advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Local man contracts virus, refuses treatment, dies
Posted by: p8712
Date: September 29, 2021 04:27PM
Batman?

A man in northeastern Illinois died from rabies about a month after apparently being infected by a bat he found in his room, marking the first human case of the virus in the state since 1954, health officials said Tuesday.

The man, who was in his 80s, woke up last month and found a bat on his neck in his Lake County, Illinois, home. After the bat tested positive for rabies, the man declined postexposure treatment, the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) said in a news release.

About a month after his exposure, the man started suffering from neck pain, headache, numbness in his fingers, difficulty controlling his arms and trouble speaking, health officials said.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Local man contracts virus, refuses treatment, dies
Posted by: pdq
Date: September 29, 2021 04:30PM
My SIL got bit by something-or-other, and he got the rabies shots, which he described as no big deal these days.
Posted by: rgG
Date: September 29, 2021 04:59PM
RollingEyesSmiley5
Why would you refuse a proven treatment?

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: September 29, 2021 04:59PM
pdq
My SIL got bit by something-or-other, and he got the rabies shots, which he described as no big deal these days.

Wait! What?!?

EDIT: I suppose Son In Law instead of Sister In Law. My bad.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2021 05:02PM by Rick-o.
Posted by: Marc Anthony
Date: September 29, 2021 05:00PM
I wonder what the rationale was for the refusal, especially after illness was identified. Untreated rabies has a near 100% fatality rate.

Le poète doit vivre beaucoup, vivre dans tous les sens. - Verlaine
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 29, 2021 05:36PM
Marc Anthony
I wonder what the rationale was for the refusal, especially after illness was identified. Untreated rabies has a near 100% fatality rate.

Rabies symptoms can sometimes takes years to manifest themselves. Once they do, death is certain; until then, not so much.

He may have thought the only treatment available was the older style, painful version of rabies shots. He may have thought he would be dead from natural causes before the disease killed him.

Or he may just have wanted to die.

It is what it is.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: September 29, 2021 06:03PM
He was in his 80s, (not so) early onset dementia may have played a role.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 29, 2021 10:45PM
RgrF

If that were the case, someone could go to court to order treatment. Besides, being in your 80s is not early onset. If he had early onset, he’d be pretty far gone by his 80s.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: September 29, 2021 10:50PM
Rabies virus can survive in bat droppings for years and infect someone breathing the dust from the droppings after the bats are long, long, long gone.

Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: September 30, 2021 06:56AM
RgrF

Or he had some other nasty disease that would be slower & more painful to die from than rabies.

BTW, I made the mistake of having mom's infections cured once she was bed-ridden (with no ability to communicate or even understand us anymore) as a result of the progress of her dementia.

She lived nearly another decade like that before a final infection killed her.

In hindsight, all I did was force her to live several years longer with her terminal illness.

I would not make such a mistake again...palliative care only.
Posted by: Acer
Date: September 30, 2021 08:48AM
Speedy
Rabies virus can survive in bat droppings for years and infect someone breathing the dust from the droppings after the bats are long, long, long gone.

"...people can't get rabies from having contact with bat guano (feces), blood, or urine, or from touching a bat on its fur."

[www.cdc.gov]

emoticon-animal-004
Posted by: Diana
Date: September 30, 2021 11:12AM
Bill in NC

BTW, I made the mistake of having mom's infections cured once she was bed-ridden (with no ability to communicate or even understand us anymore) as a result of the progress of her dementia.

She lived nearly another decade like that before a final infection killed her.

In hindsight, all I did was force her to live several years longer with her terminal illness.

I would not make such a mistake again...palliative care only.

Bill, I’m sure you have heard this before, but I’ll say it anyways. You are a good son. You did what you thought best for her. Beating yourself up over a perceived mistake? Stop that right now. Hindsight, and all that crap. No one knows the future, not even you. Let’s step over to the other side—if you hadn’t had the infections cured, then “what a bad son you are, letting her suffer! Elder abuse!”

Follow your heart. It’s what she taught you. You loved her. You could do no other. Had you gone the way you described, you would hate yourself for it. It’s a tough place to be, as a few (or maybe not so few) on this forum know.

Diana
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: September 30, 2021 12:15PM
Acer
Speedy

"...people can't get rabies from having contact with bat guano (feces), blood, or urine, or from touching a bat on its fur."

[www.cdc.gov]

emoticon-animal-004

Thank you!! Speedy gave me a rise about the bat waste. I have an old stone schoolhouse that I've been having trouble with bats for decades. I've had somewhat success, but never can completely evict them from the building.

After Speedy's post, I did some research and found the same info. However, there IS a mold from bat guano that can make you sick, or even kill you if not treated. smiley-shocked003

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 30, 2021 02:58PM
......holy....batarang......Batman.....!!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: September 30, 2021 10:33PM
I stand corrected. I did read quite recently that rabies could be transmitted via rabid bat guano dust but now I cannot find it. I did find, as others have pointed out, that I was wrong in my assertion:

[www.cdc.gov]

“Other modes of transmission—aside from bites and scratches—are uncommon. Inhalation of aerosolized rabies virus is one potential non-bite route of exposure, but except for laboratory workers, most people won’t encounter an aerosol of rabies virus.”

>>>

“Rabies virus becomes noninfectious when it dries out and when it is exposed to sunlight. Different environmental conditions affect the rate at which the virus becomes inactive, but in general, if the material containing the virus is dry, the virus can be considered noninfectious.”

Date: September 30, 2021 10:49PM
[www.meddean.luc.edu]

How does Rabies virus get access into humans?

Rabies is generally transmitted by a bite from an infected animal (bat, skunk, fox, dog or cat).

In many areas of the world, the dog is the most important vector of the rabies virus to humans.

Other important sources of disease are the wolf in eastern Europe, the mongoose in Africa, the fox in western Europe, and the bat in Latin America and the United States.

Inhalation of heavily contaminated material, such as bat droppings, can also cause infection.

Posted by: AllGold
Date: October 01, 2021 04:21PM
Acer
Speedy

[www.cdc.gov]

emoticon-animal-004

What about if you eat the poop? Is that where the term batsh!+ crazy comes from? j/k grinning smiley

Posted by: pdq
Date: October 01, 2021 04:41PM
Speedy
I stand corrected. I did read quite recently that rabies could be transmitted via rabid bat guano dust but now I cannot find it.

Lots of other nasties in guano, though, like histoplasmosis.
Posted by: Acer
Date: October 01, 2021 11:11PM
I yield that Speedy may be technically correct about bat guano and rabies. But that's quite an alignment of circumstance to get there...heavily-infected, concentrated bat guano dust is not something one encounters often.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 98
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020