advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Sen. Grassley (R) of Iowa to retire at 88
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 25, 2021 08:42PM
Just kidding; he’s running for another term.

[www.washingtonpost.com]

Sen. Charles E. Grassley (R-Iowa), the oldest Republican senator at age 88 and a major player in securing confirmation of dozens of conservative federal judges, announced Friday that he will seek another six-year term.

“It’s 4 a.m. in Iowa so I’m running,” Grassley said in a predawn tweet that included an image of him jogging. “I do that 6 days a week. Before I start the day I want you to know what Barbara and I have decided. I’m running for re-election — a lot more to do, for Iowa. We ask and will work for your support. Will you join us?”

The decision by Grassley, who has served in the U.S. Congress since Jimmy Carter’s presidency, boosts Republican prospects for holding the seat next year, when control of the chamber will be at stake. Recent polling has shown Grassley with a sizable lead over Democratic challenger Abby Finkenauer.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Sen. Grassley (R) of Iowa to retire at 88
Posted by: vision63
Date: September 25, 2021 09:59PM
He could make way for another Josh Hawley. These new dudes are on a whole other wavelength.
Posted by: testcase
Date: September 25, 2021 10:59PM
If I remember correctly, Strom Thurmann (D) of SC finally stepped down after 46 years (~one year before he died).

Once elected, it takes nearly an act of God to get an elected official "off the tit" unless they can find a bigger "tit" to latch onto.

As far as I'm concerned, STRICT TERM LIMITS are needed for the U.S. government to work properly and effectively. old fogey smiley villagers:
Posted by: Acer
Date: September 25, 2021 11:10PM
I understand that all terms are already limited, if the voters so decide. But 88 and running again? Maybe if these old codgers did have term limits, they'd spend some time grooming the next generation, instead of blackmailing the us with "My successor could be a nut job, you know, so I might as well stay."
Posted by: vision63
Date: September 26, 2021 12:47AM
Term limits don't limit anything other than the citizens freedom to pick who they choose.

In a democracy, majority rules. When the majority doesn't rule in our favor, it feels unfair, but that what democracy is.

Term Limits are reflective of a way to circumvent democracy. Not in a coup like way, but in a game the system kind of way.

If we can't muster a majority, it's not democracy's fault. It's our fault. We failed to convince enough people to support what we want. The only answer, is to do that.

Term Limits, Jungle Primaries, Caucuses are all in the same basket.

Politics just like most things is a game. People that don't win often win get frustrated. You have to play to win.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2021 12:50AM by vision63.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: September 26, 2021 01:07AM
vision63
Term limits don't limit anything other than the citizens freedom to pick who they choose.

In a democracy, majority rules. When the majority doesn't rule in our favor, it feels unfair, but that what democracy is.

Term Limits are reflective of a way to circumvent democracy. Not in a coup like way, but in a game the system kind of way.

If we can't muster a majority, it's not democracy's fault. It's our fault. We failed to convince enough people to support what we want. The only answer, is to do that.

Politics just like most things is a game. People that don't win often win get frustrated. You have to play to win.

I agree with V (shock you say) but only somewhat. Term limits won't and don't work - age limits (and I say that as an middle-aged codger) could. Give them until age 80 to get what they want done and then retire them.

If we can have a minimum age for Congress and President, we can have a maximum. Minimum age requirements built into the Constitution, when adjusted for lifespan, could well mean no one under the age of 50 should serve in federal elected office (unless they owned a lot of land, in which case we could waive that).

Maybe just prohibit anyone under 40 or older than 80 from eligibility for federal office?
Posted by: davester
Date: September 26, 2021 01:44AM
Age limits are ridiculous. Some people at 90 are mentally and physically sharper than others at 50.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: RgrF
Date: September 26, 2021 01:59AM
davester
Age limits are ridiculous. Some people at 90 are mentally and physically sharper than others at 50.

