advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Names Are Difficult!
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: September 13, 2021 11:33PM
From the Depart of You Can't Make This Stuff Up:

A local ski resort, formerly known as Squaw Valley, announced about a year ago that they would be changing their name. As you may know, the word "Squaw" is a derogatory term for women used by some tribes. A number of public locations have removed the "Squaw" designation over the past decade. The decision to change the name of the ski resort is the right thing to do.

A committee was established to talk about it, and input was sought from members of the nearby Washoe tribe. A PR firm was hired, spending a year to test out possibilities and come up with something that would not be offensive.

This morning, it was announced that Squaw Valley would now be known as "Palisades Tahoe". On the surface, this made sense. The Palisades zone at the mountain formerly known as Squaw Valley is iconic in that it attracts hard score skiers doing all sorts of crazy things. So it seemed like a good decision...

...until you take a deeper dive into the meaning of "palisades". The dictionary definition is "a fence of wooden stakes or iron railings fixed in the ground, forming an enclosure or defense". The Wikipedia explains it further in this example "Palisaded settlements were common in Colonial America, for protection against indigenous peoples"

facepalm

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Names Are Difficult!
Posted by: vision63
Date: September 14, 2021 01:09AM
Once this name is changed, we can move forward with preserving our democracy from the those that are trying to force it to an end. But first, we gotta get rid of all the names, flags and statues that just literally sit there and do nothing.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: September 14, 2021 08:55AM
The old name had to go, but...Palisades Tahoe? Sounds like a retirement community in Orange County. Do better people.
Posted by: pdq
Date: September 14, 2021 09:38AM
Meh. The “palisades” describes the appearance of the mountains, I would bet. Might as well make stockade or fence words not to be used.

The Grand Tetons (named by those naughty French-Canadian trappers) should cause a ruckus before this one.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: September 14, 2021 09:40AM
"The English name for Lake Tahoe derives from the Washo word 'dá’aw,' meaning 'The Lake.'"

... or literally, lake the lake. grinning smiley
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: September 14, 2021 01:40PM
DeusxMac
"The English name for Lake Tahoe derives from the Washo word 'dá’aw,' meaning 'The Lake.'"

... or literally, lake the lake. grinning smiley

Much like The La Brea Tar Pits
Date: September 14, 2021 01:40PM
Oh, and Mount Fujiyama.
Posted by: hal
Date: September 14, 2021 01:41PM
I find the objection to Palisade ridiculous. Many mountians have 'palisade' in their name.

North Palisade is one of my fav mountains (left)
Date: September 14, 2021 01:50PM
hal
I find the objection to Palisade ridiculous. Many mountians have 'palisade' in their name.

It's like objecting to the word "Blanket" because that's what was used to deliver smallpox, IMO.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: September 14, 2021 02:02PM

e pluribus unum
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: September 14, 2021 02:13PM
Oh, I have no objection to the word "palisade", as it does have many different meanings. The serious public article I wrote focused on the positive associations of the word Palisades because of that zone at SV.

I only came here to giggle about the other meanings as I couldn't really do that in a public ski blog.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2021 04:25PM by Markintosh.
Date: September 14, 2021 02:28PM
Posted by: pdq
Date: September 14, 2021 04:14PM
DeusxMac

[en.wikipedia.org]

[www.youtube.com]

It's funny you should post that. One of the first things that came to my mind were the ads for this magical, impossibly remote place called "Palisades Park" in "New Jersey" that Batman and Robin or Superman would pitch in the back pages of DC Comics when I was a kid.

One free admission - worth 85 cents!
Posted by: RgrF
Date: September 14, 2021 05:43PM
Freddy's take

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2021 05:45PM by RgrF.
Date: September 14, 2021 05:45PM
RgrF
Freddy Cannon

repost smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 88
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020