fixed by positional change (every 30 seconds). I didn't go to the ER, but I did have surgery a few months later. This man died horribly, and there's so many more.

This story is my greatest fear and why I am so mad at the anti-vax anti-mask idiots. Other people die because of their selfish stupid actions.
I had gall bladder disease in my 30’s and it was as bad or worse than childbirth pain. My gall bladder was removed a short time later.
One of the big Atlanta hospitals just announced today that they are cancelling all non-essential surgery because of all the COVID cases in the hospital. sad smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Ted King
Date: September 08, 2021 05:16PM
Another thing that will never be spoken of on Fox "News".

e pluribus unum
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: September 08, 2021 05:32PM
It took months to get my wife's breast cancer removed because of restrictions on "elective surgery." We're lucky in that she's now essentially cured, but the several months of delay between diagnosis and double mastectomy could have resulted in a bad outcome.
Posted by: rgG
Date: September 08, 2021 05:49PM
S. Pupp
It took months to get my wife's breast cancer removed because of restrictions on "elective surgery." We're lucky in that she's now essentially cured, but the several months of delay between diagnosis and double mastectomy could have resulted in a bad outcome.

My mom has a good friend who had to wait months to get a very needed pacemaker implanted.
I don’t really see cancer surgery or having a pacemaker implanted as elective. Can a patient wait, maybe, but should they?

I can almost go to a pretty dark place about rationing care to the voluntarily unvaccinated.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Marc Anthony
Date: September 08, 2021 05:58PM
There is certainly over-utilization by a recalcitrant segment of our society. A major hospital just outside my County has a large billboard indicating that 93% of their current ICU population are unvaccinated. A way to ease the load might be shifting more of the monetary burden onto these people through an unnecessary emergency care monopolization fee.

Le poète doit vivre beaucoup, vivre dans tous les sens. - Verlaine
Posted by: Diana
Date: September 08, 2021 06:02PM
rgG
p8712

This story is my greatest fear and why I am so mad at the anti-vax anti-mask idiots. Other people die because of their selfish stupid actions.
I had gall bladder disease in my 30’s and it was as bad or worse than childbirth pain. My gall bladder was removed a short time later.
One of the big Atlanta hospitals just announced today that they are cancelling all non-essential surgery because of all the COVID cases in the hospital. sad smiley

And so it goes again: round 2 (at least). Hospitals in Oklahoma stopped doing nonessential (I.e., elective) surgery this past winter/spring when COVID cases were so high. Elective surgeries have since started again, to some extent. We are now approaching the levels of infection we saw then, and in some places around the country have exceeded those levels. We will never again go into lockdown; the levels seen at that time were a cakewalk compared to what has followed. There will be more who die from treatable conditions, all because someone decided that it was too much trouble to do what was needed, from the legislative bodies to the general populace. It’s infuriating but not unexpected.

I am in need of a patellofemoral knee replacement, otherwise known as a partial knee replacement. For those that aren’t familiar with the condition, the kneecap rubs bone-to-bone with one of the bones in the knee; there is substantial erosion of the kneecap, and growth of bone spur as well. Instead of the kneecap gliding between the knobs of the bone as it’s supposed to, it is displaced to one side and rubs across the outer side of the joint. Walking can be, shall we say… difficult … and painful. Sleeping can be difficult as well. It isn’t nearly as painful as what others have described with their respective conditions and certainly not as bad as the gentleman in the original story, but I will have to put up with it for possibly another year. All because somebody else couldn’t be troubled with doing what is needed.
Posted by: p8712
Date: September 08, 2021 06:13PM
Marc Anthony
There is certainly over-utilization by a recalcitrant segment of our society. A major hospital just outside my County has a large billboard indicating that 93% of their current ICU population are unvaccinated. A way to ease the load might be shifting more of the monetary burden onto these people through an unnecessary emergency care monopolization fee.
"But Not 100% so the vaccine doesn't work!" - Zero sum/all or nothing thinking, All.The.Time.

All because somebody else couldn’t be troubled with doing what is needed.

I mean, we'd have mostly bean it by May 2020, with localized outbreak now and then, if people did the right thing.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 08, 2021 06:50PM
If someone with an unpreventable condition needs an ICU bed, take it from someone who chose not to take a simple precaution against a preventable condition.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: September 08, 2021 07:04PM
Ombligo
If someone with an unpreventable condition needs an ICU bed, take it from someone who chose not to take a simple precaution against a preventable condition.

Perfect sentiment for a bumper sticker, but maybe a bit too long....

Let's see, how 'bout;

"DON'T BOGART MY ICU BED,
YOU SELFISH, UNVACCINATED ASSHOLE!"

==
Posted by: wave rider
Date: September 08, 2021 08:47PM
Read on FB that friend from a former workplace had a hard time being seen by a doctor last year due to the Covid. Turns out it was brain cancer. He has had surgery which didn’t get all the tumor and has done radiation.

And now another friend has set up a gofundme page to help pay for his daily care.

This leaves me sad and angry. Dennis is a good dude…

=wr=
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 09, 2021 07:07AM
The healthcare system hasn't just collapsed, it was practically sabotaged.

While that may not have been the intent of Repub anti-vaxxers, it's certainly a direct result of actively avoiding and decrying vaccination.

In the name of triage, and providing the best medical care for those best able to benefit by it, I hate to say that I'm in agreement, much like giving donor organs to those best qualified to benefit and not abuse them.

But the 'how could you!' pushback of such an action would be considerable.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 09, 2021 07:55AM
I know my sentiment would never work because lawyers UNLESS the governments mandated it giving medical doctors/hospitals immunity from lawsuits - we all know that won't occur, so it was just wishful thinking

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: Mr645
Date: September 14, 2021 04:52PM
The current leadership has failed to support the healthcare system and allowed COVID to grow and spread. We had COVID virtually under control, vaccines rolling out enmasse and now we have a weak leader that can't keep the nation moving forward. And it's not anti vaxxers, it's minorities and immigrants with very low vaccine penetration percentages.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: September 14, 2021 05:46PM
Mr645
The current leadership has failed to support the healthcare system and allowed COVID to grow and spread. We had COVID virtually under control, vaccines rolling out enmasse and now we have a weak leader that can't keep the nation moving forward. And it's not anti vaxxers, it's minorities and immigrants with very low vaccine penetration percentages.

No, it's Delta!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 146
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020