advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Texas Ob/Gyn stands up to challenge Texas law
Posted by: pdq
Date: September 19, 2021 06:12PM
Takes some guts, Dr. Braid. Remember his name.

A Texas doctor is publicly revealing that he violated a state law that bans abortions after six weeks and says he is inviting legal challenges under the controversial law, which has so far withstood efforts by pro-abortion rights supporters to block it.

"On the morning of Sept. 6, I provided an abortion to a woman who, though still in her first trimester, was beyond the state's new limit. I acted because I had a duty of care to this patient, as I do for all patients, and because she has a fundamental right to receive this care," Dr. Alan Braid, a physician in San Antonio, Texas, wrote in an op-ed published Saturday in The Washington Post.

"I fully understood that there could be legal consequences — but I wanted to make sure that Texas didn't get away with its bid to prevent this blatantly unconstitutional law from being tested," he wrote.

No small thing. This guy is not young - starting residency in '72, he's probably 70+. And doctors who provide abortions have been murdered for it. And unless I'm mistaken, he could face an unlimited number of civil lawsuits.

Now it's in their court - do the Handmaid's Tale crew stand up meet the challenge?

Actually, it's not just in their court - the Texas law says that anyone can sue. So even someone from Planned Parenthood Texas could sue Dr. Braid if they needed to. The law says anyone.

If this goes to the Supremes, which it likely will, the "conservative" wing is going to have to come up with some wildly new constitutional reasoning to allow this law to stand. (Even if Roe v Wade wasn't a 50 year precedent, it blows the very concept of law enforcement to smithereens.)

Bring. It. On.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Texas Ob/Gyn stands up to challenge Texas law
Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 19, 2021 07:22PM
Could the doctor sue himself?

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 19, 2021 07:36PM
The way the law claims that anyone can sue without showing harm or loss invites a blizzard of irrelevant tort lawsuits. The fact that SCOTUS let it stand is unconscionable.
Date: September 19, 2021 07:41PM
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 19, 2021 07:57PM
pdq
No small thing. This guy is not young - starting residency in '72, he's probably 70+

His age has everything to do with why he did this. He is not a risk of losing his career over this - it's already behind him. I'm guessing he considered retiring after the law was passed but decided to take this stand instead. He probably figures they wouldn't want to risk sending a guy as old as he is to jail for this.

All in all, a smart play. He has my respect and best wishes.

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2021 07:59PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Date: September 19, 2021 08:01PM
N-OS X-tasy!
pdq
No small thing. This guy is not young - starting residency in '72, he's probably 70+

His age has everything to do with why he did this. He is not a risk of losing his career over this -

But he is at risk of being financially ruined. Or worse.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 20, 2021 03:24AM
If you think being forced to wear a mask is bad, imagine being forced to have a baby.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 20, 2021 05:38AM
A younger doctor needs to take a similar stand. If this elderly doctor dies before SCOTUS rules in several years, then the case gets tossed and it is back to square one.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: rgG
Date: September 20, 2021 06:55AM
Ombligo
A younger doctor needs to take a similar stand. If this elderly doctor dies before SCOTUS rules in several years, then the case gets tossed and it is back to square one.

He is only 72. I know the courts move slowly, but he should be around for quite a while. Lol

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: September 20, 2021 09:23AM
pdq
N-OS X-tasy!
pdq

His age has everything to do with why he did this. He is not a risk of losing his career over this -

An OB/GYN that old would long ago have already implemented asset protection measures.
Date: September 20, 2021 11:00AM
Bill in NC
pdq
N-OS X-tasy!
pdq

An OB/GYN that old would long ago have already implemented asset protection measures.

I still think there is a risk. This is Texas we’re talking about. They’re making this up as they go.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 20, 2021 11:57AM
Bill in NC
pdq
N-OS X-tasy!
pdq

Was thinking the same.

It is what it is.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 20, 2021 02:00PM
He has my respect and best wishes.

Agreed.

Admittedly knowing nothing about how to do so, is it possible that prior defense measures under gentler times would be insufficient if 30 or 40 vigilante bounty hunters filed suit against the doctor?

Would that be allowed?

