Re: Amazed. Bush steps out
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: September 23, 2021 07:48AM
I assume we mean Liz. smiling smiley
Options:  Reply • Quote
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: September 23, 2021 07:59AM
Bush #2 was a bumbling President with misguided policies, but not evil.

tRump is a psychopath*.

*”… a personality disorder characterized by persistent antisocial behavior, impaired empathy and remorse, and bold, disinhibited, and egotistical traits.”
Posted by: pdq
Date: September 23, 2021 08:52AM
DeusxMac

tRump is a psychopath*.

Bush #2 pushed us into the Iraq war, which killed hundreds of thousands, cost trillions, and largely converted Iraq into an Iranian client state. He was “the decider”, and he did so knowingly and malignantly.

But I agree with #2.

wink smiley
Date: September 23, 2021 09:22AM
pdq
DeusxMac

tRump is a psychopath*.

Bush #2 pushed us into the Iraq war, which killed hundreds of thousands, cost trillions, and largely converted Iraq into an Iranian client state. He was “the decider”, and he did so knowingly and malignantly.

But I agree with #2.

wink smiley

I believe his "decider" status was actually just him saying "OK" to actions his advisors recommended.

- Dick Cheney
- Donald Rumsfeld
- Karl Rove
- Barry Steven Jackson
- John Ashcroft
- Alberto Gonzales
- George Tenet
- Porter Goss
Posted by: pdq
Date: September 23, 2021 10:01AM
True. But he was the guy that said OK, and I think w/r/t Iraq, a big part of that was personal animosity to Hussein who dissed (and may have hoped to kill) his father, Bush 1.
Posted by: timg
Date: September 23, 2021 10:21AM
The longer he is out of office, the more I am believing the stuff about the Bush administration being run by the people behind the scenes, especially Dick Cheney.

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: September 23, 2021 10:41AM
Bush was so incompetent that his mistakes had horrendous consequences, probably the worst consequences of any president since Hoover, and possibly much greater, given the options Bush had to create much better options. Hoover didn't really have any such options.

And, bottom line, Bush chose his advisors. It's on him.
Posted by: GGD
Date: September 23, 2021 10:56AM
anonymouse1
And, bottom line, Bush chose his advisors. It's on him.

Did he, or did Cheney do that for him too.

I viewed both 43 and 45 as people who wanted the job title but didn't want to do the job, and may not have understood the job description.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: September 23, 2021 10:59AM
He was in our neck of the woods doing a Beverly Hills (of course) fundraiser the other day so the campaign of refurbishment is underway. Even though he's still the worst President of my lifetime he doesn't pose a threat to the country, Trump does.

If he can throw enough detritus and division in the way to derail the fascist train headed in our direction, I'm OK with it. If he succeeds in that effort I may have to amend his designation from Bush the Lesser.
Date: September 23, 2021 01:02PM
RgrF
He was in our neck of the woods doing a Beverly Hills (of course) fundraiser the other day so the campaign of refurbishment is underway. Even though he's still the worst President of my lifetime he doesn't pose a threat to the country, Trump does.

If he can throw enough detritus and division in the way to derail the fascist train headed in our direction, I'm OK with it. If he succeeds in that effort I may have to amend his designation from Bush the Lesser.

Amen to this.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: September 23, 2021 01:25PM
DeusxMac

I believe his "decider" status was actually just him saying "OK" to actions his advisors recommended.

- Dick Cheney
- Donald Rumsfeld
- Karl Rove
- Barry Steven Jackson
- John Ashcroft
- Alberto Gonzales
- George Tenet
- Porter Goss

- Wolfowitz should be in a group with the top 3 on the list, all former Nixon staffers.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: September 23, 2021 01:47PM
Filliam H. Muffman
DeusxMac

- Dick Cheney
- Donald Rumsfeld
- Karl Rove
- Barry Steven Jackson
- John Ashcroft
- Alberto Gonzales
- George Tenet
- Porter Goss

- Wolfowitz should be in a group with the top 3 on the list, all former Nixon staffers.

thumbs up (I knew I would forget at least one)
Posted by: Buzz
Date: September 23, 2021 02:42PM
Still not thrilled with SCOTUS giving 43 FL to beat Gore, but who knows how Gore woulda done with 9/11, and who knows how 43 woulda done if not for 9/11.