Actually term limits are far more ridiculous. On the whole, those mentally acute 90 somethings would be outliers, so by that your standard an 18 year-old ought to be eligible for the highest Federal office?
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: September 26, 2021 10:19AM

Here's another guy who's not looking too good at a Nazi rally in Georgia yesterday.
Posted by: rgG
Date: September 26, 2021 10:45AM
Steve G.

Here's another guy who's not looking too good at a Nazi rally in Georgia yesterday.

Is there any way we can permanently ban him from entering the state?

I saw like one shot of the crowd at that abomination yesterday, but I have yet to hear actual numbers of how many people attended. I would be interested to know.

Also, Please don't ever post a pic that big of him again. I don't need to throw up on my keyboard or phone.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: September 26, 2021 12:40PM
rgG

Also, Please don't ever post a pic that big of him again. I don't need to throw up on my keyboard or phone.

I second that motion.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: September 26, 2021 01:55PM
rgG
Steve G.

Is there any way we can permanently ban him from entering the state?

I saw like one shot of the crowd at that abomination yesterday, but I have yet to hear actual numbers of how many people attended. I would be interested to know.

Is there anyway I can permanently ban seeing his @#$%& stupid looking face ever again?

Grateful11

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2021 01:56PM by Grateful11.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: September 26, 2021 03:22PM
Look at his neck, look at his hair, the makeup troweled on, the disintegration of the whole setup.

Now imagine what he's going to look like when he is 78 in 2024. The psychopath is becoming a worsening bad sell every second.

Even Melanoma's best skin slicers can't save him now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2021 03:23PM by Steve G..
Posted by: bfd
Date: September 26, 2021 09:39PM
RgrF
vision63

I agree with V (shock you say) but only somewhat. Term limits won't and don't work - age limits (and I say that as an middle-aged codger) could. Give them until age 80 to get what they want done and then retire them.

If we can have a minimum age for Congress and President, we can have a maximum. Minimum age requirements built into the Constitution, when adjusted for lifespan, could well mean no one under the age of 50 should serve in federal elected office (unless they owned a lot of land, in which case we could waive that).

Maybe just prohibit anyone under 40 or older than 80 from eligibility for federal office?

The problem isn't age or term, it's $$$. In speaking today with someone who's a U.S. Senate hopeful from California, it was clear that some random donations of $100 or even $1000 weren't going to be nearly enough to even get the guy's ideas out there. So the money machine keeps printing new money for the incumbents. Whether or not "majority rules", the majority in this case is the money. And that's what's really wrong with politics in America.
Posted by: davester
Date: September 26, 2021 10:39PM
RgrF
davester

Actually term limits are far more ridiculous. On the whole, those mentally acute 90 somethings would be outliers, so by that your standard an 18 year-old ought to be eligible for the highest Federal office?

Nope. Nothing I said would be in support of that ridiculous statement.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: space-time
Date: September 27, 2021 10:22AM
We do have term limits for president, why not for congressman too?
Posted by: AllGold
Date: September 27, 2021 05:02PM
space-time
We do have term limits for president, why not for congressman too?

Because there's only one president with a single person essentially having all power in an entire branch of government, and because we collectively decided that the president should be term limited.

Posted by: Fritz
Date: September 28, 2021 12:19PM
my feeling about age limits has nothing to do with mental acuity or physical fitness.

“There is a fullness of time when men should go, and not occupy too long the ground to which others have the right to advance.” Jefferson

Politicians and diapers should be changed often....and for the same reason.

If VCRs were still a thing, many of our elected officials would have 12:00 flashing.

55 and/or 2 terms, then out.
Though many work past, 65 is retirement age.
And AFAIK, many of them fkrs ain't working.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: September 28, 2021 04:58PM
Fritz
Though many work past, 65 is retirement age.

For the record...

Official, FULL IRS retirement age is currently:
- 66 for those born between 1943 and 1954
- increasing in 2 month increments between 66 and 67 for those born between 1955 and 1959
- 67 for those born 1960 or later

"You can start your retirement benefit at any point from age 62 up until age 70"
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 179
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020