advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
@#$%&! Just lost a very close family member to Covid!
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: October 10, 2021 12:07PM
They were antivaxxers. @#$%& Trump and all those who politicized this. When are we going to start criminalizing dangerously life threatening information? @#$%& me!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: @#$%&! Just lost a very close family member to Covid!
Date: October 10, 2021 12:09PM
Despite their political views, which we had no problem with, the reason they were so close (besides being family) was because they were, and in particular he, was one of the nicest people one can meet.
Date: October 10, 2021 12:13PM
He was a young guy, chronologically in his 50’s but probably biologically 40 maybe, good shape, looked very young and was physically fit.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: October 10, 2021 12:21PM
I am so sorry for your loss. I can only hope that other AntiVaxxers learn from their error.

Some good, then, might come from their senseless sacrifice.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 10, 2021 12:23PM
I have some neighbors that fit the description of your friend you lost. They, too, are anti-Vaxxers.

I cannot even get started on the discussion. ‘No’.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: October 10, 2021 01:30PM
Sorry for your loss. Those anti-vaxxer's just can't seem to get their sh!t together. BIL/SIL's anti-vax, Riverside County sheriff's deputy BIL bought the farm over Labor Day. Their anti-vax relatives barely took a week off from touting their anti-vax views on social media. You can't fix stupid, but stupid is as stupid does, and stupid often finds ways to kill itself; notwithstanding of how nice stupid can be.
==
Posted by: p8712
Date: October 10, 2021 01:40PM
I'm sorry for your loss. May he serve as an inspiration to others.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: October 10, 2021 02:17PM
I'm sorry for your loss.

Posted by: Grateful11
Date: October 10, 2021 02:28PM
Very sorry to hear of your loss.

Grateful11
Posted by: abevilac
Date: October 10, 2021 03:24PM
Saddened by your loss.
Date: October 10, 2021 03:33PM
Thank you everyone. These guys were evangelical Christians too. There’s something evil when that community can’t police disinformation like this.

In my rage, I get illogical thoughts like wanting to have nothing to more to do with this/my family. If they are going to do this to themselves, I don’t want to be hurt from them anymore. Of course I know I won’t do that.
Posted by: p8712
Date: October 10, 2021 04:35PM
Carnos Jax
Thank you everyone. These guys were evangelical Christians too. There’s something evil when that community can’t police disinformation like this.

In my rage, I get illogical thoughts like wanting to have nothing to more to do with this/my family. If they are going to do this to themselves, I don’t want to be hurt from them anymore. Of course I know I won’t do that.

Maybe try to teach them that political and religious views are not the same thing.
Date: October 10, 2021 04:43PM
p8712

Maybe try to teach them that political and religious views are not the same thing.

Yes, we’ve had pleasant and very adult (not immature) conversations about this topic over the years. This topic being evangelical support of right wing politics. We’ve casually talked to them about their anti-vaccine stance as well. Frankly I didn’t think we had much to worry about considering they’re relatively young age and good health (they were not obese and were very fit). Unfortunately, they don’t seem to want to change their mind, claiming they trust their sources of information over a scientist. I don’t know what is wrong with some Christians when they think like this.
Posted by: space-time
Date: October 10, 2021 05:41PM
I am sorry for your loss.

When do we reach the point where we say "Enough is enough" and get our @#$%& together as a society?
Posted by: space-time
Date: October 10, 2021 05:45PM
Any word if the surviving family changed their mind?
Posted by: Spock
Date: October 10, 2021 05:54PM
Carnos Jax

You have every right to be angry so stop apologizing for the dumbass. If evangelicals want to disregard science and selfishly play Russian Roulette with only one empty chamber, so be it. On a positive note their dumbassery is helping to reduce the numbers of their suicide cult, so it's not all bad.

Comedy Central: Best news channel that isn't a news channel.

Fox News: Best comedy channel that isn't a comedy channel.
Date: October 10, 2021 06:04PM
space-time
Any word if the surviving family changed their mind?

No word. On top of that their two children recently became nurses. They too are anti-VAX or‘s. Not sure how this will change any of that. Either they all become more entrenched, and claim it’s God‘s will, Or completely fall apart. There is not much middle ground here.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: October 10, 2021 06:10PM
Carnos Jax
Unfortunately, they don’t seem to want to change their mind, claiming they trust their sources of information over a scientist. I don’t know what is wrong with some Christians when they think like this.

Multiply unfortunate that they are not even changing their minds with their own personal tragedy with the disease. Tribe uber alles.

e pluribus unum
Posted by: samintx
Date: October 10, 2021 06:12PM
Sorry for your loss. Hopefully he will serve as what not to do for others.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 10, 2021 06:13PM
I’m sorry for your loss. I feel your anger and frustration about such an unnecessary death. Sometimes there is simply nothing, nothing at all, to be done about something like this.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: vision63
Date: October 10, 2021 06:37PM
This is insane. I bet before Trump, they would have never been so defiantly, dangerously unreasonable. Their lives were important.