Given that Bush the Lesser did have 9/11 to deal with, he was hopelessly overmatched.....

Then tRump made BtL look almost like a reasonable human.

I seriously hope that tRump is the worst pResident that anyone now living will ever have to experience in their lifetime.... cuz he really sucked big time.

I also hope 43 helping Liz will push 45 further back from the country’s rear view mirror.
==
Posted by: deckeda
Date: September 23, 2021 02:45PM
How about we not re-litigate W’s presidency today? He’s doing the right thing campaigning for Liz: That should be enough for now.

It’s good for him to take a stand here and force voters to put up or shut up. Let all of his former supporters explain why supporting him today is a bad idea if they once voted for him. That’s on THEM.
Posted by: timg
Date: September 23, 2021 03:15PM
I'll give Bush this, I do think he is trying to make things better, which is more than can be said of most of the high profile republicans today.

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Date: September 23, 2021 03:21PM
By campaigning for Cheney he's endorsing her yes vote on impeachment, that'll make him dead to almost all MAGAs. There are not enough of them to take the Presidency by themselves.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 23, 2021 03:31PM
How about we not re-litigate W’s presidency today? He’s doing the right thing campaigning for Liz: That should be enough for now.

Agreed.

This activity has become a forum trope.

Sure, if someone's motives are demonstrably insincere, call them out.

But somebody doing the right thing in the moment, should be recognized as doing the right thing.

Instead, there's this need to remind us that someone was a Bad Man or Bad Woman as though it matters when it doesn't.

Nobody is declaring Bush or anybody else, a saint for going against the grain of their past.

We should be glad they are.

Isn't a constant lament always along the lines of 'how can they not see... not realize...'.

Instead, there seems to be this desperate need to qualify their actions, as though it's just not possible for someone with a 'wrong' past to do the right thing, to step up, to see the light.

If my house is on fire, I'm not all that concerned that somebody helping me put it out was once an arsonist.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: September 23, 2021 05:19PM
RgrF
By campaigning for Cheney he's endorsing her yes vote on impeachment, that'll make him dead to almost all MAGAs. There are not enough of them to take the Presidency by themselves.

I think there may be more "Bush Republicans" than we realize. A lot of them no longer identify as Republican, they call themselves Independents, some have even gone Dem.

Some voted for Biden, or abstained from checking a box for President on 2020. Last night I heard Georgia SOS Brad Raffensburger say he wanted a Bush Republican to run in 2024 and that the party needed to get back to its core values (such as they are.)

Trump stirred up a lot of new voters and apathetic voters, who may retreat when MAGA fades away. Soon enough for 2024? Hard to say. We'll see where the big donors go.

Few people hate Trump more than the Bushes, after his treatment of Jeb
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 23, 2021 05:38PM
RgrF
Even though he's still the worst President of my lifetime he doesn't pose a threat to the country, Trump does.

You’re obviously a lot younger than I thought. The worst president in my lifetime was Pres. Reagan. He’s the one who got the ball rolling on all this antigovernment stuff. And then there is Pres. Nixon’s Southern Strategy.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: September 23, 2021 05:53PM
My Presidential lifetime goes back to FDR, awareness to Ike. I'll stand by my assertion about Bush the Lesser.
Posted by: vision63
Date: September 23, 2021 05:59PM
RgrF
My Presidential lifetime goes back to FDR, awareness to Ike. I'll stand by my assertion about Bush the Lesser.

That's quite the range.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: September 23, 2021 06:16PM
pdq
DeusxMac

tRump is a psychopath*.

