advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
AP: McConnell seizes on debt standoff to undermine Biden agenda
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: October 09, 2021 03:06PM
The Party of Treason continues its campaign to destroy modern America.

McConnell seizes on debt standoff to undermine Biden agenda
[apnews.com]

WASHINGTON (AP) — In the frantic bid to avert a default on the nation’s debt, Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell held a position of unusual power — as the one who orchestrated both the problem and the solution.

McConnell is no longer the majority leader, but he is exerting his minority status in convoluted and uncharted ways, all in an effort to stop President Joe Biden’s domestic agenda and even if doing so pushes the country toward grave economic uncertainty.

All said, the outcome of this debt crisis leaves zero confidence there won’t be a next one. In fact, McConnell engineered an end to the standoff that ensures Congress will be in the same spot in December when funding to pay America’s bills next runs out. That means another potentially devastating debt showdown, all as the COVID-19 crisis lingers and the economy struggles to recover.

“Mitch McConnell loves chaos,” said Sen. Sherrod Brown, D-Ohio, chairman of the Senate Banking, Housing and Urban Affairs Committee. “He’s a very smart tactician and strategist, but the country pays the price so often for what he does.”

The crisis has cemented McConnell’s legacy as a master of misdirection. He’s the architect of the impasse and the one who resolved it, if only for the short term. More battles are to come as Democrats narrow Biden’s big agenda, a now-$2 trillion expansion of health, child care and climate change programs, all paid for with taxes on corporations and the wealthy that Republicans oppose.

To some Republicans, McConnell is a shrewd leader, using every tool at his disposal to leverage power and undermine Biden’s priorities. To others, including Donald Trump, he is weak, having “caved” too soon. To Democrats, McConnell remains an infuriating rival who has shown again he is willing to break one institutional norm after another to pursue Republican power.

“McConnell’s role is to be the leader of the opposition and it’s his job to push back on what the majority wants to do,” said Alex Conant, a Republican strategist.

“Nobody should be surprised to see the leader of the Republicans making the Democrats’ job harder,” he said.

Biden, in comments made via video Saturday to the Democratic National Committee’s fall meeting, hinted at the damage McConnell could inflict not just on that agenda but also on the party’s broader case to the electorate. The president urged activists at virtual meeting to keep making the case for government solutions, even as Republicans try to undercut that message.

“Just as the Republican Party today offers nothing but fear, lies and broken promises, we have to keep cutting through the Republican fog that government is the problem, and show that we the people are always the solution,” Biden said.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: AP: McConnell seizes on debt standoff to undermine Biden agenda
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 09, 2021 03:09PM
'...role is to be the leader of the opposition and it’s his job to push back on what the majority wants to do'

Somehow, this is the problem in our country.

No, the role of our leaders is to move the country forward.

This is not a game where if the Dems do something good, it's therefor bad for the GOP (and vice versa).
Posted by: pdq
Date: October 09, 2021 04:09PM
FWIW, I don’t think this new December deadline was some sort of brilliant 4-dimensional-chess move by McConnell - I think he got some heat behind the scenes from some important business folks.

I’m more than happy to see him catch some BS from Trump and his right wing, all of which I consider nuckin’ futz. But I’m glad that he went with the extension regardless of the reason.

I think the Dems should be able to put something together, and get an important half-a-loaf of a social bill, in addition to infrastructure, by December. And that is pretty damn impressive given a 50-50 Senate. Hell, the last clown crew couldn’t even start a legislative conversation on infrastructure.
Posted by: Acer
Date: October 09, 2021 04:18PM
It tanks the market every time they do it. Gives his rich buddies a chance to buy Apple on the cheap.
Posted by: testcase
Date: October 09, 2021 05:13PM
Hey, why NOT spend TRILLIONS and TRILLIONS and TRILLIONS and TRILLIONS of dollars we DON'T have just to make people feel better. The politicians pushing this lunacy will be LONG GONE before the bill comes due. MOST Americans MUST "live within their means". Why does ANY Congress get a free pass? angry villagers smiley
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: October 09, 2021 05:14PM
Was that your reaction to the 1 trillion dollar tax giveaway to the rich?
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: October 09, 2021 05:49PM
pdq
FWIW, I don’t think this new December deadline was some sort of brilliant 4-dimensional-chess move by McConnell - I think he got some heat behind the scenes from some important business folks.

I’m more than happy to see him catch some BS from Trump and his right wing, all of which I consider nuckin’ futz. But I’m glad that he went with the extension regardless of the reason.

I think the Dems should be able to put something together, and get an important half-a-loaf of a social bill, in addition to infrastructure, by December. And that is pretty damn impressive given a 50-50 Senate. Hell, the last clown crew couldn’t even start a legislative conversation on infrastructure.

That is pretty much how I'm reading this, too. My only concern is that it brings everything bad all that much closer to the midterm next year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2021 05:50PM by mrbigstuff.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: October 09, 2021 08:48PM
testcase
Hey, why NOT spend TRILLIONS and TRILLIONS and TRILLIONS and TRILLIONS of dollars we DON'T have just to make people feel better. The politicians pushing this lunacy will be LONG GONE before the bill comes due. MOST Americans MUST "live within their means". Why does ANY Congress get a free pass? angry villagers smiley

How is healthcare, child care and climate change work, financed by those who can easily afford it somehow lunacy?
Date: October 09, 2021 10:12PM
deckeda
testcase

How is healthcare, child care and climate change work, financed by those who can easily afford it somehow lunacy?

And yet, the presidents who made the greatest strides to live within their means for the government were two Democrats - Clinton and Obama.

The worst government spenders of all time since WWII have all been GOP.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: October 10, 2021 09:11AM
In the budget Biden sent to Congress he included a couple of trillion dollars in tax increases on corporations and rich people. You can make the case that increasing taxes on corporations and the wealthy would hurt the economy so much that social benefits that come from such taxes on wouldn't be worth it. (Of course, you can make the opposite case as well.) But because of the extra tax revenue it is not the case that the Biden budget was going to increase the national debt by trillions upon trillions upon trillions of dollars. Just looking at the spending number doesn't tell anywhere near the whole story - you need to look at the increased revenue side as well.

e pluribus unum
Date: October 10, 2021 12:02PM
Why not just put raising the debt ceiling for the next 10 years into the Big Budget and be done with this?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 89
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020