advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
This might be the simplest explanation of how mRNA vaccines work and why the Covid vaccine wasn't rushed.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: September 16, 2021 08:18AM
The long road to mRNA vaccines.

Today’s success with mRNA vaccines against COVID-19 comes from the decades of research that came before it.

[cihr-irsc.gc.ca]

Grateful11
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: This might be the simplest explanation of how mRNA vaccines work and why the Covid vaccine wasn't rushed.
Posted by: pdq
Date: September 16, 2021 08:59AM
Nice.

I have to say, I was initially cautious about the RNA vaccines - I believe the Covid RNA vaccines are the first RNA vaccines used in humans, at least on this scale, and I was concerned about unforeseen problems that could manifest themselves when millions/billions of people were vaccinated.

But when the time came, I followed the best science and rolled up my sleeve. And I’m happy to say my concerns appear to have been groundless.

Safe and effective mRNA vaccines, tested in the heat of battle, if you will, are not only lifesaving in Covid - as the linked timeline shows, the next time a “new” virus comes along, we will likely again be able to sequence it, analyze it, and make a new RNA vaccine in a few months.

Honestly, a revolution in vaccine technology. Not one that came overnight, but one we will probably look back on as a turning point.
Re: This might be the simplest explanation of how mRNA vaccines work and why the Covid vaccine wasn't rushed.
Posted by: p8712
Date: September 16, 2021 09:17AM

Safe and effective mRNA vaccines, tested in the heat of battle, if you will, are not only lifesaving in Covid

When AREN’T vaccines tested this way?
Posted by: lost in space
Date: September 16, 2021 09:25AM
Wow. Great article. Thanks for posting!

Posted by: pdq
Date: September 16, 2021 09:34AM
Well, they are tested. But typically over many years, so there is plenty of time to look for any adverse effects.

And so far, the mRNA vaccines appear to be as safe or safer than any. I wouldn’t be surprised to see most vaccines move toward this approach in the future. These days, we can sequence the entirety of a viruses genes in days to a few weeks at most. Identify surface proteins by determining the proteins the genes code for, perhaps days. Synthesize an mRNA strand for a target viral protein, days (or hours). Drop this into a liposome like they did with Covid, and you’re ready to start testing.

Made in machines, not grown up in chicken eggs (for instance), or spliced into some inactivated other virus, both of which have their own potential problems.

Amazing, really.
Posted by: p8712
Date: September 16, 2021 09:48AM

And so far, the mRNA vaccines appear to be as safe or safer than any. I wouldn’t be surprised to see most vaccines move toward this approach in the future

One’s already being tested for CMV.

Cancer treatments, too.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: September 16, 2021 10:44AM
I don't know about all that. I'll have to double check with my sources on the Facebook.

Posted by: btfc
Date: September 16, 2021 10:56AM
bazookaman
I don't know about all that. I'll have to double check with my sources on the Facebook.

Good one!
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: September 16, 2021 11:24AM
bazookaman

No need: They are all made from 100% aborted fetuses from Ralph Northam's mandatory abortion law in VA.

Also, 100% of vaccinated people have grown tails.
Posted by: TheCaber
Date: September 16, 2021 12:38PM
Lux Interior
bazookaman

No need: They are all made from 100% aborted fetuses from Ralph Northam's mandatory abortion law in VA.

I just knew those coccyxes would come in handy, or taily, or whatever.

=TC
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 16, 2021 01:16PM
TheCaber
Lux Interior

I just knew those coccyxes would come in handy, or taily, or whatever.
Explains the level of butthurt evidenced in the Trumplican headspace. Growing caudal vertebrae probably hurts.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: September 16, 2021 05:26PM
bazookaman

Don't forget a consult with the medical researchers at Reddit University Hospital and Coffee Bar.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: September 17, 2021 06:25AM
Racer X
bazookaman

Don't forget a consult with the medical researchers at Reddit University Hospital and Coffee Bar.

Well. My neighbor said his cousin's brother's wife's step daughter-in-law's hair changed color after she got the vaccine.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 139
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020