advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
I Got A 'Mild' Breakthrough Case. Here's What I Wish I'd Known
Posted by: p8712
Date: September 12, 2021 10:57AM
Good to Know

It was a miserable five days. My legs and arms ached, my fever crept up to 103 and every few hours of sleep would leave my sheets drenched in sweat. I'd drop into bed exhausted after a quick trip down to the kitchen. To sum it up, I'd put my breakthrough case of COVID-19 right up there with my worst bouts of flu. Even after my fever cleared up, I spent the next few weeks feeling low.

Of course, I am very lucky. I didn't go up against the virus with a naive immune system, like millions of Americans did until vaccines were widely available. And, in much of the world, vaccines are still a distant promise.

"You probably would have gotten much sicker if you had not been vaccinated," Dr. Francesca Torriani, an infectious disease physician at the University of California, San Diego, explained to me recently.

As I shuffled around my room checking my fever, it was also reassuring to know that my chances of ending up in the hospital were very slim, even with the delta variant. And now, about a month later, I've made a full recovery.

The reality is breakthrough cases are becoming more common. Here's what you should know about getting a breakthrough case — and what I wish I'd known, when those first symptoms laid me low.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I Got A 'Mild' Breakthrough Case. Here's What I Wish I'd Known
Posted by: Acer
Date: September 12, 2021 11:31AM
I have a friend with a breakthru case in just this past week. Low pulse-ox. Barely avoided hospitalization.
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: September 12, 2021 12:49PM
so - because the guy was vaccinated, he felt that it was time to ignore all precautions? no masking, traveling, large indoor gatherings...and was then surprised when he caught COVID? he sounds like he was a bit of an idiot.
Posted by: p8712
Date: September 12, 2021 12:52PM
SDGuy
so - because the guy was vaccinated, he felt that it was time to ignore all precautions? no masking, traveling, large indoor gatherings...and was then surprised when he caught COVID? he sounds like he was a bit of an idiot.

You forget the CDC advice was that the fully vaccinated coulddrop the masks, at least pre delta. Back when they were also saying the fully vaccinated cannot transmit the disease, etc. Science changes. Obviously the wrong kind of carrot to use and getting people vaccinated. Probably should’ve taken the stick approach first, as we are doing now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2021 12:52PM by p8712.
Posted by: August West
Date: September 12, 2021 02:20PM
I've avoided cross-country trips, myself.

Apologies to the anonymous forum member affected by my previous sig pic. It was my personal pic of a country expressing great grief as their leader, one of the most recognized people in the world, lay on his deathbed 8 years ago, days before he died. Like a naif, I did not realize it was offensively political, I considered it an expression of deep emotion and a reminder of the mortal coil's nature; that we all, great and small, can only hope to make a difference in our short time here, no matter the personal cost.

I'll post another pic from my work in South Africa that is, hopefully, apolitical.

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 12, 2021 05:04PM
Been masking in public on my trip , and wearing a tight N 95 on my flights.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: September 12, 2021 05:49PM
I am a breakthrough case as well as my wife. My quarantine ended last monday but I decided to extend it four extra days as I was still coughing quite a bit. Today I am mostly tired (so tired) and feeling like my breathing is harder than it should be. I found a webpage with recommended breathing exercises after covid and plan to begin them tomorrow. Doctor said I should be super immune now. :-)
Posted by: Pam
Date: September 12, 2021 05:50PM
My fully vaccinated and mask wearing brother had a break through case. Low grade fever for a few days, fatigue and loss of taste/smell lasted a bit longer. He has no clue where he picked it up.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: September 12, 2021 10:03PM
Does a home Covid test tell you that you have it, or can it also tell you if you ever had it?

I ask because when I was in Mississippi in July (unavoidable family trip), I had what I thought was an allergic reaction to something -- which surprised me because I've been there plenty of times with no problems, but figured it was because I hadn't ever been there specifically in July. It crossed my mind that I might have Covid, but that felt like I was being a drama queen. I did run a fever a couple of days, and felt exhausted, sore throat, headache, could really have been anything I suppose.

But I never lost my sense of taste, which leads to my next question: is that absolutely always the case if one has Covid?

However, I was in, you know, Mississippi.

So I was thinking that simply out of curiosity I'd buy a test -- unless they don't work that way.

Posted by: Sarcany
Date: September 12, 2021 10:26PM
$tevie
Does a home Covid test tell you that you have it, or can it also tell you if you ever had it?

