advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Pediatric Diabetes Surge in Mississippi: Doctors Concerned COVID-19 Is To Blame
Posted by: p8712
Date: September 19, 2021 05:41PM
More happy reading

Dr. Jessica Lilley is a pediatric endocrinologist at the Mississippi Center for Advanced Medicine. For eight years she has seen children from across the state for pediatric diabetes and other hormonal issues. With each passing month of the pandemic, Lilley has grown increasingly concerned that COVID-19 is linked to a massive increase in new diagnoses of pediatric diabetes throughout Mississippi. Lilley is not alone in her observation. In conferring with other pediatric endocrinologists across the state and nation, Lilley says the spike in new cases is widespread. “We are all seeing an increase in type 1 diabetes diagnoses as well as type 2 diabetes diagnoses. Those of us who tracked it have noticed anywhere from a 30% to 40% increase compared to (2019),” she told the Mississippi Free Press in a series of interviews in August and September. The full measure of childhood diabetes emerging during the COVID-19 pandemic is still unknown. But experts are deeply concerned across the nation. In late June 2021, at the 81st Scientific Sessions of the American Diabetes Association, pediatric endocrinologist Dr. Brynn E. Marks of Children’s National Hospital warned of a “staggering increase in cases of type 2 diabetes,” as well as an “increase in the severity of (the disease’s) presentation.”

But evidence exists for more than environmental triggers for diabetes during the pandemic. COVID-19 is a systemic disease, which extensive research and clinical experience have revealed can target all of the body’s most critical organs. The National Institutes of Health reported this summer that the virus “can target and impair the body’s insulin-producing cells,” directly disrupting the process the body uses to regulate its blood sugar.

“Studies confirmed (the) infection of pancreatic beta cells in autopsy samples from people who died of COVID-19. Additional studies by the Jackson team suggest that the coronavirus may preferentially infect the insulin-producing beta cells,” Dr. Francis Collins, director of the NIH, wrote.

Lilley’s fears extend beyond the sharp uptick of pediatric diabetes seen in 2020. No period of infection has spread more among Mississippi young people than the delta variant of coronavirus. By late August, schools across Mississippi had already identified thousands more cases of infected children than during the entire fall semester of 2020.

As more children have fallen ill with COVID-19, Lilley has seen the greatest spike of new diabetes in the entire pandemic. “I’ve noticed since delta has landed in Mississippi that I have had a pretty abrupt increase in diagnoses,” Lilley said in late August. “Typically I will diagnose a child with type 1 diabetes every other week. That’s been pretty standard for the eight years I’ve been in Mississippi. But over the last two weeks, I’ve diagnosed six new children.”
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Pediatric Diabetes Surge in Mississippi: Doctors Concerned COVID-19 Is To Blame
Posted by: Janit
Date: September 19, 2021 06:18PM
There are so many ways this could be happening.

If the Type I presentation is the result of direct depletion of pancreatic beta cells by infection, there is a chance that recovery is possible, and that new beta cells may be generated with time from stem cells.

On the other hand, if the Type I presentation is the result of an autoimmune response triggered by the infection, then that would be classic Type I and likely to be life-long, given current treatments.

It is not unusual for true Type I diabetes to be triggered by a viral infection. This is one reason why it no longer called "Juvenile Diabetes."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2021 06:21PM by Janit.
Re: Pediatric Diabetes Surge in Mississippi: Doctors Concerned COVID-19 Is To Blame
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 20, 2021 05:52AM
My wife went from type 2 to type 1 immediately after her covid battle. Her A1C went from 6.3 to 12.4 in less than a month. She is still struggling to get her numbers under control.

Her diabetes dr (can't think of the official term right now) said he is seeing this routinely in post-covid patients. That his colleagues are reporting the same.

Covid, the gift that keeps on giving.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: p8712
Date: September 20, 2021 06:50AM
Ombligo
My wife went from type 2 to type 1 immediately after her covid battle. Her A1C went from 6.3 to 12.4 in less than a month. She is still struggling to get her numbers under control.

Her diabetes dr (can't think of the official term right now) said he is seeing this routinely in post-covid patients. That his colleagues are reporting the same.

Covid, the gift that keeps on giving.

I remember you mentioning diabetes before. I’m sorry I hope she gets her numbers down. Learning to manage insulin is tough, assuming she wasn’t already doing it as a type two.

But hey, 99% survival rate, right? Even if it gives us a plague of diabetes to deal with for the next few decades.
Posted by: bfd
Date: September 23, 2021 11:56AM
One of the prevalent schools of thought has been that a predisposition to T1 diabetes along with some kind of viral trigger is involved, but it remains just a popular conjecture. We may never know for sure.

When we say something is "linked", it's not enough to provide anecdotal data. The two (Covid and Diabetes) could just as likely be coincidental for all we know. If the conjecture is that the two are co-related, then that also needs to be studied.

Maybe it's another effect of our looming climate change …

And then… it's Mississippi. Perhaps poverty and/or spotty health care is a driving force.

All interesting conjectures, though.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: September 23, 2021 12:33PM
Mississippi has the highest obesity rates in the country.
[worldpopulationreview.com]

“Obesity can lead to increased health risks such as type 2 diabetes…”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2021 12:33PM by DeusxMac.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 133
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020