But I agree with #2.

wink smiley
I think Bush was a lazy guy (his biography supports this) and a lazy thinker. He surrounded himself with the people he was doubtless told to surround himself with, and let them do all the cogitating and ruminating and he said Uh huh which is what made him, technically speaking, The Decider. That doesn't make him blameless by any means but I truly don't believe he acted out of malice or from being evil.

Frankly, I have come to believe that Bush was a latent artist who was in a family blind to such career paths; he lost his way and as a result became a drunk and a patsy. He seems much happier now.

Posted by: vision63
Date: September 23, 2021 06:41PM
$tevie
pdq
DeusxMac

tRump is a psychopath*.

But I agree with #2.

wink smiley
I think Bush was a lazy guy (his biography supports this) and a lazy thinker. He surrounded himself with the people he was doubtless told to surround himself with, and let them do all the cogitating and ruminating and he said Uh huh which is what made him, technically speaking, The Decider. That doesn't make him blameless by any means but I truly don't believe he acted out of malice or from being evil.

Frankly, I have come to believe that Bush was a latent artist who was in a family blind to such career paths; he lost his way and as a result became a drunk and a patsy. He seems much happier now.

That's an interesting observation. Me, I didn't get the "lazy" aspect from it. I see (saw) him as a guy who fancied himself as a top CEO. That you hire the best you can and you get behind them. He didn't want to undermine "Brownie," despite the cascading tragedy of Katrina because that's the kind of CEO he was. I think he desperately wanted to alleviate the pain of the tragedy, but Katrina was just a unique and epic circumstance. I've studied him a lot and I'm still figuring him out.

Don't underestimate the impact that Laura and his girls had on his life. Laura was raised a Democrat and according to suggestions from her friends is still one. She got him through drug addiction and alcoholism.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 23, 2021 07:29PM
RAMd®d
If my house is on fire, I'm not all that concerned that somebody helping me put it out was once an arsonist.

Even if he were the arsonist who set your house on fire in the first place?

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2021 07:30PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Date: September 23, 2021 07:59PM
vision63
Don't underestimate the impact that Laura and his girls had on his life. Laura was raised a Democrat and according to suggestions from her friends is still one. She got him through drug addiction and alcoholism.

I think she was "the pretzel" too.

Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 23, 2021 08:14PM
GGD
vision63

Nope, that was Cheney when Bush suggested they do it his way for once.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: September 23, 2021 08:26PM
Speedy
GGD
vision63

Nope, that was Cheney when Bush suggested they do it his way for once.

Doesn't have the tell-tale signs of a shotgun blast.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 24, 2021 10:26AM
Even if he were the arsonist who set your house on fire in the first place?

Well, that's a different scenario, isn't it.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: September 24, 2021 12:49PM
maybe Bush should pay more attention to his home state of Texas?

Posted by: $tevie
Date: September 27, 2021 08:33PM
vision63
$tevie
pdq
DeusxMac

tRump is a psychopath*.

But I agree with #2.

wink smiley

That's an interesting observation. Me, I didn't get the "lazy" aspect from it. I see (saw) him as a guy who fancied himself as a top CEO. That you hire the best you can and you get behind them. He didn't want to undermine "Brownie," despite the cascading tragedy of Katrina because that's the kind of CEO he was. I think he desperately wanted to alleviate the pain of the tragedy, but Katrina was just a unique and epic circumstance. I've studied him a lot and I'm still figuring him out.

My friend saw him walk right into a door back when she tended the bar in Memorial Stadium and he owned a stake in the Texas Rangers. Granted he was drunk as a lord, but it seems like even drunk you have to be kind of dopey to do that.

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 27, 2021 09:04PM
$tevie
vision63
$tevie
pdq
DeusxMac

tRump is a psychopath*.

But I agree with #2.

wink smiley

My friend saw him walk right into a door back when she tended the bar in Memorial Stadium and he owned a stake in the Texas Rangers. Granted he was drunk as a lord, but it seems like even drunk you have to be kind of dopey to do that.

Hell, I've walked head-on into a full-wall mirror in a nightclub and I hadn't even been drinking.

It is what it is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 174
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020