Taking a test weeks after symptoms are gone is not useful.

You'll only get a positive result if you 1. have it and 2. are in a phase where it's residing in sufficient quantity in the mucus in your nasal passages or in the throat/saliva. There's a bigger false-positive rate than false-negative, so if you see a positive result then your next step should be contacting your physician for a PCR test to confirm the result.

Best time to take it will probably be about 5 days after a suspected exposure, and then a second test maybe 7-10 days after that exposure as it often takes between 5-10 days to fall ill after exposure. (Sometimes it takes longer to show symptoms. Lots of variables.)

$tevie
It crossed my mind that I might have Covid, but that felt like I was being a drama queen. I did run a fever a couple of days, and felt exhausted, sore throat, headache, could really have been anything I suppose.

People who have been vaccinated often have breakthrough cases with symptoms resembling a cold or flu. Runny nose, headache and fever.

$tevie
But I never lost my sense of taste, which leads to my next question: is that absolutely always the case if one has Covid?

No. Some 90-percent of those struck by the original virus might lose some or all of their sense of taste/smell, but that hasn't proven out with the variants. I don't know the how big the difference is, but I have read repeatedly that Delta is less likely to cause a loss of taste/smell.

My impression is that the loss also occurs less often in those who have been vaccinated, but I have no stats on that.

Posted by: AllGold
Date: September 13, 2021 12:32AM
$tevie

I ask because when I was in Mississippi in July (unavoidable family trip), I had what I thought was an allergic reaction to something -- which surprised me because I've been there plenty of times with no problems, but figured it was because I hadn't ever been there specifically in July. It crossed my mind that I might have Covid, but that felt like I was being a drama queen. I did run a fever a couple of days, and felt exhausted, sore throat, headache, could really have been anything I suppose.

However, I was in, you know, Mississippi.

So I was thinking that simply out of curiosity I'd buy a test -- unless they don't work that way.

I think the fever means you had something other than allergies. The symptoms fit and Covid is the most likely.

A regular test won't tell you if you've had it previously. An antibody test would, except if you've been vaccinated I don't know if that would work. Even if an antibody test would work, in my opinion it's not worth the time at this point. It's a pretty safe assumption that you had it.

Posted by: Buzz
Date: September 13, 2021 01:41AM
Vote for being happy it wasn't worse, to much, much worse..... whatever the hell it was.

and Vote NO on Newsom recall in Cali.

==
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 13, 2021 08:26AM
There are plenty of viruses wandering around that are not COVID-19. The 'good' news is that 'breakthrough' cases now show symptoms in general around the severity of these other, more common pathogens. Seems like we are getting closer to something like influenza - even with vaccination, we can get the latest flu iteration. And even if vaccinated, you do not WANT to get the flu! Still cripples and kills many.

I did look - there should be antibody tests that can distinguish between the protection you have from a vaccine versus what you would get from surviving a COVID infection. I do not see any easy information from the FDA or CDC to link to, however.
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 13, 2021 08:26AM
For all of those addressing breakthrough cases, I hope you recover soon!
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: September 13, 2021 01:38PM
Let's be blunt...the vast majority of breakthrough cases in those already vaccinated won't be so severe.
Posted by: Janit
Date: September 13, 2021 03:30PM
Stevie:

The bad news is that you will never really know.

The good news is that you are still here, whatever it was did not make you very sick, and the precautions you have been following all along are the precautions you should continue following.

Although it may seem like certain knowledge could alleviate the anxiety, our current reality is that so much anxiety suffuses the air that it probably wouldn't.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: September 13, 2021 11:10PM
Today I learned that someone in my mother's assisted living place has Covid. The place is quarantined for ten days, they are not allowed to leave their rooms even for meals, and no visitors.

This was exactly when I would have been down there again: the trip to Mississippi that I decided to call off last month. Thank god I canceled, because flying down there, only to be unable see her, would have been a bitch.

I wish I had no family down there. The anxiety never seems to end.

Posted by: Janit
Date: September 14, 2021 06:11AM
$tevie
Today I learned that someone in my mother's assisted living place has Covid. The place is quarantined for ten days, they are not allowed to leave their rooms even for meals, and no visitors.

This was exactly when I would have been down there again: the trip to Mississippi that I decided to call off last month. Thank god I canceled, because flying down there, only to be unable see her, would have been a bitch.

I wish I had no family down there. The anxiety never seems to end.

We need a "hugs" smiley.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2021 06:11AM by Janit.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 92
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020