AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Minnesota dept of public safety is trying not to shoot you
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: September 17, 2021 07:26AM
No. Just no.
[twitter.com]

Couple of things.
Nobody stores their DL in a pouch in the car. It's with you, in your wallet. Because you need it to buy wine even though you're almost 60. And have these cops never heard of identity theft?

Also, how about just not shooting unarmed civilians?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Minnesota dept of public safety is trying not to shoot you
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: September 17, 2021 07:49AM
So now the bar will be set at they’ll go into defcon 3 if ::gasp:: you don’t have an oh-fficial papers pouch Like Every Honest Citizen? Will keeping your license in your wallet or purse now be ‘suspicious’ enough to get you pulled out of your car before you can reach for it?

Wasn’t the idea of better training supposed to be for police, not civilians?

National Suicide Prevention Hotline tel:1-800-273-8255

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: September 17, 2021 08:04AM
Lemon Drop
No. Just no.
[twitter.com]

Couple of things.
Nobody stores their DL in a pouch in the car. It's with you, in your wallet. Because you need it to buy wine even though you're almost 60. And have these cops never heard of identity theft?

Also, how about just not shooting unarmed civilians?

Also need your ID to buy glue or sudafed. Identity theft is a mega worry. what planet are they on?

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Acer
Date: September 17, 2021 08:16AM
I keep my Glock velcroed to the seat between my legs so I don't need to reach.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2021 08:18AM by Acer.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: September 17, 2021 10:55AM
Acer
I keep my Glock velcroed to the seat between my legs so I don't need to reach.

This guy gets it!

Posted by: Todd's keyboard
Date: September 17, 2021 11:10AM
IIRC, California used to require vehicles to have the registration paper displayed in a viewable spot. It was common to have the registration taped to the steering column or on the dash, visible through the window. The law was changed when folks realized that the vehicle owners' names and addresses were on display.

As a child, I was once spotted by mall security entering (by myself) my parents car and getting something out of the glove compartment. The security officer let me go when I could tell him the address of the owner, my father, which he verified by looking at the registration.

Todd's where-are-the-snows-of-yesteryear board
Posted by: deckeda
Date: September 17, 2021 11:34AM
Valerie Castile‘s heart may be in the right place with her advocacy of this, but her son was killed because he was Black.

I am not a fan of “making it easier for cops,” which assumes they are so much at risk they can barely roll up to an event without an armada and the driver presumed guilty of anything.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: September 17, 2021 11:46AM
Perhaps..,

Siege mentality

“… a collective state of mind in which a group of people cops believe themselves constantly attacked, oppressed, or isolated in the face of the negative intentions of the rest of the world their community.”
Date: September 17, 2021 12:28PM
deckeda
Valerie Castile‘s heart may be in the right place with her advocacy of this, but her son was killed because he was Black.

I am not a fan of “making it easier for cops,” which assumes they are so much at risk they can barely roll up to an event without an armada and the driver presumed guilty of anything.

Not going over well. Had they done any research at all before launching this, they would have found that out.

[bringmethenews.com]

I wonder who is making money selling these things to LE agencies?
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 17, 2021 12:36PM
Nobody stores their DL in a pouch in the car.

True.

An interesting practice years ago, was young adult males keeping their wallet in the trunk of their car.

A traffic stop necessitated the driver getting out, opening the truck to retrieve it.

The explanation I was given was because of style, nobody wanted a wallet to ruin the line of their pants.

But caution was the watchword when allowing someone to open the trunk.

IIRC, California used to require vehicles to have the registration paper displayed in a viewable spot.

There were holders sold to secure the registration to either the sun visor or the steering column.

Not to be a pedant, but the names and addresses were always visible; it's only when it became obvious the information was used to commit crimes, and that took some time to be changed.

“… a collective state of mind in which a group of people cops believe themselves constantly attacked, oppressed, or isolated in the face of the negative intentions of the rest of the world their community.”

It's not like there isn't some basis for that believe [see the irony in the above], and it has little to nothing to do with not being Officer Friendly.

Domestic arguments and traffic stop are the two most common calls for service/actions in which cops are injured or killed.

So like it or not, anticipating the possibility of being shot or run over is a necessity of survival.

Now things are probably very different in Mayberry, RFD, and I can appreciate that.

Some risk needs to be insured, just so innocent people aren't shot.

But realize that when walking up to a car and require the complete submission of handing over a license, registration, and proof of insurance, that someone reaching for a firearm instead of their wallet, will very likely be able to shoot the cop before he can draw and fire.

That's how action and reactions work.

It often isn't pretty.

Walking up thinking 'it's just another car stop' is not doing the job right.

So yes, when a cop shoots someone he or she shouldn't have, responsibility needs to be accepted and accountability held.

It's easy to kick back and post as though all cops go to work looking for the chance to kill someone, as though you know or could do better, fun for the whole forum.

It's not a binary occupation.

Really, if the job was easy, you could do it.

A wise man told me not to respond to posts like this/these, and I really should take his advice.

But like others responding to the insanity of actions of the Red Hatted League, I can't help myself.

I really have to work on that, because it was good advice.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: September 17, 2021 01:01PM
Todd's keyboard
IIRC, California used to require vehicles to have the registration paper displayed in a viewable spot. It was common to have the registration taped to the steering column or on the dash, visible through the window.

Oh, wow! That triggered a flashback to my California youth. I remember the holder strapped to the car's steering column.

Way back before airbags & power-adjustable steering wheels!
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 17, 2021 01:20PM

LOL!

That was before power windows, power seats, solid state radios, and padded dashboards.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: September 17, 2021 01:50PM
Here's an excellent article by an ex-cop about how cops are trained, how many civilians they kill each year nationwide, how many cops die while on duty in a year and how they die, how dangerous it is to be a cop relative to a number of other jobs, and some changes being demanded by the people who pay cops' salaries.

[medium.com]

Violence by police against civilians is a huge problem and is unique to the US, in other countries police stay safe without shooting and killing so many people.
And there is no correlation between level of crime in a city and likelihood of being shot by cops.

We know who gets killed most often by cops, and why.

[mappingpoliceviolence.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2021 01:51PM by Lemon Drop.
Date: September 17, 2021 02:03PM
RAMd®d

LOL!

That was before power windows, power seats, solid state radios, and padded dashboards.

Yes, before many things, but I was recalling those long steering columns of old that had room for the papers.

No space there now.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: September 17, 2021 04:22PM
The only telescoping those old steering columns did was through a driver's chest during a front end collision.
Posted by: August West
Date: September 17, 2021 04:33PM

when a cop shoots someone he or she shouldn't have, responsibility needs to be accepted and accountability held.

If it was that easy, there wouldn't be such a preponderant

...basis for that believe [see the irony in the above].

Apologies to the anonymous forum member affected by my previous sig pic. It was my personal pic of a country expressing great grief as their leader, one of the most recognized people in the world, lay on his deathbed 8 years ago, days before he died. Like a naif, I did not realize it was offensively political, I considered it an expression of deep emotion and a reminder of the mortal coil's nature; that we all, great and small, can only hope to make a difference in our short time here, no matter the personal cost.

I'll post another pic from my work in South Africa that is, hopefully, apolitical.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 136
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020