advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Rolling Coal not cool.
Posted by: kj
Date: September 27, 2021 05:15PM
[jalopnik.com]

Ok, cyclists can be annoying, but if we're going to paint with a broad brush, look at how awful car drivers are! Come on people.

I've seen grade school kids who punched teachers carted off in cuffs, so how this dude just went home after the accident is beyond me. Ridiculous. I've heard super liberal teachers in teacher's lounges talk about mowing down cyclists, so it ain't just rednecks, it's a societal issue.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Rolling Coal not cool.
Posted by: mstudio
Date: September 27, 2021 05:27PM
That is sickening. I never knew what that was called, I've had some coal rolled at me in the past. Let's all obey the rules and share the road.
Date: September 27, 2021 05:36PM
I've probably been coal rolled a hundred times, no kidding (we drive a prius and cycle a lot). But honestly, it's the "I own the road", "You have no business on the road", "My use of the road is legitimate, yours isn't" mentality that bothers me the most. People purposely "buzz" cyclists all the time because they are frustrated. OMG, you had to put your foot on a pedal and press it down a little, let me get you a milk bottle.
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: September 27, 2021 05:39PM
"Police questioned the teenager afterwards, but didn’t arrest or otherwise detain him."

Apparently, that's the way things roll in Texas...
Date: September 27, 2021 05:49PM
I think it's more than just Texas. I think there's an underlying attitude that cyclists deserve it, and "I understand your frustration".
Posted by: deckeda
Date: September 27, 2021 06:00PM
Even if you ignore the harassment, how is striking cyclists not a crime, or at least a traffic violation? Does not compute.
Posted by: davester
Date: September 27, 2021 06:00PM
He ran down and injured six cyclists as part of intentional harassment and they didn't arrest him!? That is complete insanity. I sure hope they at a minimum hock his truck to pay for the cyclists who needed to be airlifted to the hospital.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2021 06:02PM by davester.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: September 27, 2021 06:34PM
Waller is small town Texas, the whole county has fewer people than a big city zip code.
Posted by: Acer
Date: September 27, 2021 06:45PM
That's bull. The kid was driving a two-ton machine on public roads. If he's old enough to get a driver license, he's old enough to answer for his driver-related crimes. This has nothing to do with frustrations over sharing the road with cyclists. He was being an a-hole.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2021 06:46PM by Acer.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 27, 2021 06:54PM
Let me guess …quarterback?
Posted by: steve...
Date: September 27, 2021 09:01PM
Didn't I hear or read about Trumpo Junior advocating the practice?

Northern California Coast
Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 27, 2021 09:05PM
Is this surprising considering that its socially acceptable to declare all cyclists @#$%&?
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: September 27, 2021 09:20PM
kj
I've probably been coal rolled a hundred times, no kidding (we drive a prius and cycle a lot). But honestly, it's the "I own the road", "You have no business on the road", "My use of the road is legitimate, yours isn't" mentality that bothers me the most. People purposely "buzz" cyclists all the time because they are frustrated. OMG, you had to put your foot on a pedal and press it down a little, let me get you a milk bottle.

Yeah, it's this
Date: September 27, 2021 10:58PM
mattkime
Is this surprising considering that its socially acceptable to declare all cyclists @#$%&?

That’s it. They shouldn’t be on the road anyway, so they deserve whatever “happens” to them. To some extent, almost everyone I talk to has this attitude. If you don’t want go get run over, drive a car.
Posted by: davester
Date: September 28, 2021 12:14AM
kj
mattkime

That’s it. They shouldn’t be on the road anyway, so they deserve whatever “happens” to them. To some extent, almost everyone I talk to has this attitude. If you don’t want go get run over, drive a car.

Wow, that's completely insane! Where the heck do you live?

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: September 28, 2021 06:43AM
kj
Ok, cyclists can be annoying

Most drivers are annoying.

Acer
The kid was driving a two-ton machine on public roads.

Nitpicking, but a diesel PU truck weighs in closer to 3-3.5 tons. It depends on how many sheets of plywood the owner though they might need to haul once every few years.

davester
Wow, that's completely insane! Where the heck do you live?

'Merica
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: September 28, 2021 07:30AM
Your factor here is white boy. Texas is very fast to arrest children of color, and then charge them as adults. Could have easily detained this kid in juvie while waiting for an arraignment.

Had he been nonwhite he would be there right now.

Anyway, because he is over 15 and has committed a violent crime, he could possibly be charged as an adult.

He is also going to get sued by all these cyclists, maybe his parents too. It's not going to be a consequence free experience for him.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 28, 2021 07:49AM
FWIW, bicycling in the 'South' puts a target on your back.

Back in the 60's and 70's our family biked almost everywhere. Hillbillies in pickups would harass us. Throw beer cans at us. Run us off the road. Run INTO us... My sister was run over by an inattentive driver... four months in the hospital in a full body cast. I was knocked off the road one evening riding home from school. Just scrapes and bruises and lots of pinholes because I landed in a thorn bush. (ow). Mom ran face first into a car that turned in front of her "I didn't see her !". She called it the time she 'got free plastic surgery' And Dad was killed while walking across the road from the bus stop to his bike.

Mom put her activist hat on organized, and the groups got bike safety laws changed, wide shoulders, bike paths, etc. Now Missouri has some amazingly bike friendly rules and trails.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: September 28, 2021 08:04AM
cbelt3

Reminiscent of the last scene in Easy Rider...

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: Acer
Date: September 28, 2021 08:19AM
cbelt3
Mom put her activist hat on organized, and the groups got bike safety laws changed, wide shoulders, bike paths, etc. Now Missouri has some amazingly bike friendly rules and trails.

Shoulders? Our Pittsburgh area roads don't have shoulders. Most of the suburbs built up after WWII don't even have sidewalks. Add blind hills and blind curves on every through road in the county. Pittsburgh city proper has been proactive about bike lanes, but not the suburbs.

Cyclists frustrate me here. They have every right to be on the road with me. But the margin for error when encountering a cyclist is minuscule here.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 28, 2021 09:20AM
The driver will get cited for reckless driving and will lose his license. The cops are simply sorting it out.

cbelt3

Back in the 60's and 70's our family biked almost everywhere. Hillbillies in pickups would harass us. Throw beer cans at us. Run us off the road. Run INTO us... My sister was run over by an inattentive driver... four months in the hospital in a full body cast. I was knocked off the road one evening riding home from school. Just scrapes and bruises and lots of pinholes because I landed in a thorn bush. (ow). Mom ran face first into a car that turned in front of her "I didn't see her !". She called it the time she 'got free plastic surgery' And Dad was killed while walking across the road from the bus stop to his bike.

If you didn’t have bad luck you wouldn’t have any luck at all.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 28, 2021 11:35AM
cbelt3

This, from the land of Lance Armstrong.

It is what it is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 88
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020