advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Merck "says its new antiviral drug cut hospitalizations in half for at-risk Covid-19 patients."
Posted by: Ted King
Date: October 01, 2021 05:54PM
I imagine most here have heard about this drug that can be taken as a pill:

[www.vox.com]

The pharmaceutical giant Merck on Friday reported good news for people sick with Covid-19: Its antiviral drug molnupiravir reduced the risk of hospitalization and death in at-risk patients by 50 percent, according to the company’s interim analysis.

I was thinking "that's really great - if it actually works; I'll wait to see the FDA okay the data". But I heard an immunologist today say that the board that oversees such research called for the trials to stop because the results were pronounced enough that it didn't seem ethical to keep giving placebos. If so, that's really encouraging. Still gotta wait to hear how the government agencies handle this, but hopefully we'll see these pills available before too many months go by.

e pluribus unum
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Merck "says its new antiviral drug cut hospitalizations in half for at-risk Covid-19 patients."
Posted by: bfd
Date: October 01, 2021 06:11PM
Ted King
I imagine most here have heard about this drug that can be taken as a pill:

[www.vox.com]

The pharmaceutical giant Merck on Friday reported good news for people sick with Covid-19: Its antiviral drug molnupiravir reduced the risk of hospitalization and death in at-risk patients by 50 percent, according to the company’s interim analysis.

I was thinking "that's really great - if it actually works; I'll wait to see the FDA okay the data". But I heard an immunologist today say that the board that oversees such research called for the trials to stop because the results were pronounced enough that it didn't seem ethical to keep giving placebos. If so, that's really encouraging. Still gotta wait to hear how the government agencies handle this, but hopefully we'll see these pills available before too many months go by.

That's one of three ways a trial can end:

1) The trial runs its scheduled course;
2) Side-effects harm or even kill enough participants for the plug to be pulled immediately;
3) The results are so astoundingly positive that there's no reason to continue the trial.

Glad that this trial ended in #3, and not #2…
Re: Merck "says its new antiviral drug cut hospitalizations in half for at-risk Covid-19 patients."
Posted by: Racer X
Date: October 01, 2021 06:14PM
But now the anti-vax idiots will have even more excuse to keep making others sick.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: testcase
Date: October 01, 2021 11:41PM
A relative is the office manager for a top Immunologist in NY. We spoke a few hours ago and they made NO mention of any new drug.
Posted by: GGD
Date: October 02, 2021 01:21AM
Racer X
But now the anti-vax idiots will have even more excuse to keep making others sick.

They won't use it, they'll be convinced this is just Merck trying to make big bucks off of inexpensive horse dewormer that everyone already knows is the cure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2021 01:22AM by GGD.
Posted by: pdq
Date: October 02, 2021 08:16AM
I read today that the comparable numbers for monoclonal antibody treatment are 70% reduction in death. But this pill is cheaper, and doesn’t require an IV. My fear is that this gives the anti-vax crowd just another reason to avoid a proven treatment (vaccination) that decreases hospitalization and death from Covid by 95+%.

Half of 700,000 still leaves a lot dead.
Posted by: kj
Date: October 02, 2021 09:22AM
It won't bring back the people who would have lived if they had been vaccinated, but it looks legit for the future, which is what is important. I also read that it doesn't care what variant it is or will be, so that's a definite plus. I don't know why, but this is what the anti-vaxxers I've talked to have been waiting for, so I guess that's fine with me. I don't need them to die so I get to be right about vaccines.
Posted by: kj
Date: October 02, 2021 09:39AM
Since no one has mentioned the name of it, it is molnupiravir.

“As you are well aware, it is likely that we’re going to see continued evolution of those variants,” said Li. “Our prediction from our in vitro studies and now with this data is that molnupiravir is named after the right — you know, it’s named after Thor’s hammer [Mjollnir], this is a hammer against SARS-CoV-2 regardless of the variant.”

[www.statnews.com]

edit: sorry, I guess it was in the OP.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2021 09:41AM by kj.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: October 02, 2021 11:28AM
I’ve not heard if this new pill actually prevents future infections. If it doesn’t, wouldn’t anti-vaxxers just recover and be able to spread the virus to others again? IIRC, naturally acquired immunity is not as effective as the vaccine.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: October 02, 2021 03:22PM
It shortens the communicable phase so a lower chance of getting other people sick.

To treat everybody that was diagnosed so far... $700 * 44,468,000 people is ~$32 billion. smiley-shocked003 Just for the US. Though saving 350,000 people from dying and cutting hospitalizations in half ($24k average) does seem worth the cost.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 102
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020