AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
"DOJ moves to block Purdue Pharma deal shielding Sacklers"
Posted by: Ted King
Date: September 16, 2021 01:47PM
Follow-up on this thread:

[forums.macresource.com]

[thehill.com]

Purdue Pharma’s controversial bankruptcy deal that shields members of the Sackler family from being sued in future opioid-related lawsuits.

U.S Trustee for the DOJ William Harrington filed a request for an expedited stay to prevent the OxyContin-maker’s agreement that a federal judge signed off on earlier this month from going into effect. The DOJ throughout Purdue Pharma’s bankruptcy has blasted the settlement as “unlawful” and “unconstitutional.”

Through the deal in question, members of the Sackler family would give up ownership of Purdue Pharma and supply more than $4 billion in cash and charitable assets over nine years. The company’s assets would be sent to a new company focused on fighting opioid addiction.

In exchange, the family members would avoid admitting wrongdoing and be granted immunity against future legal claims.

Harrington had previously argued in other court documents that the agreement allows members of the Sackler family to dodge accountability for “alleged wrongdoing in concocting and perpetuating for profit one of the most severe public health crises ever experienced in the United States.”

The Sackler family itself has not filed for bankruptcy.

e pluribus unum
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: "DOJ moves to block Purdue Pharma deal shielding Sacklers"
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 16, 2021 03:37PM
Heck yeah. Kill the Trump-generated sweetheart deal.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: September 17, 2021 07:08PM
Leave the Sacklers alone.

Work on a genetic modifier that cures addiction.

Do we sue the automakers into oblivion because of all the drunk, doped up, unlicensed, sleeping drivers that abuse motor vehicles?

Opioid addiction is bad. Most addiction is bad (though I hereby reserve a personal exemption for chocolate).

The Sacklers are merely a convenient enemy in the "war" against opioid addiction; but in being so, they're a misplaced enemy. The real enemy is addiction itself. I would argue that there's more of a true societal need for opioids like OxyContin than there is for alcohol. Don't even get me started on my rage against tobacco. What's gonna happen with all the recently legalized pot? Find something the bureaucrats can tax, and sooner or later they'll legalize it.

For many patients, drugs like OxyContin are a godsend. Some people will always find a way to abuse stuff that shouldn't be abused. The Sacklers cannot be blamed for everything; they gave up their company, and billions of dollars--- they're not personally responsible for other people's addictions and the harm they cause, or that comes to them because of their own abuses.

I'm not a fan of the Sacklers, but we stopped burning witches at the stake a few generations back.
Or at least I thought we did.
==
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: September 18, 2021 08:06AM
Buzz
Do we sue the automakers into oblivion because of all the drunk, doped up, unlicensed, sleeping drivers that abuse motor vehicles?

False analogy. We sue them for dangerous products. See Grimshaw v. Ford Motor Co. and Indiana v. Ford Motor Co.

Buzz
The Sacklers are merely a convenient enemy in the "war" against opioid addiction; but in being so, they're a misplaced enemy.

"In 1996, Purdue Pharma introduced OxyContin, a version of oxycodone reformulated in a slow-release form. Heavily promoted, oxycodone is seen as a key drug in the emergence of the opioid epidemic."

"In 2019, a suit was brought in the Southern District of New York, which included more than 500 counties, cities and Native American tribes. It named eight family members: Richard, Jonathan, Mortimer, Kathe, David, Beverly and Theresa Sackler as well as Ilene Sackler Lefcourt. In addition, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island and Utah all brought suits against the family. On the federal level, the family faced an overall bundle of 1,600 cases."

Buzz
Leave the Sacklers alone.
The real enemy is addiction itself. Some people will always find a way to abuse stuff that shouldn't be abused. The Sacklers cannot be blamed for everything... they're not personally responsible for other people's addictions and the harm they cause, or that comes to them because of their own abuses.

Sounds a lot like "blame the addict, leave the pusher alone".

Buzz
I'm not a fan of the Sacklers, but we stopped burning witches at the stake a few generations back.
Or at least I thought we did.
==

"Witch hunt" denotes a search for an offender who is, in fact, fictional. The manufacture, distribution, and profits from OxyContin are not fictional.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: September 18, 2021 12:21PM
The allegations are that some members of the Sackler family were personally involved in pushing the opioids out in numbers well beyond those needed for prescriptions as well as providing big incentives for prescribing them. Not all members of the family have been named in the various law suits. I see no reason for their portions of the family wealth to be shielded.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 103
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020