advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
A weekend of panic buying has left many gas stations across the UK dry
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: September 27, 2021 10:27AM
Introduction of popular 'Pumpkin Spice Hi-Test' goes awry for PM Boris Johnson?

A weekend of panic buying has left many gas stations across the UK dry
[www.cnbc.com]

Britain’s government is implementing emergency measures in an effort to keep gasoline flowing, after a weekend of panic buying left gas stations around the country without fuel.

Long queues of cars were seen outside U.K. gas stations in recent days, as drivers attempted to fill their vehicles following media reports of an impending shortage, prompting ministers to urge the public to buy fuel as normal.

A major lack of truck drivers has meant deliveries of fuel and goods have recently fallen short in Britain.

U.K. Business Minister Kwasi Kwarteng said on Sunday that he had exempted the fuel industry from U.K. competition laws, which he said would allow companies to “share information and prioritize the delivery of fuel to areas most in need.”

Meanwhile, thousands of truck drivers are set to be granted temporary U.K. visas in the run-up to Christmas, in an attempt to limit supply disruption ahead of the festive period.

Hundreds of gas stations around the U.K. have also imposed a £30 limit per customer on gasoline purchases, Sky News has reported.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson was widely reported to be considering using military personnel to deliver fuel to gas stations. But speaking to Sky News on Monday, Environment Secretary George Eustice said the government had “no plans at the moment to bring in the army to actually do driving.”
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: A weekend of panic buying has left many gas stations across the UK dry
Posted by: Ted King
Date: September 27, 2021 11:32AM
"Meanwhile, thousands of truck drivers are set to be granted temporary U.K. visas in the run-up to Christmas, in an attempt to limit supply disruption ahead of the festive period."

Seems kinda non-Brexity doesn't it?

e pluribus unum
Posted by: deckeda
Date: September 27, 2021 12:15PM
Ted King
"Meanwhile, thousands of truck drivers are set to be granted temporary U.K. visas in the run-up to Christmas, in an attempt to limit supply disruption ahead of the festive period."

Seems kinda non-Brexity doesn't it?

That's exactly what it is. The article goes on to say Britain used to have a whole bunch of EU drivers. They went home because of Brexit and didn't come back.

It's all fun and games for a while, when you want to artificially go it alone in a connected world.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 27, 2021 12:46PM
HHAHAHAHA

Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: September 27, 2021 01:00PM
mattkime
HHAHAHAHA

Thank you for that, many of us did not ask for it.

It seems that hundreds of thousands of text messages have gone out to people who have HGV licences but are not currently driving lorries hoping some can be persuaded to come back.

It's a mess.

Paul

Date: September 27, 2021 01:14PM
voodoopenguin
mattkime
HHAHAHAHA

Thank you for that, many of us did not ask for it.

It seems that hundreds of thousands of text messages have gone out to people who have HGV licences but are not currently driving lorries hoping some can be persuaded to come back.

It's a mess.

Paul

Oh I know.

There's a local farmer I buy lamb from who's from yorkshire and will be returning shortly after a long time in the US. (I'm not sure how long - at least a decade, perhaps more?) They're not returning to the same place they left. It would be very un English of me to ask, but I have to and will allow them to pass on the question - What do they think of Boris Johnson and the general state of politics?

I could really use a long walk in the countryside followed by a good pint of bitter. Not in the plans in the short term but it must happen again eventually.

Posted by: vision63
Date: September 27, 2021 06:31PM
In a country with 66 million citizens, how do they not have enough truck drivers? 'Splain that Lucy.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: September 27, 2021 06:58PM
Among other life aspects the pandemic changed a lot of attitudes about work.
Date: September 27, 2021 07:19PM
RgrF
Among other life aspects the pandemic changed a lot of attitudes about work.

Yeah, that's not gonna work out for them if that's true.
Posted by: Acer
Date: September 27, 2021 08:14PM
Truck driver shortages have been a long time coming, much longer than brexit or covid. It is a function of aging demographics, gender assumptions, and the long-standing reputation that it's a crappy job--especially for new drivers who are given the worst routes.