Maybe I'm way off base here, but it would seem possible if not likely the bounty hunters move forward with their suit(s) while SCOTUS moves more slowly, and even when there decision favors the doctor, he's alive and poor.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Michael
Date: September 20, 2021 02:29PM
Bill in NC
pdq
N-OS X-tasy!
pdq

My dear old dad was an OB/GYN. He was a wonderful doctor but a moron with his assets. When he passed at 72 years in 1997, his estate was almost exclusively a house in Atherton, CA that he and mom had bought back in 1959. If you know anything about the Bay Area you'll know that mom was just fine after she sold it and lived on the proceeds. My 2 OB/GYN brothers have told me that, at least in my dad's time, it was pretty common for doctors to be taken advantage of by high-priced financial "experts" who put them in exotic investments that the IRS would often audit and disallow (think the avocado orchard in FL or the cow herd in TX...). That's what happened to my dad and his asset base crashed when the IRS was done with the dozen physicians in that investment group. This Texas OB/GYN is closer to my brothers' generation. My brothers aren't at high-priced investment houses and seem to be doing fine. Hopefully this guy will be, as well.
Posted by: steve...
Date: September 20, 2021 04:59PM
The first lawsuit was filed by an Arkansas attorney who opposes the law.

The lawsuit was filed Monday by Oscar Stilley, a former tax attorney in Arkansas who is serving a home confinement sentence for a federal conviction on tax crimes.

He filed the lawsuit against the doctor in Bexar County.

In a phone interview with CNN, Stilley said he is an opponent of the law that bars most abortions in the state, but wants to clear the way for a judge to rule on its constitutionality.

"I am a supporter of the Constitution, and I am opposed to the law." Stilley said.

CNN

Northern California Coast
Date: September 20, 2021 05:00PM
…and now he has been sued.

By a former lawyer and felon from Arkansas.

confused smiley

“If the law is no good, why should we have to go through a long, drawn-out process to find out if it’s garbage?” Stilley said in an interview after filing the complaint in state court in Bexar County, Tex., which includes San Antonio.

He also noted that a successful lawsuit could result in an award in court of at least $10,000 for the plaintiff.

“If the state of Texas decided it’s going to give a $10,000 bounty, why shouldn’t I get that 10,000 bounty?” said Stilley, who is currently serving his 15-year federal sentence on home confinement.

ROTFL

…and inevitably, this goofy law has now entered circus territory.

Yup, this law certainly presents "complex and novel" procedural questions, as the SCOTUS majority declared.

The circus is just beginning, I think.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: September 20, 2021 05:35PM
steve...

The lawsuit was filed Monday by Oscar Stilley, a former tax attorney in Arkansas who is serving a home confinement sentence for a federal conviction on tax crimes.

He filed the lawsuit against the doctor in Bexar County.

In a phone interview with CNN, Stilley said he is an opponent of the law that bars most abortions in the state, but wants to clear the way for a judge to rule on its constitutionality.

"I am a supporter of the Constitution, and I am opposed to the law." Stilley said.

CNN

A 15-year sentence served at home? Felonious former fleece-monger from Arkansas must be a white fella.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: September 20, 2021 09:22PM
Texas Right to Life decries the lawsuit against Baird a "stunt" ... yeah they never intended anyone to use the law, just be afraid of it. Now it'll get reviewed.
Date: September 21, 2021 08:54AM
deckeda
Texas Right to Life decries the lawsuit against Baird a "stunt" ... yeah they never intended anyone to use the law, just be afraid of it. Now it'll get reviewed.

That’s why I love that this Arkansas lawyer specifically stated “Hey, if anyone can get the $10k, why not me?” He’s just following the law as written for a nice little payday.

There’s definitely an unconstitutional “stunt” going on, all right, but it’s not the one Texas Right to Life is complaining about.
Date: September 21, 2021 09:03AM
RgrF
steve...

A 15-year sentence served at home? Felonious former fleece-monger from Arkansas must be a white fella.

Heh. A photo of Mr. Stilley, as provided by Mr. Stilley:

That must be the Arkansas version of the chain gang for white lawyers.
Posted by: wave rider
Date: September 21, 2021 12:56PM
How many lawsuits per abortion? Does this lawsuit now protect the doctor from further lawsuits in this case?

Although in civil court, makes me wonder if double jeopardy counts in this case…

=wr=
Posted by: AllGold
Date: September 21, 2021 03:17PM
No, literally anybody and everybody can sue.

Posted by: sekker
Date: September 21, 2021 05:20PM
I was wondering whether the ACLU would sue for this very purpose.
Date: September 21, 2021 09:14PM
Monmouth poll, via CNN:

Texas Republicans' decision to pass the nation's most restrictive abortion law earlier this month has landed like a lead balloon with voters nationally.

Fully 70% of Americans disagree with the idea of allowing private citizens to bring lawsuits against abortion providers. That numbers includes 9 in 10 Democrats, yes, but also more than 4 in 10 Republicans.

Opposition to paying off these complainants is even higher in the poll, with 81% disapproving of the idea -- including 2 in 3 (67%) of self-identified Republicans.

The anti-abortion crowd assumed (as conservatives often do) that everyone felt the same as they did, or ought to. Not even close.

It’s looking like this is going to crash and burn. Biden ought to get on this issue and hammer it relentlessly.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 164
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020