Sorry for the loss of your close family member. I said a prayer for him.
Date: October 10, 2021 06:45PM
Thank you Vision, and everyone. It doesn’t seem to matter what they die from when you lose someone close, and I’ve lost some close ones over the past couple years. But this has to be the most senseless, and therefore like someone just whacked you over the head.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: October 10, 2021 06:51PM
Very sorry for your loss, but just for the record, being Evangelical Christians doesn't make people stupid ... my brother and SIL are exactly that-- Evangelical Christians-- but after seeing a good protein of their congregation come down with corona and die***, they made the right decision and got the shots as soon as they were eligible.

***(they read off to me a list of people they knew, and each of those people either had died themselves or had at least one person in their family who died of corona ... I had never heard of so many people dying from it, it seems like it was hitting their congregation especially hard)

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Date: October 10, 2021 07:30PM
No doubt it doesn’t make them stupid, but a disproportionately high number of them are.
Posted by: pdq
Date: October 10, 2021 07:30PM
PeterB
Very sorry for your loss, but just for the record, being Evangelical Christians doesn't make people stupid ...

Of course not. However, one shouldn't be blind (or dishonest) about statistical correlation between being evangelical and favoring Republicanism as well as tending anti-tax.
Posted by: Pam
Date: October 10, 2021 07:31PM
I am so very sorry. You have every reason to be angry. I too have been awaiting lawsuits.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: October 10, 2021 08:25PM
I understand the hurt and the anger. It’s a fact those we care about sometimes have a huge blind spot. You’re allowed to be hurt and angry. It’s reasonable. Don’t expect rational behavior from the rest, for the same reasons the victim wasn’t.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: October 10, 2021 10:51PM
pdq
PeterB
Very sorry for your loss, but just for the record, being Evangelical Christians doesn't make people stupid ...

Of course not. However, one shouldn't be blind (or dishonest) about statistical correlation between being evangelical and favoring Republicanism as well as tending anti-tax.

Interesting, that. The brother is an auditor for the IRS. Every time the government faces a shutdown, we have to remind him that it's not the Democrats who are causing these problems... oh, and that it's always the Republicans who are saying they want to get rid of the IRS...

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Date: October 11, 2021 01:55AM
And here’s the rub of it. These people, and particularly he, was the epitome of ministerial work. They didn’t live by any means a lavish lifestyle. They gave their all to those who they served. They talk the talk but more importantly walk the walk. Unlike the leaders of the evangelical and fundamentalist communities, who like cowards cower behind mansion doors and inject themselves with vaccine, while living lavish lifestyles with private jets and the like. Yet inexplicably, many fundamentalist Christians, including this particular family, respected those leaders, never questioned the hypocrisy. Instead of taking this pandemic by the horns and urging their followers to take the vaccine, they are cowards and greedy and pure evil, because they won’t do what’s right for the sake of their power and personal gain.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 11, 2021 10:32AM
So sorry for your loss. Politicization of public health has been the worst possible problem that this country has, and is the proximate cause of over 700,000 deaths and millions of people being disabled by this virus.

War ? Pfft. Pestilence, and the fifth Horseman, Stupidity, have taken far more lives in the last two years.
Date: October 11, 2021 05:33PM
The second tragedy in all this is, because of their anti-vax stance, which is similarly shared by many of their surrounding family and friends….we can’t go to the funeral. These people are like immediate family. The expectation is we go there right now to help plan the funeral and take some stress off the direct family. We can not do this. Even though all of us had our shots, my 83yo mom is recovering from a recent illness and is also a diabetic, and from what I understand that makes her particularly vulnerable to the delta variant. To further complicate things, one of the children are going to get married in a few weeks. We can’t go to that either. Both of these events will be a hotbed of Corona. This will not go over well with them. Our relationship may be over as a result of this (that will be up to them). This is @#$%&! All because the leaders of the evangelical/fundamentalist Christian communities didn’t come out and clearly squash this vaccine misinformation! @#$%& them, I hope so many of them die, that it brings a reckoning in their communities. It’s the only way their course of destruction can be reversed (since their leaders won’t do it for them).
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: October 11, 2021 06:35PM
p8712

They actually can have a great deal in common:
- beliefs not based on facts
- preferences for the security of being told what to do and think rather than struggling with the actual uncertainties of life
Posted by: RgrF
Date: October 11, 2021 06:50PM
I wonder how much their firm belief in an afterlife plays into this. Do they have less fear of an early death than non-believers?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 116
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020