My summary is based on this article:
[www.redwoodlogistics.com]
Date: September 28, 2021 01:45AM
Acer
Truck driver shortages have been a long time coming, much longer than brexit or covid. It is a function of aging demographics, gender assumptions, and the long-standing reputation that it's a crappy job--especially for new drivers who are given the worst routes.

My summary is based on this article:
[www.redwoodlogistics.com]

I don't even have words for what's in that article. It makes me feel like it's karma why they don't have gas. The dynamic combo of people that don't want to work and people that don't want to pay. Stalemate.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 28, 2021 09:44AM
It is a crappy job and it doesn’t pay well. Before the financial crisis of ‘08 caused the company where I worked to go belly up (along with the death of the owner), I made a bit over $42k/year. The only reason I made that much was because I could manipulate my log book. It was a paper log book in a loose leaf binder so I could just toss an offending log and redo it a few days later. Now logs are electronic. Given the vagaries of freight schedules, weather, etc., I doubt if I could have made $30k if I had had to do e-logs.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: September 28, 2021 10:49AM
Speedy
It is a crappy job and it doesn’t pay well. Before the financial crisis of ‘08 caused the company where I worked to go belly up (along with the death of the owner), I made a bit over $42k/year. The only reason I made that much was because I could manipulate my log book. It was a paper log book in a loose leaf binder so I could just toss an offending log and redo it a few days later. Now logs are electronic. Given the vagaries of freight schedules, weather, etc., I doubt if I could have made $30k if I had had to do e-logs.

It doesn't have to pay well when there are unlimited drivers willing to drive. They're claiming they can't get drivers. What's their excuse to not have to pay better? Maybe because they know they're going to get those temporary visas for immigrant drivers?

I don't have a problem with that but calling it a crappy job makes no sense. The guys loading and unloading the trucks are living the life? The guys working at the stores and warehouses are dancing through fancy jobs that fulfill the very idea of meaningful work?

Most jobs suck.
Date: September 28, 2021 11:35AM
Date: September 28, 2021 11:36AM
Posted by: Acer
Date: September 28, 2021 11:43AM
There's not enough guys on the dock or in the warehouses, either, FWIW.

Not working may be some people's life goal, but eating is everyone's life goal. Pandemic unemployment bonuses are done. Looking-for-work requirements for UC have been reinstated. How are all these lazy people getting by?
Posted by: Racer X
Date: September 28, 2021 08:03PM
vision63
In a country with 66 million citizens, how do they not have enough truck drivers? 'Splain that Lucy.

If it's like here in the US, you need special certification and training for fuel trucks.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Date: October 01, 2021 10:07AM
Racer X
vision63

If it's like here in the US, you need special certification and training for fuel trucks.

and drivers are older, moving out of the workforce, and under compensated.

At a certain level, they're complaining they don't have gas and nobody wants to get the gas.

Date: October 03, 2021 01:23PM
mattkime
Racer X
vision63

At a certain level, they're complaining they don't have gas and nobody wants to get the gas.

It still doesn't make sense. Do they have a moratorium on certifications? They're not birthing new Brits? Those new Brits don't need jobs? It's too many citizens there to say there aren't enough truck drivers. When I'm there they don't lack burger flippers.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 03, 2021 01:36PM
vision63
mattkime
Racer X
vision63

It still doesn't make sense. Do they have a moratorium on certifications? They're not birthing new Brits? Those new Brits don't need jobs? It's too many citizens there to say there aren't enough truck drivers. When I'm there they don't lack burger flippers.

Brexit? Which doesn’t make any sense, either.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: October 03, 2021 01:56PM
Speedy
vision63
mattkime
Racer X
vision63

Brexit? Which doesn’t make any sense, either.

They "literally" have 66 million citizens. It's not like picking lettuce in a hot field. Brexit isn't denying them farm workers (maybe, but different problem). There are worse jobs there. They just seem lazy and privileged. Here ya go: [youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2021 02:06PM by vision63.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: October 03, 2021 06:18PM
vision63
They "literally" have 66 million citizens. It's not like picking lettuce in a hot field. Brexit isn't denying them farm workers (maybe, but different problem). There are worse jobs there. They just seem lazy and privileged. Here ya go: [youtu.be]

[www.youtube.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 75
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020